Hearing impaired and my daughter is too

N5KWD

N5KWD

After we spent o8r last welfare check setting up emby and then no subtitles unless i have this emby premiere? i cant afford that and i dont understand why emby discrimates against us hearing impaired. plesase wh cannot get subtitles/

• Like 1

N5KWD

i'm pretty sure that all we need to do is file a complaint about the americans with disabilities act with the government in warshington, they would sue emby btut before i do that i want to find out if i am right about the subtitles. God bless you.

Lambtalk

Emby is a personal media server for your own media. If you don't have subtitles, then that simply means you unchecked that option when you were ripping the movies from your own DVDs and BluRays

• Agree 1

N5KWD

Yeah, right, but if  you are an emby 'premiere'  user, the option to download subtitles exists and is easily accomplished. But if you are not, and need to download subtitles the option is not available at all. The hearing privileged people are fine and the hearing impaired are discriminated against. Emby hates the hearing impaired or is illegally trying  to profit off of them. I have never been so outraged in many years as this outright discrimination against the handicapped as emby is doing here, This needs to be reported, i think, and they need to explain their bias against the handicapped or they need to be shut down.

Lambtalk
13 minutes ago, N5KWD said:

Yeah, right, but if  you are an emby 'premiere'  user, the option to download subtitles exists and is easily accomplished. But if you are not, and need to download subtitles the option is not available at all. The hearing privileged people are fine and the hearing impaired are discriminated against. Emby hates the hearing impaired or is illegally trying  to profit off of them. I have never been so outraged in many years as this outright discrimination against the handicapped as emby is doing here, This needs to be reported, i think, and they need to explain their bias against the handicapped or they need to be shut down.

You can go to OpenSubtitles and download the subtitles yourself. That's all the plugin is doing.

Hearing Impaired people are not being discriminated against because the feature does not exist purely for the hearing impaired. It's a paid feature for everyone, not just the hearing impaired.

Just rip your media with the subtitles that are already on the disc and then your whole point becomes moot anyway. If you supply your files with subtitles, then subtitles are available for use within Emby.

HI, using Open Subtitles within Emby does not require Emby Premiere. What makes you think that?

N5KWD

So my kid starts to watch a show and clicks subtitles. It says None and Search. When you click Search it brings up some text to get Emby Premiere. This on Firetv. In a browser same thing, you click Search Subtitles and a dialog says Get Emby Premiere to unlock this feature. Open Subtitles is set up with a username and password.

This absolutely is illegal discrimination against hearing impaired because the hearing privileged do not need subtitles but to the hearing impaired they are absolutely needed. It's about accessibility. A complete and appalling violation the American Disabilities Act and subsequent legislation. Not happy.

RanmaCanada
1 hour ago, N5KWD said:

So my kid starts to watch a show and clicks subtitles. It says None and Search. When you click Search it brings up some text to get Emby Premiere. This on Firetv. In a browser same thing, you click Search Subtitles and a dialog says Get Emby Premiere to unlock this feature. Open Subtitles is set up with a username and password.

This absolutely is illegal discrimination against hearing impaired because the hearing privileged do not need subtitles but to the hearing impaired they are absolutely needed. It's about accessibility. A complete and appalling violation the American Disabilities Act and subsequent legislation. Not happy.

If you didn't provide your own subtitles, on your media, that is a YOU problem.  Saying you are claiming discrimination because your pirated materials didn't come with the subtitles you need/want and saying that the process Emby adds to grab them requires a paywall is discrimination should award you a gold medal in the mental gymnastics.  If you want to create them, there are tools like WHISPER that will do it for you, for free.  ADA does not apply to pirated materials, let alone digital media.

Again, this is a YOU problem as the pirated material you sourced doesn't have the subtitles you require.  This has nothing to do with Emby.  Nothing.

• Agree 1

N5KWD

It has everything to do with Emby. Regardless of what I am trying to do in the app, which you allege is pirated mater and is not true, I as a deaf individual am not given EQUAL ACCESS to accomplish the same end goal. There are stacks of case law about this, this is open and shut. I am done arguing with you and will now be using a Chat GPT to word the complaint which will be filed with the appropriate federal agency forthwith.

• Facepalm 1

Lambtalk
3 minutes ago, N5KWD said:

It has everything to do with Emby. Regardless of what I am trying to do in the app, which you allege is pirated mater and is not true, I as a deaf individual am not given EQUAL ACCESS to accomplish the same end goal. There are stacks of case law about this, this is open and shut. I am done arguing with you and will now be using a Chat GPT to word the complaint which will be filed with the appropriate federal agency forthwith.

