Nvidia Shield in 2024?

soderlund91
Go to solution Solved by RanmaCanada,

soderlund91

Hi

I'm thinking about getting a Nvidia shield (not pro). But is it worth it today, I mean the product is 5 years old and right now I'm using the 4k chromecast with Google tv. 

The ccwgtv does a good job, sometimes it's not as snappy as I would like but not a big issue. Mostly I'm interested in the 4k upscale from the shield. 

So what do you guys think? I read some recent post on Reddit that is full of bloatware from recent updates and that it has started to be laggy from this..

Is it worth almost $190 (in Sweden), and/or is it worth going for the pro for about $40 extra? 

• Solution
RanmaCanada

No it is not worth it.  It doesn't do AV1, and is more than likely going to be replaced when Nintendo releases Switch 2.  The reason I state this replacement, is that the Switch is basically a Shield.  If you want a replacement device, and Amazon Firecube V3 would be a decent upgrade, or even a homebrew Windows/Android/Linux setup on a micro PC like an off lease Lenovo Tiny, Hp Gx mini or Dell Micro.  These machines can be typically had for about $100 USD, yes I know you're in Sweden, but I can't check prices there, sadly.  Look for one of these machines, and then all you would need is an air mouse.  Most modern machines can software decode AV1.  On the plus side, you'd also be able to use said machine as an emulation system.

Dibbes

I agree. Not worth it. It's running android 7 and not upgradable without some hackery. In other words, don't connect it to the Internet, as its a gateway to the rest of your network. 

If you want to do the hackery though, it pretty much loses all features that made the world worth it. You might as well get a Pi4 with ATV on it...

neik

It really depends, if you want full blown audio support (DTS:X for instance) then I'm not sure you have much more choice than the Shield.

I have the pro and it just plays everything I through at it.

• Like 1
  • Agree 3

Full audio support is the reason to get the Shield.  If you don't need that, then there are other options just as good and cheaper.

Q-Droid
15 hours ago, Dibbes said:

I agree. Not worth it. It's running android 7 and not upgradable without some hackery. In other words, don't connect it to the Internet, as its a gateway to the rest of your network. 

If you want to do the hackery though, it pretty much loses all features that made the world worth it. You might as well get a Pi4 with ATV on it...

Android TV 11.

• Like 1

soderlund91

Thanks all! 

I'm good with 5.1 sound and i guess the CCWGTV does the job well enough. I have an old inte NUC laying around so might make a project with that one. I need this to be wife-proof aswell so i dont think a remote mouse and keebord will do it.. 

Lets hope for a 2024 shield! 

And again, thanks!   

• 2 weeks later...
Dibbes
On 3/17/2024 at 1:20 PM, Q-Droid said:

Android TV 11.

Yes, sorry... You're right! Point still stands though

Edited by Dibbes

neik
4 hours ago, Dibbes said:

Yes, sorry... You're right! Point still stands though

What's the benefit of newer versions? Honest question.

For me, and that's just for me, the Shield plays everything I through at it and that's the task it has fulfill. Whether it's running ATV 10, 11 or whatever version I don't really care as long as it does the job. Again, that only applies to me, others might certainly have different opinions.

Spaceboy

more recent ones are significantly more snappy in menus and app loading

• Thanks 1

Q-Droid
3 hours ago, neik said:

For me, and that's just for me, the Shield plays everything I through at it and that's the task it has fulfill. Whether it's running ATV 10, 11 or whatever version I don't really care as long as it does the job. Again, that only applies to me, others might certainly have different opinions.

Eventually in android world vendors stop updating the OS and developers stop supporting old versions. This cycle is much shorter than the same for Windows, linux and Mac where backward compatibility is high on the list. 

• Thanks 1

Dibbes
On 3/29/2024 at 5:52 PM, neik said:

Next to the snappyness that Spaceboy mentions and backwards compatibility issues that Q-Droid writes about, there are other concerns as well. End of life for Android 11 was in February of this year. This means that no further security patching will be available. Unless you go the length, these devices do still have access to the internet, which means that it becomes a gateway to your internal network and everything that's on it. Since most people nowadays have about everything there is to know going through their WiFi, unpatched (read: insecure) devices become a problem.

all4dom

Just curious if  those tiny pc's being sold can play all the HD audio formats like the shield? 

all4dom

@ebrcan a mini pc replace an nvida shield & play all hd audio options as a passthrough & also 4k? 

2 hours ago, all4dom said:

@ebrcan a mini pc replace an nvida shield & play all hd audio options as a passthrough & also 4k? 

It should be able to.

RanmaCanada
2 hours ago, all4dom said:

Yes, but it all depends on your OS of choice. LibreELEC would probably be the best option as HDR on windows is still hit and miss.

all4dom

I was talking about a basic mini pc with windows. I have a samsung tv & sound bar & was thinking instead of a shield, which is old now, maybe a mininpc but I don't want to loose picture quality such as hdr. I thought emby is responsible for that though. 

CBers
3 minutes ago, all4dom said:

I was talking about a basic mini pc with windows. I have a samsung tv & sound bar & was thinking instead of a shield, which is old now, maybe a mininpc but I don't want to loose picture quality such as hdr. I thought emby is responsible for that though. 

Buy a Shield Pro.

Even though it is from 2019, they're still fully supported, as are the original 2015 an 2017 Shields.

• Agree 2

33 minutes ago, all4dom said:

Yes but you will then be dealing with all the issues of an HTPC vs a streaming box that is designed for use on a TV and "just works".

• Agree 1

BillOatman
On 3/16/2024 at 7:52 PM, ebr said:

Full audio support is the reason to get the Shield.  If you don't need that, then there are other options just as good and cheaper.

I can't agree with this based on my current information.  I have tried several alternatives and they were all painfully slow compared to the shield.  But I'm always willing to learn, particularly when it saves me money :)   What hardware is as good and fast as the shield (excluding advanced audio support)?

RanmaCanada
3 hours ago, BillOatman said:

I can't agree with this based on my current information.  I have tried several alternatives and they were all painfully slow compared to the shield.  But I'm always willing to learn, particularly when it saves me money :)   What hardware is as good and fast as the shield (excluding advanced audio support)?

If you're in the USA you can buy an i3-8100T off lease micro PC off eBay for under $100 which will run circles around a Shield. Will easily run Linux or Windows or even Android if you want. The Shield is just a poor choice these days. If you want to do some retro gaming as well, you can get a Ryzen 5 2400GE for about $100-$125 which will also run circles around a Shield, and you can just use Batocera while installing the Kodi plugin for Emby on it.

Both these systems can software decode AV1. The Shield is pretty much dead.

• Disagree 2
  • Thanks 1

15 hours ago, BillOatman said:

What hardware is as good and fast as the shield (excluding advanced audio support)?

I guess it depends on  your perception or requirements but I find the newer Fire devices as well as ChromeCast to operate just fine with Emby (sans HD audio).

Dibbes
19 hours ago, BillOatman said:

RPi4 with Lineage ATV13 works quite well though you have to figure out the remote.

Otherwise a Nokia box 8000 if you want something cheaper and more ready out of the box... Forget about HD audio though

Edited by Dibbes
  • Thanks 1

BillOatman
10 hours ago, ebr said:

I guess it depends on  your perception or requirements but I find the newer Fire devices as well as ChromeCast to operate just fine with Emby (sans HD audio).

Thanks.  I have both of those and find the performance (speed) much slower than my shields.  I agree perception definitely comes into play. My kids are using those devices now and since they don't use them a lot, so slower speed do not bother them at all.

Edited by BillOatman