TrueNAS CORE 13 is the last TrueNAS based on FreeBSD

Luke

adrianwi

More details on the iXSystems forum - https://www.truenas.com/community/threads/what-is-the-future-of-truenas-core.116049/page-11#post-815057 - but it still makes me really sad when I think about this.  Hopefully TrueNAS 13.3 when it's launched later this year will be supported for a few years and who knows what can happen in a few years....

😢

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
bolok

Yea, very sad.  No interest in scale/linux for my server here.  So "worst" case scenario i just throw full blown freebsd on my nas.  Might poke at xigma.  But on the other hand It's looking fairly likely that it's going to be forked,  not sure whether they'll wait till core goes eol or whatever- but I'm keeping my eye out.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, bolok said:

Yea, very sad.  No interest in scale/linux for my server here.  So "worst" case scenario i just throw full blown freebsd on my nas.  Might poke at xigma.  But on the other hand It's looking fairly likely that it's going to be forked,  not sure whether they'll wait till core goes eol or whatever- but I'm keeping my eye out.

What do you have against Linux?

bolok

The zealotry, the license fanaticism, the gnu org and their userland tools?  Fair number of things i'm not a fan of.  I don't completely hate slackware or alpine ,for example but shrug.  My *nix exposure went from SvR4 to free/net/openbsd with a smattering of solaris,  linux just has never been compelling for me.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

Baenwort

I'll echo bolok. I'll be monitoring the fork. I contributed to it when it was FreeNAS before iX took over and I'll be happy to switch to the new fork, what ever it is called.