DTS-HD and TrueHD on New Firestick 4k and Cube

blehhh

blehhh

I was pretty close to pulling the trigger on an Emby life time membership but I am having issues with some required audio formats.

Has anyone been able to get TrueHD or DTS-HD to play on the native Emby Fire Tv/cube app. These work fine on Plex, so I dont think amazon is lying about supported formats.

Any info is appreciated.

Thanks

signde
13 hours ago, ebr said:

this seems to be a repetitive topic at this point.

is the emby team planning to put any effort into making DTS-HD passthrough work on these devices?

rbjtech

So as the Amazon Sprint sale starting yesterday, and the Fire TV 4K Max is already on Sale, (36% off) I bit the bullet as I need to replace my last Gen 2 Fire TV - so I should be able to test myself tomorrow.  I'm not doubting anyones testing - but I'd like to put it though it's paces .. ;)

signde

here is my current state:

• kodi v20 or v21 - will passthrough anything you can throw at it
  • plex - will passthrough truehd, dts-hd is passed through as DTS core
  • emby for android, android tv, or fireOS most recent versions - will pass through truehd, dth-hd produces no audio. unchecking dts-hd passthrough in app settings will net multichannel pcm.

someone on avsforum recently said they have dts-hd passthrough working. that person said they are using emby for android tv version 2.0.93g, which is several months old at this point. i can't test that because i can't unlock the google app on an amazon device.

• Thanks 1

blehhh
1 minute ago, signde said:

here is my current state:

• kodi v20 or v21 - will passthrough anything you can throw at it
  • plex - will passthrough truehd, dts-hd is passed through as DTS core
  • emby for android, android tv, or fireOS most recent versions - will pass through truehd, dth-hd produces no audio. unchecking dts-hd passthrough in app settings will net multichannel pcm.

someone on avsforum recently said they have dts-hd passthrough working. that person said they are using emby for android tv version 2.0.93g, which is several months old at this point. i can't test that because i can't unlock the google app on an amazon device.

What you are seeing tracks with my experience.

Just now, signde said:

will net multichannel pcm.

FYI, that would be the fully-decoded DTS-HD.  Should be the same as your receiver would do.

signde
53 minutes ago, ebr said:

FYI, that would be the fully-decoded DTS-HD.  Should be the same as your receiver would do.

i'm aware what multichannel PCM means. for an 11.1 channel DTS-X track the AVR shows 7.1 channels of input which aligns with decoded DTS Core.

either way it is not passthrough, which the device is capable of doing per the specs.

rbjtech
2 minutes ago, signde said:

i'm aware what multichannel PCM means. for an 11.1 channel DTS-X track the AVR shows 7.1 channels of input which aligns with decoded DTS Core.

either way it is not passthrough, which the device is capable of doing per the specs.

Hmm...

• DTS-HD passthrough (basic profile)

Until we know what 'Basic Profile' actually means - then I don't think we can say 'per the specs' at all...

signde
58 minutes ago, rbjtech said:

Hmm...

Until we know what 'Basic Profile' actually means - then I don't think we can say 'per the specs' at all...

It literally says it does DTS-HD passthrough. So if you want to argue no body knows what basic profile means, that's still moot, because it should at least pass through something rather than nothing.

Not sure what else you could even interpret "Basic Profile" as other than plan old DTS vs the other profiles DTSHD, DTSRA, DTSMA, DTSES, DTS96, etc

Here is the Plex thread on this very subject there the Plex Android app developer clearly states what that means:

Here is a link to a new build where we have reenabled DTS passthrough on both new Fire TV Sticks. Please give it a try both DTS and DTS-HD formats. DTS-HD will play as DTS as the devices only support the passthrough of the basic profile.

https://forums.plex.tv/t/new-firestick-4k-max-gen-2-dts-no-audio/855684/55

Also buried in that thread or one of the others is one of the app engineers getting word straight from the fireOS devs that passthrough is supported.

rbjtech
13 hours ago, signde said:

It literally says it does DTS-HD passthrough. So if you want to argue no body knows what basic profile means, that's still moot, because it should at least pass through something rather than nothing.

