Help Needed: Emby Misidentifying Single Episode Versions

MagicRin
Go to solution Solved by GrimReaper,

MagicRin

Hello everyone,

I've encountered an issue with Emby that I hope to get some assistance with. I have a TV series where each episode should only have one version, but Emby is recognizing it as having multiple versions. This seems to be a misidentification by the system, as there are not actually multiple versions of the episode present.

I've tried rescanning the library and ensuring that the naming conventions are correct according to the Emby guidelines, but the issue persists. It's causing confusion and clutter in my library, and I would greatly appreciate any suggestions on how to resolve this.

I have tried restarting the Emby server, refreshing the media metadata, and scanning the media library files, but none of these actions have resolved the issue.

Image 1 shows the directory structure, and image 2 and 3 shows the recognition results by Emby.

Meanwhile, I have another issue that I would like to address.After manually updating the media sources in my Emby media library, Emby is unable to recognize the metadata for the new media source. 

The steps I took were as follows:
- Deleted an existing .mp4 file.
- Added a new .mkv file to replace it.
- Removed all associated images, .nfo, and .bif files.

After performing a library scan in Emby, the system recognized the replacement of the .mp4 file with the .mkv file and playback functionality is normal.  However, Emby is unable to download new images for the updated media source.  This issue persists even after using the 'Refresh Metadata' feature.  Additionally, I am experiencing a problem where Emby incorrectly identifies multiple versions of the same episode.

I have attempted the following troubleshooting steps without success:
- Restarted the Emby server.
- Refreshed the media metadata.
- Scanned the media library files.

I would appreciate any guidance or assistance you can provide to resolve these issues.  Please let me know if there is additional information I can supply that would be helpful.

thanks

60A{L7TAOZN1]_EG}R`U}JU.png

FAC804P}WDA9}75I{BVCSSF.png

UD%6%C44TL0M8}5S2L}E2BR.png

• Solution
GrimReaper
2 hours ago, MagicRin said:

I've encountered an issue with Emby that I hope to get some assistance with. I have a TV series where each episode should only have one version, but Emby is recognizing it as having multiple versions. This seems to be a misidentification by the system, as there are not actually multiple versions of the episode present.

I've tried rescanning the library and ensuring that the naming conventions are correct according to the Emby guidelines, but the issue persists. It's causing confusion and clutter in my library, and I would greatly appreciate any suggestions on how to resolve this

To me that appears as other (multiple) shows have been identified as a same show, first thing I'd suggest would be deselecting library option "Automatically merge series spread accross multiple folders", run Scan media library and check whether you'll have multiple entries listed for the same series. If so, Identify incorrect items. 

Happy2Play

Really hard to say here.  In the media info at the bottom of the page do all the multiversioned episodes have the same path? 

There are a few topic if the items are actually being duplicated.  But need more info.

MagicRin
Posted (edited)

Thank you for reply!
I disabled the ‘Automatically merge series spread across multiple folders’ option and rescanned my media library, which successfully resolved the issue of duplicate entries. However, I noticed that this setting is supposed to logically group files from different folders under a single series. In my library, there are no other series with similar names that would require this grouping, leading me to question if there might be a logical error with this feature itself. The image below is from another series that I have not yet rescanned.

1711004284142.jpg

1711004244134.jpg

1711004606968.jpg

Edited by MagicRin

GrimReaper
8 minutes ago, MagicRin said:

In my library, there are no other series with similar names that would require this grouping

That doesn't mean that those series with no similar names haven't been incorrectly identified as said/same show (that's highly dependent on results returned from providers), resulting in those merging/multi-versioning, so they might still be listed as such in your library. 

Edited by GrimReaper
  • Agree 1

MagicRin
10 minutes ago, GrimReaper said:

That doesn't mean that those series with no similar names haven't been incorrectly identified as said/same show (that's highly dependent on results returned from providers), resulting in those merging/multi-versioning, so they might still be listed as such in your library. 

Thank you for your response; it clarified things for me! The issue has been successfully resolved!

