HDR media identified as SDR - latest Emby for Android TV

bjjones
Go to solution Solved by rbjtech,

bjjones

I've got a few 4K movies on my Synology server and just noticed they're identified/labeled as SDR for the video stream. TV supports 4K (but not DV) as does Exoplayer

When the movie is the loaded and being played/paaused, at the very bottom of the info below the actors, chapters, etc. where the file info is displayed the video stream is identified as SDR ?

Stats for nerds shows it as direct play and it plays fine, but just to verify I played the same file via Firefox browser and sure enough it goes into trasnscoding/HDR Tone Mapping so the file must be HDR just as Mediainfo also identifies it.

Just thought I'd pass it along in case it's a setting I've missed but it seems cosmetic, info screen attached

IMG_8197.JPG

ffmpeg-transcode-b303f42c-72b4-4ae6-b895-5944d6953f8b_1.txt embyserver.txt

Edited by bjjones

• Solution
rbjtech

Have you tried 'Refresh Metadata' on the item so ffprobe can re-scan it ?

bjjones
Posted (edited)

unchanged, but it did cause me to look a little deeper,

I'm pretty sure this is a bug in the Android TV app not the server side, checked it in a browser window and it's fine and also Emby Theater also picks it up correctly

theater.jpg

Edited by bjjones
  • Like 1

The app gets this information from the server and the two screenshots you showed are from different items...

bjjones
Posted (edited)
5 hours ago, ebr said:

The app gets this information from the server and the two screenshots you showed are from different items...

you're right, I just picked a different example. here's the exact same media file same issue. Emby Theater

heirs.jpg

Edited by bjjones

That does not indicate it is HDR...

bjjones
Posted (edited)

I'm a self admitted amateur at this so is there a simple way to know if its HDR rather than SDR?

I'm still not sure why the Android TV app displays different media info, SDR, than the other players identify it as BT2020 etc.

Lastly, if it's not HDR then why is Emby tone mapping it in the transcode or is that a requirement to take it from HEVC to AVC ?

Thanks for your interest in this, hopefully the questions aren't too dumb - one more set of examples of why I'm confused why the TV app shows SDR

tv app.JPG

browser batman begins.jpg

batman begins firefox.jpg

mediainfo_BB.txt

Edited by bjjones

For that item, the web app is not showing a video range at all.  Have you done a refresh metadata on it with server version 4.8?

• Like 1

rbjtech
2 hours ago, bjjones said:

I'm a self admitted amateur at this so is there a simple way to know if its HDR rather than SDR?

I'm still not sure why the Android TV app displays different media info, SDR, than the other players identify it as BT2020 etc.

Lastly, if it's not HDR then why is Emby tone mapping it in the transcode or is that a requirement to take it from HEVC to AVC ?

Thanks for your interest in this, hopefully the questions aren't too dumb - one more set of examples of why I'm confused why the TV app shows SDR

tv app.JPG

browser batman begins.jpg

batman begins firefox.jpg

mediainfo_BB.txt 4.82 kB · 2 downloads

if it's a Dolby Vison File (according to mediaInfo) - then it should be listing as Dolby Vision ... 

What Client versions are you using ?

2.1.03 (13 Feb)

• Add QR code to Connect screen
  • Don't prefer doubled refresh rate
  • Add Dolby profile to info card

image.png.14f873885dbca9e9f660b388d73b5f72.png 

• Like 1

bjjones
Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, ebr said:

For that item, the web app is not showing a video range at all.  Have you done a refresh metadata on it with server version 4.8?

Genius ! Refreshed both items and I think this is more how they should look - Thanks for all the education

browser Dune - refreshed.jpg

browser batman begins - refreshed.jpg

Edited by bjjones

bjjones
Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, rbjtech said:

if it's a Dolby Vison File (according to mediaInfo) - then it should be listing as Dolby Vision ... 

What Client versions are you using ?

2.1.03 (13 Feb)

• Add QR code to Connect screen
  • Don't prefer doubled refresh rate
  • Add Dolby profile to info card

image.png.14f873885dbca9e9f660b388d73b5f72.png

It's client 2.1.10g, I updated it a few days ago. I think the release note said something along the line of update to support server 4.8 features

I was almost positive it was 2.1.10 before, I just checked and the googleplay store doesn't show an update available.

Nevertheless the TV app is now happy as well. Thanks for your help as well !

Dune.JPG

BB.JPG

Edited by bjjones

bjjones
Posted (edited)

@ebr@rbjtechGuys - thanks for taking the time to walk a novice through what was clearly as user error  !

Should I do the metadata refresh one item at a time, I've probably got less than 20 like this or would it be better to back all the way up to the server side and from the server settings choose the entire libraries - movies, TV,  etc and just do a complete metadata refresh for the whole thing now that I moved to 4.8.x. Are there other things that will be picked up on the normal HEVC 1080p stuff as well?

And. since I have you in this thread, on an unrelated issue. Way back in post 1 with my server log attached, there's a error logged for TVDB loading up. I looked at the plugin to see if I missed a config item but there's nothing to configure so I'm not sure what or if there's something I need to do to correct it? It's there every time the server restarts

Edited by bjjones

rbjtech

Unless you have custom metadata/images that are not locked, then a library level metadata Refresh will be your best approach for consistency.    You can of course single or multi-select and do it that way if you wish.

Hi, has this answered your question?

bjjones

Yes, the guys were fantastic and walked me through why I was seeing what I was and then getting everything updated. I did a metadata refresh on all my libraries

My only remaining question is about the tvdb error that showed up in the log I sent and whether it's anything I need to address

Thanks

• Thanks 1

rbjtech
9 hours ago, bjjones said:

My only remaining question is about the tvdb error that showed up in the log I sent and whether it's anything I need to address

If it happended on all ProviderManager requests then maybe - but as it's only 2 requests, I would ignore it.   The rest of log is very clean. :)