True HD/Atmos cuts out

MavericK96

MavericK96

I'm not completely sure if this is related to the latest betas or not, but it seems as if Atmos audio on multiple movies is cutting out and eventually just going dead randomly. Video playback is unaffected.  Sometimes I can skip around and get it back, but if I switch to 5.1 audio instead it seems to work fine. Running Direct, on the Windows Emby Theater app 3.0.20.

Is it possible to roll back to 4.9.0.7 to see if it resolves it?

MavericK96
Posted (edited)

Sure, here is the log file.  Was playing Inside Out right near the end of the log and the audio died.

Here are the stats while playing.  The audio dies and then stays gone unless you try to skip around or restart playback.

If it helps, I am running Emby Server on a Synology DS920+ - have never experienced this issue before.

image.thumb.png.0dae44c6e3e050a6b6c613efda7ac276.png

embyserver.txt

Edited by MavericK96
Added info

Lee

Recently had to turn off pass thru for trueHD/Atmos it's become really buggy on all videos. Either glitch sound or goes off completely. All other pass thru works fine. Assume it's the player build. Any advice on a workaround (other than turning it off which I have) or eta on the new app which will hopefully be an upgrade! 

HI, yes it's coming very soon actually.

• Like 1

MavericK96
Posted (edited)

Unfortunately this is still a problem in 4.9.0.10.  Same issue on this copy of Avatar: Way of Water.  Server log attached.  My AVR shows no audio output during these times.

image.thumb.png.9d8d59f3ed49c5be917e03b7d523e5ca.png

embyserver-03172024

Edited by MavericK96

MavericK96

Okay, I tried this on a different machine/Emby server running 4.8.3.0, same problem.  It doesn't happen in the Windows Movie app, though, so maybe the issue lies with the Windows Theater app (3.0.20).

MavericK96

Same issue. I thought it was my server but I think it's definitely the Theater app.  Does it on multiple server versions/server hardware.

Mahinepua

Same issue here on seeking sometimes but ff/rw usually brings it back to life.

legierk

Went and bought a new HDMI cable today to try to troubleshoot this. I have many MKV files with TrueHD 7.1 audio and the XBox app just goes black. Luckily, they also contain  DD 5.1 which plays just fine. While I have some "XBox" guys here, what should I set my XBox audio settings to? I have passthrough enabled. I also had Dolby Atmos enabled. Not sure what is the best way to set it with Emby Theater. I assume as long as passthrough is enabled, everything should work. 

MavericK96

So I spun up a test Jellyfin server as well and it seems to have the same problem.  I've also tested on multiple Emby servers on different hardware, same problem.  So this is something fairly widespread, but it definitely wasn't happening a couple months ago or so.

The videos tend to have the audio dropping at the same spot each time, but it's not the file itself - if you skip around enough, you can restore audio in the section that previously didn't work.  Sometimes after I get the issue my AV receiver will say something like "PCM ZERO" as the audio input.

I'm not sure if this is helpful for troubleshooting, but hopefully a fix can be found.  I tried disabling the audio device "sleep" settings in the Windows registry, and also tried Exclusive audio mode in Emby - no change.  I've also used different HDMI cables, and the current ones I use are 8K certified and work fine for everything else, including the same Atmos content previously, so it's not a cable issue.  I get the same problem playing on my gaming PC which doesn't even use HDMI passthrough.

MavericK96

I don't think this is a beta server issue - I will move my discussion to the Windows app forum.

Lee

seems to be affecting plex too looking at reddit, is MPV used for that?

MavericK96

The same file, same location, same computer, works just fine in VLC.

Mahinepua

The Jellyfin player does the same thing. It must be an MPV bug, has always been issue from memory and isn’t a problem with other players 

MavericK96

I tried the MPV DLL replacement as mentioned in the thread above, too early to say for sure but it seems to fix the TrueHD issue.  Current Theater DLL is 0.35.0, the newer one is 0.37.x.

Mahinepua

The new app will be here soon and should have a newer MPV build that might fix the issue. 

• Agree 1

MavericK96

Yeah, I agree that it seems to be a MPV issue. Hopefully the new Theater will have the updated MPV. In the meantime, you can replace the .dll in the current build to get it working. So far I haven't noticed any more cutouts or any additional issues with the newer .dll file. 

generiq
1 hour ago, MavericK96 said:

Yeah, I agree that it seems to be a MPV issue. Hopefully the new Theater will have the updated MPV. In the meantime, you can replace the .dll in the current build to get it working. So far I haven't noticed any more cutouts or any additional issues with the newer .dll file. 

An ffmpeg issue not mpv. mpv largely uses ffmpeg, that's why softworkz is your guy.

• Thanks 2