Passwords with '@' symbol do not work

Robert_42
Go to solution Solved by Luke,

Robert_42

By trial and error I have found that the Samsung Smart TV app (on a 2018 model) cannot login to my local Emby server if the password contains a '@' character. '_' and '$' characters work fine and a password with '@' works fine from a Windows client. If I change the '@' to a '_' then login works fine from all devices. Is this intentional or a bug?

When the password contains a '@' symbol I see in the server logs:

Error Server: Invalid username or password entered.

Given the same password works fine from a Windows client I assume that the password coming from the Samsung App is corrupted if it contains a '@' symbol.

All devices are on the local network on the same sub network. The local server is installed on a Linux VM.

HI, what version of Emby for Samsung are you running?

Robert_42

Hi, I installed it today. It is: Emby for Samsung 1.0.94

• Solution
55 minutes ago, Robert_42 said:

Hi, I installed it today. It is: Emby for Samsung 1.0.94

OK the problem is that is a very old version, things have changed in Emby Server, but we're unable to update the app for your TV because Samsung is no longer accepting app updates for your model year.

We are bugging and harassing them to try and get an update out but unfortunately I wouldn't hold your breath. Looks like you can workaround this by not using the symbol, or you could install a newer version via USB:

https://emby.media/emby-for-samsung-smart-tv.html

Please note that if you choose to go this route, Samsung expires USB builds after 30 days so you'll have to install an updated version every month.

• Like 2

Robert_42
On 3/22/2024 at 4:07 PM, Luke said:

OK the problem is that is a very old version, things have changed in Emby Server, but we're unable to update the app for your TV because Samsung is no longer accepting app updates for your model year.

We are bugging and harassing them to try and get an update out but unfortunately I wouldn't hold your breath. Looks like you can workaround this by not using the symbol, or you could install a newer version via USB:

https://emby.media/emby-for-samsung-smart-tv.html

Please note that if you choose to go this route, Samsung expires USB builds after 30 days so you'll have to install an updated version every month.

Wow ... thx for looking. 

"Samsung is no longer accepting app updates for your model year"

I did know that but it explains a lot.

Things is that while the work around is easy finding out what the problem was is very difficult ... can we document this? Something like for older model Samsung TVs .....

Robert_42

@Luke, thinking about this more ... would you happen to know what else may not work on that version. It may mean I need to get another TV as part of my moving to Emby.

FrostByte
4 hours ago, Robert_42 said:

@Luke, thinking about this more ... would you happen to know what else may not work on that version. It may mean I need to get another TV as part of my moving to Emby.

The best place to look is at the release notes.  Anything that is fixed or added after your version is what you're after.

If you're happy with your Tv and don't want to manually update every month why not buy an external box like a Shield or Amazon Cube, etc.  You will get better audio support as the Tizen app doesn't support HD audio.

Edited by FrostByte
  • Agree 1

Robert_42

@FrostByte- thanks, yes that is the obvious answer (I was being lazy). The real question is how to let others know that they are not getting the latest version when installing on a Samsung TV that is several years old? I think it would save somebody else heaps of time to be warning that if they are using a Samsung TV:

1. They may not be getting a maintained latest.
  2. Apps on their Samsung TV may have limited support time due to Samsung practices.

Thing is, as I installed it new I thought it would be up to date. But maybe I'm being naive.

Robert_42
15 hours ago, FrostByte said:

If you're happy with your Tv and don't want to manually update every month why not buy an external box like a Shield or Amazon Cube, etc.  You will get better audio support as the Tizen app doesn't support HD audio.

Awesome :-). I new nothing of Shield, Amazon Fire TV, etc. Perfect, thank you. We have multiple old Samsung TVs and this is great solution.

• Thanks 1