• Like 1

MagicRin
Posted (edited)
6 hours ago, GrimReaper said:

Hi,
After disabling the “Automatically merge series spread across multiple folders” option and rescanning all my media libraries, I’ve encountered an issue where nearly all series are duplicated, as shown in the first image. Conversely, if I enable this setting, almost all series display multiple versions, which they actually don’t have, as seen in the second image. I can confirm that I have not stored a single series in different folders; the general structure of the entire folder is visible in the third image.

I have strictly followed the official recommendations for storing the series’ file paths, which are structured as: Series > Season > Episode. The episode filenames are named in the format: xxxx.S01E01. Therefore, I believe this setting is not the solution to the problem. Could you please assist me with what steps I should take next?

`{WLUY$%N)X}4MDZDRG40S6.png

TH4GK6YCDEVU68HL8.png.a8c15612388639a5bd7f013cfeccc672.png

LVPPG[QI%{EON`0_}@ZV7ZI.png

E2U@$~$D%(OSQ3YC$PX1EQ6.png

Edited by MagicRin

Happy2Play

What plugins do you have installed?  But think that only applied to movies.

Don't believe we know the issue causing this duplication yet but unfortunately will probably require removing the library, allowing the scan to finish then readding the library.

MagicRin
Posted (edited)
22 minutes ago, Happy2Play said:

Don't believe we know the issue causing this duplication yet but unfortunately will probably require removing the library, allowing the scan to finish then readding the library.

plugin is all default.

Would you like me to provide logs for further analysis?

Please disregard any webhook-related exceptions in the logs, as the rescan triggers numerous notifications, prompting me to disable the webhook program temporarily.

C~ALV65Y{DH}JXE@_5N30$P.png

embyserver-63846662400.txt

Edited by MagicRin

MagicRin
32 minutes ago, MagicRin said:

plugin is all default.

Would you like me to provide logs for further analysis?

Please disregard any webhook-related exceptions in the logs, as the rescan triggers numerous notifications, prompting me to disable the webhook program temporarily.

C~ALV65Y{DH}JXE@_5N30$P.png

embyserver-63846662400.txt 39.9 MB · 1 download

I have noticed that there are indeed duplicate entries in the database.

1711040028861.jpg

MagicRin
11 hours ago, Happy2Play said:

Hi,

Upon reviewing the library.db database, I have identified duplicate records within the MediaItems table, specifically for entries with type values of 3, 6, and 8. It appears that type 3 represents series, type 6 denotes seasons, and type 8 pertains to individual episodes. By developing a simple Java program to eliminate these duplicates, I successfully resolved the issue of repeated episodes appearing in Emby.

Although I have addressed the problem on my end, I would like to bring this matter to your attention for further investigation into the root cause of these duplications. Your efforts in this regard would be greatly appreciated.

P.S.: I am willing to provide the data from the MediaItems table should you require it for your analysis.

1711078475196.jpg

23 minutes ago, MagicRin said:

Hi,

Upon reviewing the library.db database, I have identified duplicate records within the MediaItems table, specifically for entries with type values of 3, 6, and 8. It appears that type 3 represents series, type 6 denotes seasons, and type 8 pertains to individual episodes. By developing a simple Java program to eliminate these duplicates, I successfully resolved the issue of repeated episodes appearing in Emby.

Although I have addressed the problem on my end, I would like to bring this matter to your attention for further investigation into the root cause of these duplications. Your efforts in this regard would be greatly appreciated.

P.S.: I am willing to provide the data from the MediaItems table should you require it for your analysis.

1711078475196.jpg

HI, yes that would be great, thanks !

MagicRin
39 minutes ago, Luke said:

HI, yes that would be great, thanks !

Hi,

I've sent the data you requested via private message. Please check your inbox at your earliest convenience. Should you require any additional information, feel free to reach out at any time.

• Thanks 1

26 minutes ago, MagicRin said:

Hi,

I've sent the data you requested via private message. Please check your inbox at your earliest convenience. Should you require any additional information, feel free to reach out at any time.

Great, thank you !