Emby require to start as adminsitrator to enable SSL?

jplobao

jplobao

Hi,

So, i am migrating Emby to other server, and now i noticed that, to be SSL available, i have to run Emby as an administrator. However, doing this i will loose access to the mapping drive to access all the library content.

Therefor, can you help me to configure a way, to Emby enable SSL, with my user account that has the mapping drives created, as i had in old server?

Thank you for your help

Hi, starting as admin is not required for ssl. What makes you think this?

jplobao

Because when i start as admin it looks like this: 

image.png.e6d1c4827efdc0305cc8663c45c887ba.png

But when i run without admin rights stays like this:

image.png.220ea72b4922431c717a81c2b41ad8d6.png

jplobao

I found an workaround. Creating the mapping drive while administrator solved the issue:

Run CMD as admin and use NET USE

image.png.c523718f05a00365af267b058534e0e1.png

and adding a regestry key:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\System 

New DWORD named: EnableLinkedConnections

Set value to 1

Restart PC

darkassassin07

A server log would help, but absent that; I'd guess the non-admin user doesn't have permission to access the ssl cert thus can't start the https listener.

Running emby server (or any web service) as administrator is not a good idea.

Happy2Play

Per that log there shouldn't be an issue.

2024-03-15 19:34:16.566 Info App: Adding HttpListener prefix http://+:8096/
2024-03-15 19:34:16.566 Info App: Adding HttpListener prefix https://+:443/

jplobao
Posted (edited)

it was running as admin... 

Attached with regular user 

Edited by jplobao

Happy2Play
3 minutes ago, jplobao said:

it was running as admin... 

Attached with regular user 

Please remove log do to what you named your cert.

But as suspected user did not have access to cert.

Error loading cert from xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Internal.Cryptography.CryptoThrowHelper+WindowsCryptographicException: Access denied.

Or is unable to load do to permissions but dev might be able to interpret it correctly.

Edited by Happy2Play

jplobao

The certificate is on a folder where all users have access! it is a standard folder...

Adding HttpListener prefix https://+:443/

Maybe this is your issue. 

Emby Server does not need admin rights for SSL, but binding to port 443 is a special case that might special authorization on the system.

FYI the default ssl port for emby server is 8920.

Happy2Play
1 minute ago, Luke said:
Adding HttpListener prefix https://+:443/

Maybe this is your issue. 

Emby Server does not need admin rights for SSL, but binding to port 443 is a special case that might special authorization on the system.

That log was loaded as admin user.

Removed log was User got access denied.

2024-03-15 20:17:19.503 Error App: Error loading cert from C:\Cert\xxxxxxxxx.pfx
	*** Error Report ***
	Version: 4.8.3.0
	Command line: C:\Users\Administrator\AppData\Roaming\Emby-Server\system\EmbyServer.dll
	Operating system: Microsoft Windows 10.0.19045
	Framework: .NET 6.0.27
	OS/Process: x64/x64
	Runtime: C:/Users/Administrator/AppData/Roaming/Emby-Server/system/System.Private.CoreLib.dll
	Processor count: 4
	Data path: C:\Users\Administrator\AppData\Roaming\Emby-Server\programdata
	Application path: C:\Users\Administrator\AppData\Roaming\Emby-Server\system
	Internal.Cryptography.CryptoThrowHelper+WindowsCryptographicException: Internal.Cryptography.CryptoThrowHelper+WindowsCryptographicException: Access denied.
	   at Internal.Cryptography.Pal.CertificatePal.FilterPFXStore(ReadOnlySpan`1 rawData, SafePasswordHandle password, PfxCertStoreFlags pfxCertStoreFlags)
	   at Internal.Cryptography.Pal.CertificatePal.FromBlobOrFile(ReadOnlySpan`1 rawData, String fileName, SafePasswordHandle password, X509KeyStorageFlags keyStorageFlags)
	   at System.Security.Cryptography.X509Certificates.X509Certificate..ctor(String fileName, String password, X509KeyStorageFlags keyStorageFlags)
	   at System.Security.Cryptography.X509Certificates.X509Certificate2..ctor(String fileName, String password)
	   at Emby.Server.Implementations.ApplicationHost.GetCertificate(CertificateInfo info)
	Source: System.Security.Cryptography.X509Certificates
	TargetSite: Internal.Cryptography.Pal.Native.SafeCertContextHandle FilterPFXStore(System.ReadOnlySpan`1[System.Byte], Microsoft.Win32.SafeHandles.SafePasswordHandle, Internal.Cryptography.Pal.Native.PfxCertStoreFlags)

So is it a User cannot load or just doesn't have permission to the cert?

• Thanks 1

Ok so @jplobaowe cannot tell you why access is being denied. We can only confirm that it is happening and give you steps to try and resolve it, but there is no way for us to determine why as it is specific to your enviornment.

My suggestion would be to make a certificates subfolder underneath C:\Users\Administrator\AppData\Roaming\Emby-Server\programdata

And put the pfx there.

jplobao

For testing porpuses, i changed the port to the default one, but the issue is the same.

Regarding to pfx file, i added security for "Everyone" , Full control. The folder also Full contro for user "Everyone". The same still continues to happen.

As i said, because of an issue with addin "Trailers" (you can see it in other post of mine), today i migrated from Windows 8 to Windows 10. In windows 8 the same configurarions were working fine. In Windows10 i got this issue...

I will test putting the certificate on the folder mentioned by @Lukeand i will give you some feedback about it

jplobao

The result was the same.

If you want i can paste here the logs... But the results were the same

7 hours ago, jplobao said:

The result was the same.

If you want i can paste here the logs... But the results were the same

Hi, yes please and thanks.

jplobao

Hi,

I reviewed that post, and checked my machine and the default permissions are set!. This "server" it was not an upgrade, but a fresh windows 10 install. I use "certifytheweb" to generate the certificate, and it goes with no issue.

Do you still think this is the issue?

Thanks

and it goes with no issue.

"goes with no issue" doesn't really matter. The problem is related to how the certificate is configured, not whether it succeeds to generate or not. The certificate is configured to use the local machine keystore, and this is what is throwing the access denied errors.