HP prodesk g5 400 mini

bpKlee

bpKlee

Hi all, 

I have came across an old work PC recently. 

It is a HP Prodesk 400 G5 Mini. 

I have not powered it on as of yet, I do believe it has an i5 9600t though, I have done some looking about but can't see if this cpu will be sufficient enough to run an emby server. 

I currently am running a server on a Linux based machine so I know how to set up everything that's not the issue. 

Just looking if anyone would have information on how this cpu will handle transcoding etc

The machine itself has the standard 8gb of RAM so I would say it's sufficient but if need be I can throw in more. 

Any information is appreciated, would I be best to just run linus on the machine over windows and have docker with portainer to handle all of my needs or would I be best to just stay with windows. 

Hello bpKlee,

** This is an auto reply **

Please wait for someone from staff support or our members to reply to you.

It's recommended to provide more info, as it explain in this thread:

Thank you.

Emby Team

rbjtech

The CPU has 6 cores and more importantly it has QuickSync (HD630) - so it will do transcoding in hardware.  It's a low power CPU as well (only 35W) - so a good machine for an emby server imo.

• Agree 2

bpKlee
1 minute ago, rbjtech said:

The CPU has 6 cores and more importantly it has QuickSync (HD630) - so it will do transcoding in hardware.  It's a low power CPU as well (only 35W) - so a good machine for an emby server imo.

Perfect, I don't quite understand the technical side of the cpu and what an emby server would require, I dabble here and there with linux, only just thought to myself you know what I'll try it out on house rather than paying £15 per month for a server, I do plan on getting a NAS but as I say this machine is sat doing nothing.

I appreciate your reply, I will look into the HD630, I understand it is a low watt system which is good, again thank you for the reply

RanmaCanada

As @rbjtechstates, this will be a great server.  I ran something similar in the past, an i3-8130u, and it had no problems being a server.  It would choke after 3 4k transcodes, obviously, but anything else, it had no issues with.  I'm of the mind that 4k should never be transcoded, so only those people whose devices and internet providers work properly with 4k, have access to my libraries, so it was never a real problem.  I just tested it on my end to see how far I could push it with 4k media.

• Like 1

Darius

I can confirm I run emby on an old i5 4590 hp g800 sff with a 1050ti and a 230w psu xD I plugged it 4 old usb drives 2 for content 2 for backups and it runs fine so far.

The only thing I would change in this setup is using a better power supply since 230w is a bit under powered to have a gpu in the system but the machine I got used has been working for almost 7-8 years now. Something to keep in mind if you want gpu related features to perform well.

If you don't want to bother with another machine for whatever reason and have set your eyes on this one already you should be fine for the most part except maybe for multiple people playing 4k content or very high bitrate media.

Maybe an external gpu could complement that but currently the price point is so prohibitive you would be much better off building something from scratch.

Keep in mind that most hp machines have proprietary plugs for the power supply and depending on the form factor you can be very limited in terms of what upgrades you can do over time.

All of that to say that if you got it for free you should use it but if you find yourself limited in certain regards after testing maybe you could try to salvage all the parts you can and transplant them into another box. That would be the most cost effective solution at that point.

Edited by Darius
  • Like 2

JoLarsson

If it's a mini there's no internal powersupply. It's an external power brick.
I've been running an EliteDesk 800 G2 Mini (i5) without problems for a couple of years but lately got my hands on a G8 with a i7 for free so I upgraded.
Only draws 3w when not beeing used.

Edited by JoLarsson
  • Like 1