Downgrade from beta 4.9.0.11 to Stable 4.8.3

guunter
Go to solution Solved by Happy2Play,

guunter

Is it possible to downgrade form beta to stable using the backup and restore? Or am i SOL and need to wait for 4.9 official release?

Hello guunter,

** This is an auto reply **

Please wait for someone from staff support or our members to reply to you.

It's recommended to provide more info, as it explain in this thread:

Thank you.

Emby Team

Happy2Play

Sorry you can't as there is a database change in 4.9 that removed the Album column making the database not compatible with 4.8.

As for a backup the odds are you don't have an old enough backup.  

guunter
3 minutes ago, Happy2Play said:

Sorry you can't as there is a database change in 4.9 that removed the Album column making the database not compatible with 4.8.

As for a backup the odds are you don't have an old enough backup.  

I was thinking that. So will i be good to switch to 4.9 stable though when it eventually releases?

• Solution
Happy2Play
2 minutes ago, guunter said:

I was thinking that. So will i be good to switch to 4.9 stable though when it eventually releases?

Yes as I don't believe that change will be ported into a 4.8.x.x maintenance release.

• Like 1

guunter
Posted (edited)

I was just thinking this the other day but does the album column you were talking about affect restoring usernames and passwords? That’s all I really want to restore to stable.

Edited by guunter

Happy2Play
14 minutes ago, guunter said:

I was just thinking this the other day but does the album column you were talking about affect restoring usernames and passwords? That’s all I really want to restore to stable.

That is a different database and has no issues crossing server version.

But will say I believe this does create issues in 4.8 with parental controls as the userlinking will not be the same across databases. @Luke

But you can copy the users.db if that is you need.  And you may have to toggle parental controls on each user to make them play/show media to try and integrate them into the database.

Edited by Happy2Play
  • Like 1

guunter
2 minutes ago, Happy2Play said:

That is a different database and has no issues crossing server version.

But will say I believe this does create issues in 4.8 with parental controls as the userlinking will not be the same across databases. @Luke

But you can copy the users.db if that is you need.  And you may have to toggle parental controls on each user to make them play/show media to try and integrate them into the database.

Perfect that’s all I needed! My server is new and I only had one “kids” account.

Happy2Play
3 minutes ago, guunter said:

Perfect that’s all I needed! My server is new and I only had one “kids” account.

Yes I don't know if I broke thinks on my test system trying to create a new database and had to toggle parental controls for the user to show any libraries, they only appeared via Library setup so permission/access were wonky.  Just a heads up.

guunter
2 minutes ago, Happy2Play said:

Yes I don't know if I broke thinks on my test system trying to create a new database and had to toggle parental controls for the user to show any libraries, they only appeared via Library setup so permission/access were wonky.  Just a heads up.

Okay will turning off parental controls on the account then be fine? I could just recreate the account and be fine?

Happy2Play
1 minute ago, guunter said:

Okay will turning off parental controls on the account then be fine? I could just recreate the account and be fine?

In the end all you should have to do is apply and remove parental controls if you are seeing issues.  Or should say that is what I had to do.

andrewds

Unless you disable updates your beta release may forever run ahead of stable and be continually incompatible. There is not a supported path back from beta to stable. I stopped consuming updates at beta 4.9.0.8 and am hoping that will be good enough to get me back on stable when 4.9 is released. But, it's not guaranteed that there won't still be some incompatibility. Good luck.

pwhodges

You can always go from beta to the equivalent new stable release when it's ready, as the next stable is effectively the last beta of that round.

Paul

andrewds

Your assertion is that the latest 4.9 beta prior to a 4.8 stable release will always be compatible?

pwhodges

No; I said equivalent - i.e. you can go from 4.9 beta to 4.9 stable.  This may seem obvious, but I have known cases (not Emby) where this was actually not possible.

Paul

andrewds

So, literally what I described in the post right before yours.

roaku
23 minutes ago, andrewds said:

So, literally what I described in the post right before yours.

Have you considered that they were trying to provide helpful information to the OP and not responding or reacting to the post you separately made to OP?

andrewds
5 minutes ago, roaku said:

Have you considered that they were trying to provide helpful information to the OP and not responding or reacting to the post you separately made to OP?

Are you actually asking or just attempting to publicly shame me? If the former: no, because I have the consideration to read through posts before replying. If the latter, I'm so sorry please forgive me.

roaku

• Thanks 1

guunter

Thanks for the tips guys. The mods can close this thread.

• Like 1

Happy2Play
3 hours ago, andrewds said:

Your assertion is that the latest 4.9 beta prior to a 4.8 stable release will always be compatible?

Paul is correct as when 4.9.x.x gets release stable the last beta and now current stable are the same.

But the key is changing releases before beta goes to 4.10.x.x.  So you may want to disable updates and what for possible maintance releases if other issues are found at release time.

Staying on an older beta can only potentially create more issues for yourself.

But if you are adventurous then you can downgrade as shown here

Edited by Happy2Play