Importing Media spins Up disks - Tiered Caching

Breece
Go to solution Solved by Breece,

Breece

Hey there, 

I am using emby, latest version, with libraries on a mergerfs Pool. Emby and all it's cache etc is installed on a SSD as well. 

I've just added an SSD for tiered caching. New files always get written to the SSD first. Playing those files works as intended, the HDDs in the pool don't spin up. 

I've configured my libraries to detect changes automatically. When I copy a new movie for example emby notices that and creates Metadata etc. This causes the drives to spin up though and I don't know why. Is there anything I can do to troubleshot or configure? Does emby, for example, check free space with imports? That would cause all drives to spin up. 

Any help is greatly appreciated 😊

• Solution
Breece

Hey Luke,

thank you for the reply and I can say that I've found the problem myself. Maybe others can use the information:

My problem was that seemingly the import of movie files that are located on the ssd part of a HDD/SSD pool would wake up the disks. That is not true. I've done a clean test with a movie file that was not in emby yet and the HDDs were not spinning afterwards AND the movie still shows up with metadata.

What happened was that an already existing file got upgraded. The old file, that was on a HDD, got deleted which a) woke up the disk and b) caused emby to refresh the library which prob. c) woke the other disk(s) that had stuff from that library on it.

2024-03-15 20:22:27.740 Info LibraryMonitor: movies (/data/movies) will be refreshed.

Its not an emby but a user who is sitting in front of it problem :)

• Thanks 1