Passcode entry looks & feel and question

pbathuk

pbathuk

Hi,

I have started using Emby more recently (moved over from Plex) and really like it, one thing I have noticed and wanted to ask about was the passcode feature. 

The question was about if the following would work - or would potentially cause issues:

I have two local / remote users - 1 is a child account (my kids) and one is an adult account (myself and wife) - only because this is how we had Plex setup.. for the childrens account I log them in and then have set a passcode for them.. is it possible to have no passcode for them, but still have it not prompt for a password each time? (Sorry for my ignorance here).. as we want a passcode on the adult profile, but for the kids we want them to just to be able to enter in with any blockers, but securely (I e. I have already signed them in)..

The look and feel part is around android TV Vs web / android app... Ok android App & web it prompts a really nice looking 4 pin style box that once 4 digits are entered automatically tests and moves into the app.. android TV is a password entry box with a pop up menu that you have to press enter twice for. Are there plans to align the android TV experience with the other? As the WAF on the TV app is lower due to this. 

Thanks for making a great product 

2 hours ago, pbathuk said:

The look and feel part is around android TV Vs web / android app... Ok android App & web it prompts a really nice looking 4 pin style box that once 4 digits are entered automatically tests and moves into the app.. android TV is a password entry box with a pop up menu that you have to press enter twice for. Are there plans to align the android TV experience with the other? As the WAF on the TV app is lower due to this.

Hi.  You can use the standard Android app on your TV if you wish.

2 hours ago, pbathuk said:

I have two local / remote users - 1 is a child account (my kids) and one is an adult account (myself and wife) - only because this is how we had Plex setup.. for the childrens account I log them in and then have set a passcode for them.. is it possible to have no passcode for them, but still have it not prompt for a password each time? (Sorry for my ignorance here).. as we want a passcode on the adult profile, but for the kids we want them to just to be able to enter in with any blockers, but securely (I e. I have already signed them in)..

If I understand this correctly, you just need to assign a Profile PIN to your adult account and then answer "Yes" to the question in the app when you login and it asks if you want to enforce it.  For the kids account, just don't assign a Profile PIN at all.

pbathuk

Would the standard app be a side load? As I have 4 devices to load it onto, so means quite a bit more effort. 

Are their plans to align the apps slightly? Or is the android TV one out of full development now? 

Thanks for the rest of the information, I will try that and see if it provides the experience I was looking for. Thanks.

4 hours ago, pbathuk said:

Would the standard app be a side load?

If you have modern Amazon devices, it is available in that store now.

Also, the TV app has an option to allow you to use your remote Dpad to enter the PIN.  This is pretty easy and no one in the room can see what you are entering.

pbathuk

All Google devices I'm afraid, either Shield TV or native Google TV from the device itself (2  Panasonic TVs with Google TV interface). 

I tried the Dpad entry... Not something that I liked and could use sorry.

pbathuk

Hi, 

Just gave the standard android app a spin, initial thoughts & reasons I can't move over - unless I can't see them:

Blockers: 

- No way to specify a time out before requiring a passcode - as we have two profile we don't always close the app, on the TV version I can set a timeout so that when the TV / shield sleeps it will prompt on wake up for a pin code.. ensuring kids can't watch adult shows

- Live TV seems to direct play, so lose pause / rewind functionality... Which we do use

Differences / nice :

- The pass codes work well

- I'm not sure I like the straight line approach, for me the passcode are a PIN style and should have a keypad.. not a blocker, but certainly different to other apps.

- not tried it, but see that I can have horizontal view.. might look nicer on the big screen (not tried it though)

not tried :

- not played many things, as just testing it, but assume the HDR etc works, as must be based on the same player...

overall, seems to give some pros, but the cons are a little too big for me unfortunately.

- No way to specify a time out before requiring a passcode - as we have two profile we don't always close the app, on the TV version I can set a timeout so that when the TV / shield sleeps it will prompt on wake up for a pin code.. ensuring kids can't watch adult shows

Hi, yes this will be coming soon. Thanks.

• Like 1

pbathuk
2 minutes ago, Luke said:

Hi, yes this will be coming soon. Thanks.

Brilliant, I think if that + the live TV fix were on the normal app, I would happily switch over. 

Btw I didn't actually have to side load, Google enabled me to have both apps installed via the Playstore. 

pbathuk

An extra perk.. loading a file seems quicker on the normal Android App Vs the TV app..

I loaded a 4k HDR TV show - partially played and it took  4.5 seconds on the android app (new one you have prompted me to use) 

On the TV app the same show, same resume point took : 8 second 

I'm not sure what's happening behind the scenes, but that is a huge difference and will certainly help towards the WAF :)

pbathuk

One additional quirk compared to the TV app - there appears to be no option (as there is on the TV app) to chose start up behaviour, which I like to have as "show login screen" to ensure that the right profile is always selected. 

Overall the standard Android App has its +'s, and if that is what Emby is working on getting right, it is nearly there.. but some of the features available on the TV app need to be rolled over to give a full feature set - if possible.

Cheers

seanbuff
1 hour ago, pbathuk said:

there appears to be no option (as there is on the TV app) to chose start up behaviour, which I like to have as "show login screen" to ensure that the right profile is always selected. 

I would encourage you to take a look at the Mega Thread we have going on discussing getting the standard Android app to feature parity with the Android TV app

https://emby.media/community/index.php?/topic/89802-et-for-android-and-et-for-windows-ui-match-android-tv-app/

Listed as #56, a highly requested missing feature.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
pbathuk

I just wanted to say a thank you.. I've been using the main android app for a while, but needs to move back to the android TV app (as the live TV on the other app was causing others issues - no pause / no play from beginning etc), I noticed the TV app has been updated to be just a PIN pad, thank you for taking that feedback onboard and rolling it out.

I think removing the double ok would be a good next step (maybe once 4 bytes have been answered it goes straight to the ok button and then clicking it once will either login or bounce the screen (like the other app) to indicate its wrong. 

Very pleased customer either way, as nice to see feedback being taken forward 

• Like 1