Collections Duplicating the Music Files?

GotanMusic

GotanMusic

Hi

My installation is Emby (4.8.3.0) on Truenas Core (13.0-U6.1). I recently started adding collections by following the help links and selecting each of the tracks/Albums and then either creating a new collection or adding to an existing one.

When I checked on the server in the collections folders it looks like it has duplicated all the files. I was expecting it just to contain pointers to each of the files - not duplicates. Is this right? What should I be doing here? Given these are FLAC files and 11k of albums I might need to re-think my strategy here  - I won't have the space to create masses of duplicates.

In fact I now see that 250GB of FLAC files on my Windows PC take up 1TB of space on the server - spread across Album artists, Genres, Albums, Songs. Each directory seems to contain another copy of the music file. 2GB are in Collections (only 3 collections so far across c15 Albums)

I want to check that this is set up correctly and I haven't missed something here.

Thank you

Chris

When I checked on the server in the collections folders it looks like it has duplicated all the files

Hi there, what exactly do you mean by duplicated? Can you please show an example of this? Thanks.

GotanMusic

Hi Luke

So, this is my music library backup stored on a local PC - taking up c198GB with 10,484 music files.

image.thumb.png.1208c5e291cf399325b5f94cbffe1928.png

This second image is my (same) Music Library on Emby stored on my Truenas server. 

198GB in Albums + 198GB in Songs + 150GB in Folders + 340GB in Artists etc etc - totaling 1.3TB of music...

image.thumb.png.cf5f01f868f03536aa5792ac97f3297c.png

Is this what you would expect?

Maybe the file system is just not being read right from the windows view - the below is the Truenas Dashboard showing storage... on this view the Music Library is showing 197GB - the same as on the backup library PC.... ?? I'm confused.

image.thumb.png.7d24ed365614409b7f2c83fede25161a.png

Thanks

Chris

Chris

Hi, your second screenshot, is that from Emby DLNA?

GotanMusic

Hi Luke - No, both the first 2 screenshots are from a windows based file viewer via a mapped drive link. Do you think this is just a spurious measurement given the Truenas dashboard correctly shows the music library as 197GB - the same size as the backup?

Can you confirm that if I continue to create collections and playlists, they won't take up the same amount of space again as the original files? (I don't want to spend loads of time doing this only to find it eats up all my space)

Thanks

Chris

image.png.951ca5279c26deb1fca47b1f49c85b7b.png

Happy2Play
9 hours ago, GotanMusic said:

Can you confirm that if I continue to create collections and playlists, they won't take up the same amount of space again as the original files?

Collections and Playlists are exactly that a list of items.  Only space they will take up is the size of the nfo/m3u files and some images for display.  Playlists found in \programdata\data\playlists or userplaylist and Collections found in \programdata\metadata\collections (path varies per platform)

• Thanks 2

Those virtual folders exactly match what Emby dlna presents so that’s what I think it is.

• Thanks 1