I don't honestly follow your logic.     

DTS-HD (do not confuse with DTS-HD MA) is a lossy codec - it's full name is DTS-HD High Resolution Audio (HRA).    It is used instead of DTS-HD MA as part of the BluRay specification if space is limited - but it is effectively a compressed/lossy version of DTS-HD MA in specification - ie 7.1 Channels @ 96Khz/24 bit.

Saying 'Basic Profile' means very little - it has no 'profiles' - this is the spec.

Therefore, if the FireTV Stick 4K Max passes DTS-HD HRA - then it is per the specification - agree 100%.

I do not expect it to pass DTS-HD MA or DTS-HD:X - as that is not in the specifications.   If it does have the capability to do so, then great (it has more than enough cpu to do so), but out the box - it never said it did - so people complaining why it doesn't passthrough DTS-HD MA or X, need to simply read the specifications...

I'll confirm later when it shows up .. 

Edited by rbjtech

signde
2 hours ago, rbjtech said:

I don't honestly follow your logic.     

DTS-HD (do not confuse with DTS-HD MA) is a lossy codec - it's full name is DTS-HD High Resolution Audio (HRA).    It is used instead of DTS-HD MA as part of the BluRay specification if space is limited - but it is effectively a compressed/lossy version of DTS-HD MA in specification - ie 7.1 Channels @ 96Khz/24 bit.

Saying 'Basic Profile' means very little - it has no 'profiles' - this is the spec.

Therefore, if the FireTV Stick 4K Max passes DTS-HD HRA - then it is per the specification - agree 100%.

I do not expect it to pass DTS-HD MA or DTS-HD:X - as that is not in the specifications.   If it does have the capability to do so, then great (it has more than enough cpu to do so), but out the box - it never said it did - so people complaining why it doesn't passthrough DTS-HD MA or X, need to simply read the specifications...

I'll confirm later when it shows up .. 

I never once suggested it should passthrough DTS-HD.

Everything I have read refers to DTS-HD HRA and DTS-HD MA as both being in the family of DTS-HD and both are built as extensions of regular DTS.

What I have said and pointed to verbatim quotes from app developers is that it should passthrough DTS when any DTS-HD format is played. Standard DTS core, stripped of the DTS-HD extensions, AKA the most "basic" of DTS formats.

16 hours ago, signde said:

i'm aware what multichannel PCM means.

Then you understand that what is reaching your speakers is the same thing.  It is just being decoded in a different place.

rbjtech
19 minutes ago, signde said:

Everything I have read refers to DTS-HD HRA and DTS-HD MA as both being in the family of DTS-HD and both are built as extensions of regular DTS.

Then one of us is wrong lol - DTS-HD HRA is a lossy codec and is an extension of DTS - they are from the same family.

DTS-HD MA / DTS-HD:X are lossless - they are not from the same family as above - but they DO have a DTS Core.

I have the device in my hand - so will be testing shortly.

I expect DTS & DTS-HD HRA to passthrough -  I do not expect DTS-HD MA nor DTS-HD:X to passthrough... 

rbjtech

So on a VERY quick test (don't have time until later today) -

• DTS - Passthrough OK as DTS
  • DTS-HD:MA - Passthrough OK as DTS
  • DTS-HD:HRA 96 - Passthrough as DTS (possibly ok - more testing needed, I only had 1 file so don't want to confirm or deny this yet)

To test later on today ..

• DTS-HD HRA
  • DTS-HD:X
  • DTS:ES
  • DTS 96/24

signde

My interpretation of the Amazon spec is that "DTS-HD passthrough (basic profile)" comprises DTS-HD HRA, DTS-HD MA, and DTS-HD:X which should all passthrough as DTS core. So far your results are tracking with that. Mine are not.