You are given equal access. If it's a premiere feature, then it's a premiere feature for the hearing privileged as well. Please point out how it's discrimination when EVERYONE is treated the same.

It's not like you selected you were deaf during the installation of Emby and then the software decided to block that feature just for you.

Plus, if the media you are trying to watch is really your own, then just rip them with subtitles in the first place. The only person denying you subtitles in this case is yourself because you opted to not include subtitles when you ripped your media.

• Agree 2

N5KWD

I'll just let the DOJ work it out with the discriminators at Emby. I'll say this one more freaking time:

People that do not have a hearing disability do not NEED subtitles as do people with hearing disabilities, So, there is no equal access to enjoy entertainment because to enjoy that same entertainment, a hearing impaired individual is forced to use a higher, paid version of the application to achieve the same outcome, a pecuniary penalty based on that handicap. Therefore, there is no equal, or substantially equal access to the same resource. Information and Communication Technology (ICT), which includes computer applications, must be accessible to people with physical, sensory, and cognitive disabilities. This accessibility is addressed by standards and guidelines issued under Section 508 of the Rehabilitation Act and Section 255 of the Communications Act. Therefore, media and entertainment players, as forms of ICT, are subject to these standards. 

The United States Department of Justice (DOJ) has clarified that websites and digital platforms fall under ADA coverage. This means that they should be designed and developed so that people with disabilities can use them. This includes people who are deaf or hard of hearing, who may use captioning to access content.

Both websites and computer applications are required to be accessible to all users, including those with visual or hearing impairments. If they are not, complaints can be filed through various channels, potentially leading to legal action.

Emby could simply do the right thing and allow users to search for subtitles from the free tier, or face, at a minimum, an ADA complaint and investigation from the activist and aggressive Disability Rights Section ou the U. S. Department of Justice.

• Disagree 1

Lambtalk
2 minutes ago, N5KWD said:

I'll just let the DOJ work it out with the discriminators at Emby. I'll say this one more freaking time:

People that do not have a hearing disability do not NEED subtitles as do people with hearing disabilities, So, there is no equal access to enjoy entertainment because to enjoy that same entertainment, a hearing impaired individual is forced to use a higher, paid version of the application to achieve the same outcome, a pecuniary penalty based on that handicap.

The United States Department of Justice (DOJ) has clarified that websites and digital platforms fall under ADA coverage. This means that they should be designed and developed so that people with disabilities can use them. This includes people who are deaf or hard of hearing, who may use captioning to access content.

I'll say this one more freaking time:

YOU are providing your own media. Emby is a software for viewing YOUR OWN MEDIA.

If you did the correct thing and ripped your media with subtitles in the first place, then you'd have no issues viewing those subtitles in Emby.

Emby IS designed so that deaf people can use captioning. The option to enable subtitles is right there during playback. Your issue really comes down to the fact that YOU didn't provide subtitles with your files.

The only reason you believe you're "forced" to pay for Emby Premiere is because YOU are providing your Emby server with bad media and expecting a paid feature (paid for EVERYONE) to be made available to you for free because of your disability.

There really is no discrimination going on here. As a free user of Emby, you can still provide subtitles and view them upon playback. You're given equal opportunity to enjoy the media YOU PROVIDE, which is the primary purpose of Emby. Emby is a personal media server for viewing your own content, not a tool primarily designed to scrape OpenSubtitles because you chose not to provide subtitles with your media.

• Agree 2

Happy2Play

I have absolutely no ideas what this is about but looks FREE to me.  But there is ZERO discrimination here.  And if you want to get technical you could consider Opensubtitles an illegal source.  Go brings any of this up to Official will just get them looking at you more closely for Pirating.

image.png.15655a8baeb77c1d9f37c0d3db79dc56.png

Happy2Play

So to me is it a question of a specific device maybe but you have to Unlock or have Premiere for TV apps.  So you may have a requirement to do searchs in a different device ie browser.

@ebrWhat is classified as in-playback subtitle search?

image.png.2e61ec51d08ee0cbdd1bbc0cb6f6839d.png

Edited by Happy2Play

Happy2Play

Just think if our country did the same as Australia.

Roadshow has successfully argued that subtitle files infringe copyright law.

Happy2Play
54 minutes ago, N5KWD said:

Emby could simply do the right thing and allow users to search for subtitles from the free tier, or face, at a minimum, an ADA complaint and investigation from the activist and aggressive Disability Rights Section ou the U. S. Department of Justice.

