trying to setup ntfs drive on linux mint 21.3

ecwphantom

ecwphantom

hey there im trying to setup my mounted ntfs internal 2tb hdd for my emby server but when i go to media and try to click my user it doesnt go through ive been searching pages for hours on trying to figure this out but ive hit a road block im a linux noob just came from windows 11 im on emby server 4.9.0.11 and my linux mint version is 5.15.0-101-generic #111-Ubuntu SMP Tue Mar 5 20:16:58 UTC 2024 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux any help would be much appreciated

ecwphantom

i have but i got confused looking at it lemme look it over again

ecwphantom

im stumped still i can access my other drive full of movies which is linux based but i cant seem to access the folders that i had created through windows before i swapped to linux mint  through /media/myuser it just wont go through any help would be appreciated

Lessaj

How are you mounting the drive? via fstab? What do the permissions look like on the top level of the drive? IE if it's mounted to /mnt/external show the permissions at the /mnt level.

ecwphantom

that first part idk how to look it up sorry for reply i just woke up and its mounted to /media

ecwphantom

so i entered those commands and this is what i get back

Screenshot_1.png

Lessaj

Okay so the drive is mounted as the root user but the phantomzwar folder underneath /media is set to 750 permissions, which means root has full access, and the root group has read and execute (which basically means can navigate through it) but "others" (your user, as well as emby) would not have access to the folder. However, with the + there that means that there's an ACL defined, separate from the permissions shown. Depending on how you mounted the drive, which may have been done automatically by the system or done through a GUI, this likely gives your user permission on it, you can try to check with this command and see what it says.

getfacl /media/phantomzwar

Having said that, depending on what you want emby to be able to do with this mount point, you might be able to fix this with just:

sudo chmod 755 /media/phantomzwar

This should allow emby to at least read into this, the folders underneath this point might have a similar problem, but if you want emby to be able to write to this for NFOs or BIFs you might have to do more to change the permissions, or change how you mount it with uid and gid options set to the emby user.

I understand from your first post that this is new to you, but file/folder permissions/ownership is a very critical thing to understand and I'd highly recommend doing some further reading on the subject.

Edited by Lessaj
  • Thanks 1

ecwphantom

i got it figured out it wasnt mounting on boot thats why it was not showing up for some reason i got it to mount got my movies and shows to show up in emby tysm for your help

• Like 1