Android TV premiere unlock and live TV playing

liang727

liang727

As requested by the Emby team from the refund request of the Android TV version of Emby on Google Play Store, I am elaborating on the reason for the refund request.

I recently became a fan of using Emby and even purchased Emby Premiere (with the email address linked to this Emby community account) two days ago. Since I purchased the Android TV version of Emby first, I would not ask for a refund just because of the newly purchased lifetime Premiere. However, I went into two issues on my Android TV version of Emby. First, it does not allow me to use the Premiere feature on my Emby server to modify the interface appearance, indicating I need to pay 6.99 CAD per month to unlock the feature. But, come on, I already got a Premiere license and applied it to my server. When using the Android version of Emby on my TV, no problem with modifying the interface appearance. Since I can apply up to 25 devices for my Premiere features, why can't I apply it to the Android TV version of Emby? Just because I paid to unlock it before I purchased the lifetime Premiere? Secondly, which is even more annoying, is I cannot use the Android TV version of Emby to watch live TV (which is set on my Emby server), with the error of 'unable to tune to channel at this time'. Again, when using the Android version of Emby on my TV, no problem at all. I tried both the regular and Beta versions of the Android TV version of Emby, but the issue did not change. 

I still think the interface of the Android TV version looks a little more attractive than the Android version of Emby, and if you could provide me solutions to the two issues above, I would still like to keep using the TV version. If not, I assume asking for a refund is not an unreasonable request, right? 

Since I can apply up to 25 devices for my Premiere features, why can't I apply it to the Android TV version of Emby?

hi, you can. @ebrcan help get to the bottom of this.

I still think the interface of the Android TV version looks a little more attractive than the Android version of Emby

What do you think is more attractive about the TV version?

3 hours ago, liang727 said:

When using the Android version of Emby on my TV, no problem with modifying the interface appearance. Since I can apply up to 25 devices for my Premiere features, why can't I apply it to the Android TV version of Emby?

Hi.  Can you please explain exactly what you mean here?

liang727
11 hours ago, Luke said:

hi, you can. @ebrcan help get to the bottom of this.

What do you think is more attractive about the TV version?

The interface of the Android TV version looks more cohesively than the Android version, maybe because 'less is more'. However, this is just my personal view, and not really related to the solution to the issue.

liang727
6 hours ago, ebr said:

Hi.  Can you please explain exactly what you mean here?

When I open the Android TV version of Emby, and go to 'Settings' page, the bottom right shows '2.1.10 registered', which means I already paid to unlock I guess. By the way, I even tried to download the Android TV version of Emby from my other Google account from the Google Play Store, but it still shows registered, which is out of my expectation. When I scroll down to the bottom of the main screen, it gives me the 'Emby Perieme' logo under the 'Option', and asks me to pay 6.99 CAD per month to unlock it if I click on such logo. However, when I log in to the Android version of Emby (either on my TV or my Android phone), I do not have to unlock it since I already applied the license to my Emby server. Without unlocking the Perieme feature, I cannot modify the theme on my Android TV version of Emby. Moreover, when I log in to the main page of the Android TV version of Emby (or go back to the main page after modifying settings or swap from another Emby server), I keep getting the same error message 'There appears to be a problem accessing your server. Ensure it is running and the network is available'. The Emby server is working fine, and no issue when using the Android version of Emby on the same TV.

Hope it can explain the situation clearly, and more importantly, the loss of function to watch Live TV on the Android TV version of Emby is more annoying, and please let me know how I can have it like the Android version of Emby.

2 hours ago, liang727 said:

When I open the Android TV version of Emby, and go to 'Settings' page, the bottom right shows '2.1.10 registered', which means I already paid to unlock I guess. By the way, I even tried to download the Android TV version of Emby from my other Google account from the Google Play Store, but it still shows registered, which is out of my expectation. When I scroll down to the bottom of the main screen, it gives me the 'Emby Perieme' logo under the 'Option', and asks me to pay 6.99 CAD per month to unlock it if I click on such logo. However, when I log in to the Android version of Emby (either on my TV or my Android phone), I do not have to unlock it since I already applied the license to my Emby server. Without unlocking the Perieme feature, I cannot modify the theme on my Android TV version of Emby. Moreover, when I log in to the main page of the Android TV version of Emby (or go back to the main page after modifying settings or swap from another Emby server), I keep getting the same error message 'There appears to be a problem accessing your server. Ensure it is running and the network is available'. The Emby server is working fine, and no issue when using the Android version of Emby on the same TV.

Hope it can explain the situation clearly, and more importantly, the loss of function to watch Live TV on the Android TV version of Emby is more annoying, and please let me know how I can have it like the Android version of Emby.

Hi.  That all sounds like there is an issue with network communications.  Do you have any sort of proxy or security watchdog software?  VPN?

liang727
8 minutes ago, ebr said:

Hi.  That all sounds like there is an issue with network communications.  Do you have any sort of proxy or security watchdog software?  VPN?

I already whitelisted both versions of Emby on my TV from VPN software. If the Android TV version of Emby is interfered by the VPN still, how would the Android version of Emby just work fine? In addition, your answer seems quite short compared to my list of questions.

Just now, liang727 said:

would the Android version of Emby just work fine?

Because they have a completely different network identity.

What happens if you disable the VPN as a test?

Just now, liang727 said:

your answer seems quite short compared to my list of questions.

Because all of your symptoms point to the same thing - some sort of network interference.

liang727
26 minutes ago, ebr said:

Because they have a completely different network identity.

What happens if you disable the VPN as a test?

Because all of your symptoms point to the same thing - some sort of network interference.

Upon request, I disabled VPN (just realized the Android version of Emby even worked without any problem being not whitelisted by Google One VPN). No luck. Cleared the Cache of the Android TV version of Emby, uninstalled, restarted the TV, and installed it again, but the same problem. Nothing changed on the error message of the Emby server problem, Emby Premiere condition, or Live TV play on the Android TV version of Emby, while the Android version still works on every aspect.

HI, are you happy continuing to use the standard Emby android app?

liang727
2 hours ago, Luke said:

HI, are you happy continuing to use the standard Emby android app?

Most of the aspects are fine, except the interface appearance not as attractive as TV mode, but the function is way more important to me. Going back to the very first message from me in this post, I was redirected from the communication about Google Play Store refund request. If TV version is difficult to use, is asking for the refund so unreasonable?

Do you have a Google transaction ID?

liang727
11 hours ago, ebr said:

Do you have a Google transaction ID?

Here you go, 'CA$7.33 for Unlock Emby for Android TV (Emby for Android TV), Transaction ID GPA.3306-3634-9302-57952'

1 hour ago, liang727 said:

Here you go, 'CA$7.33 for Unlock Emby for Android TV (Emby for Android TV), Transaction ID GPA.3306-3634-9302-57952'

I refunded that for you.