At the same time Emby does not provide you any media service period.

Emby is NOT a media streaming service. We provide no content. Emby is a Personal Media Server platform. You must have your own server installed and your own media (or Live TV tuner).

ALD76
1 hour ago, N5KWD said:

People that do not have a hearing disability do not NEED subtitles as do people with hearing disabilities, So, there is no equal access to enjoy entertainment because to enjoy that same entertainment, a hearing impaired individual is forced to use a higher, paid version of the application to achieve the same outcome, a pecuniary penalty based on that handicap. Therefore, there is no equal, or substantially equal access to the same resource. Information and Communication Technology (ICT), which includes computer applications, must be accessible to people with physical, sensory, and cognitive disabilities. This accessibility is addressed by standards and guidelines issued under Section 508 of the Rehabilitation Act and Section 255 of the Communications Act. Therefore, media and entertainment players, as forms of ICT, are subject to these standards. 

Both websites and computer applications are required to be accessible to all users, including those with visual or hearing impairments. If they are not, complaints can be filed through various channels, potentially leading to legal action.

Of course we need subtitles how do you think we watch foreign films ?

Edited by ALD76

RanmaCanada

Seems OP here absolutely has no understanding that their pirated media is the problem, not the server.  If OP wants to go ahead and get the DOJ involved, I do hope they enjoy having themselves looked at for breaking the DMCA and for copyright infringement.  The DMCA is broken when you break the encryption (the DRM) on your own dvd's and blurays to put them on your server.  Copyright infringement is performed when you illegally download materials that you do not own, nor have the rights to.  Emby does not provide you with any media, ergo the ADA does not apply.  If Emby provided you with materials like Plex does (they have streaming content available to all users), then it would, but as they do not, and YOU have to supply your own media, this is once again a YOU problem.  And as @Happy2Playhas pointed out, providing subtitles is illegal, and yes that also includes fansubs of foreign content.

Keep digging your hole deeper.  I award you a platinum medal in the event of mental gymnastics.

The movies are copyrighted (they are original and fixed in tangible form). (17 U.S. Code § 102(a))

17 U.S. Code § 106(2) provides that the owner of copyright has the exclusive rights to prepare and to authorize to preparation of derivative works based upon the copyrighted work.

17 U.S. Code § 101 defines derivative work as

a work based upon one or more preexisting works, such as a translation, musical arrangement, dramatization, fictionalization, motion picture version, sound recording, art reproduction, abridgment, condensation, or any other form in which a work may be recast, transformed, or adapted....

Hi.  Only searching and downloading subtitles during playback is a Premiere feature.  But, in any case, there is no intended or actual discrimination here.

Happy2Play
10 minutes ago, ebr said:

Hi.  Only searching and downloading subtitles during playback is a Premiere feature.  But, in any case, there is no intended or actual discrimination here.

So searching before playback as I showed above should work without premiere?  Was sure if this was an app specific issue.

Now if nothing is found during that search that is a totally different issue. 

Edited by Happy2Play

TMCsw
22 hours ago, N5KWD said:

After we spent o8r last welfare check

I as someone whom actually does have (a somewhat different) handicap, I have never collected welfare or relayed on any businesses catering to serve me undue gifts. Although there are many peps out there that are, in the moment willing to give me a hand (non monetary), I always show appreciation (even when I find there help annoying!).

I find it rather insulting that you think emby is discriminating against you...

just look up how to get subtitles for free, but you are too lazy to do that (seems you don’t have a job, so you have lots of spare time)

Your bitterness will get you nowhere! Be Nice!

Why don’t you ask nicely for help to get your subtitles?

• Agree 3

21 hours ago, Happy2Play said:

So searching before playback as I showed above should work without premiere?  Was sure if this was an app specific issue.

Correct, yes.

N5KWD

There clearly nis discrimination against the hearing impaired whether intentional or not. Your attempts to state that this is not the case indicate that you do not understand what discrimination against the handicapped really involves.  It really is a complicated issue and it comes down to one thing: access. I've been living with it my entire life and now, on behalf of my child, I am fighting against it. I will be filing a complaint with the DOJ and possibly with my state as well' But even if Emby decided to do the right thing and make handicap access completely accessible, I will not be using this product anymore. There are other alternatives available that respect the rights of the handicapped. Thank you for excluding us.

• Sad 1

Happy2Play

LOL Emby provides no media stream service or media content.  So if any discrimination is happening you are doing it to yourself via YOUR MEDIA.

Edited by Happy2Play
  • Agree 2