I cannot get any of those DTS-HD formats to produce audio when DTS-HD passthrough is enabled in the Emby app settings. I have tried all of these from from Kodi Samples / demolandia.

Yet the same files on the same device connected to the same AVR-x4700h in Plex produce DTS (core) audio. Plex is set to passthrough across the board.

I have tried with both FireOS audio settings "Best Available" and "Dolby Digital Plus".

Server Version 4.8.3.0
App Version 2.0.98a
Fire OS Version 8.1.0.2 (RS8102/1969)
FireTV Home Version 6470244.1

I'm at a loss at what else could be wrong on my end here.

rbjtech

I'm using App version 2.1.09a (latest Beta) but there is nothing in the release notes to suggest this act any differently to 2.0.98a re DTS

Link to AndroidTV/FireTV Beta

My AVR is also a Denon - so maybe something undocumented has changed in the above Beta ... 🤔

Edited by rbjtech

rbjtech
5 hours ago, rbjtech said:

So on a VERY quick test (don't have time until later today) -

• DTS - Passthrough OK as DTS
  • DTS-HD:MA - Passthrough OK as DTS
  • DTS-HD:HRA 96 - Passthrough as DTS (possibly ok - more testing needed, I only had 1 file so don't want to confirm or deny this yet)

To test later on today ..

• DTS-HD HRA
  • DTS-HD:X
  • DTS:ES
  • DTS 96/24

So everything 'DTS' appears to passthrough as DTS (5.1 Core ) - no issues at all.

True-HD Passthrough - No issues, Atmos is being flagged just fine on my AVR.

The only issue I seem to be having is with EAC3 (Dolby Digital+) with Atmos (JOC) - It does not flag as Atmos on my AVR.    No issues with the Shield for the same files.  Tried many files incl official Dolby Atmos test files.. :(   

I also tried the latest Emby Standard App - same issues with EAC3 JOC Atmos - no issues with DTS passthrough, it behaved the same as Android/Fire TV in that regard.

So no full support for lossless DTS-HD MA nor DTS:X but for me anyway, it appears to pass through DTS Core just fine - and is inline with the Amazon specification.

I guess your interpretation of the below was more accurate than mine ;)

• DTS-HD passthrough (basic profile)

This does indeed mean DTS Core - why they didn't just say (DTS Core Only) is anyones guess .... 

Edited by rbjtech
  • Thanks 1

signde
34 minutes ago, rbjtech said:

The only issue I seem to be having is with EAC3 (Dolby Digital+) with Atmos (JOC) - It does not flag as Atmos on my AVR.    No issues with the Shield for the same files.  Tried many files incl official Dolby Atmos test files..

Thanks for testing all of this. I still need to figure out why it is not working for me. I will try that same beta version later today.

As for the EAC3 DD+ JOC output not flagging as Atmos, I have the same issue with my Denon AVR. When playing EAC3 JOC, If you change the Denon sound mode and choose Dolby Atmos/DSur, it will flip to true Atmos and show Atmos as the input. No funny business upscaled fake surround sound which DSur normally implies.

My understanding is the Denon AVR remembers the audio mode for the HDMI input and the sound mode you selected based upon the incoming signal, so it's possible you had previously done this for the Shield's HDMI input as well and it is just remembering it.

My 2019 Shield Pro behaves the same way as you have described with the AFTV, screenshot below was taken while playing on that device. I have two different options for modes when playing back EAC3 JOC:

image.thumb.png.898f3e5e3867884b3e0a3764a886c0a6.png

The first option gives me straight DD+ no Atmos.

The second gives me 11 channels of Atmos input and Atmos displayed on the OSD/faceplate.

Because it behaves this same way on both Shield TV and AFTV, I believe this to be a Denon AVR issue. It's mildly infuriating because there no way to get pure DD+ or pure Atmos without toggling between the two. Leaving it in the first mode will play JOC with no Atmos. Leaving it in the second setting will play non JOC as upscaled DSur. It drives me nutty.

• Thanks 1