Make Emby play same tvshow version on each episode

cubatilles

cubatilles

Hi,

I have an Emby Server on DSM Synology and a client on a Windows with Emby Theater.

For some tvshows, I have different versions on the same folder, I mean:

Dragon Ball S02xE05 [Color Correction 2023 DragonBox R2J].mkv

Dragon Ball S02xE05 [DBAI Project].mkv

Dragon Ball S02xE05 [Remaster 2022 AB Video].mkv

and such, 3 versions of each episode. Everything is correctly scrapped and I can select which version to play when navigating to the episode menu from Emby Theater.

The problem is when an episode finishes and automatically plays the next episode, Emby always tries to play the default episode version instead of the next episode of the corresponding version that was playing. It's annoying because I have to stop and manually select the corresponding version when an episode starts.

It would be nice Emby remembers which episode version you're playing and autoplays the same episode version when starting next episode.

Greetings.

tedfroop21

Yes I noticed it doing the same thing for TV shows with multiple versions.  I seem to remember previous versions of Emby would continue playing the selected version when auto playing.

GrimReaper
2 hours ago, cubatilles said:

when an episode finishes and automatically plays the next episode, Emby always tries to play the default episode version

There is no "default" version, version selected is client-dependent: Emby picks the one that it deems will be played most efficiently on client machine (so between clients, it is possible that you might see different versions being pre-selected). 

You can lend your support here:

rbjtech

maybe I'm over simplying this - but I've often thought why don't you just use 'Tags' as part of the playback selection process - re multi-cut episode versions ?

It's simple to add a tag (automatically or manually) and the player simply has to look for the same tag on the next episode - if it can't find it, then fall back to the normal logic.

You could even extend it to have a 'default' tag - and if this is the first episode, then that is the one that's always chosen over the other versions unless forced ..