Why are Subtitle Filtering and Hardware Subtitle Overlay disabled?

MrPancake

MrPancake

Hi all,

I've been facing a persistent issue related to subtitles playback on my LG TV, related to two options in Diagnostic Options:

• Disable Hardware Subtitle Overlay
  • Disable Subtitle Filtering

As soon as I untick the options and reboot the server, the playback works normally.

For reasons not clear to me, both options are enabled by default. This becomes particularly troublesome as I find myself needing to disable them (therefore, enabling the functions) after every server update to ensure subtitles display correctly on my LG TV. This has been an ongoing issue for quite some time.

Could anyone shed light on why these settings are on by default? More importantly, is there a way to keep them enabled permanently, so they persist through updates? It's quite a hassle to adjust these settings manually each time.

Thanks for your help!

pwhodges

For some reason the extensive re-engineering of the subtitle system a couple of years ago has been left since then in a not-quite-complete state.  These options remain in the diagnostics setup (and hence not persistent) because they can still cause issues.

Paul

MrPancake
4 minutes ago, pwhodges said:

For some reason the extensive re-engineering of the subtitle system a couple of years ago has been left since then in a not-quite-complete state.  These options remain in the diagnostics setup (and hence not persistent) because they can still cause issues.

Paul

Thanks, I figured that might be the case. However, at my home, the opposite is true - not having it on gives issues.

Could we maybe push for the preferences in the diagnostic options to persist on updates? I understand if the dev team wouldn't want to change those options defaults for everybody, but would appreciate having a choice.

5 hours ago, MrPancake said:

Could someone from the emby devs let me know? @Luke

Thank you

Hi, they are experimental development that is not yet completed, so enable at your own risk.

MrPancake
2 hours ago, Luke said:

Hi, they are experimental development that is not yet completed, so enable at your own risk.

Thank you. 

Would you considering letting the diagnostic options persist across server updates? 

crusher11
On 3/18/2024 at 7:56 PM, pwhodges said:

Paul

I assume they'll get back to it after they've finished the IntroSkip implementation.

• Haha 1