PGS subs v. VOB/SUB subs

lancelot381

lancelot381

I am an amateur, having a problem displaying PGS subs on the TV screen.  I ripped appropriately 180 DVD / Blu-ray discs, using "make MKV" and reduce the files to a smaller MKV file with the Handbrake program.  Approximately 80% of the MKV files turned out to have the PGS format subs and the rest are VOB/SUB format files.  I am using an Panasonic DMP-BD84P-K player who does display the VOB/SUB subs perfectly on the TV screen however, does not, or is not capable of displaying (transmitting the PGS subs) to the TV screen.  The Casablanca movie file for example has 14 different foreign PGS sub files, which will not shown up on the TV screen. The movie "It started in Naples" has just as many VOB/SUB subs, which are displayed correctly on the TV screen. Can the batch of PGS subs be converted / changed into the VOB/SUB format, so that they are also transmitted to the screen by my Panasonic? 

Can the batch of PGS subs be converted / changed into the VOB/SUB format,

hi, I think there are tools to convert between these formats but I don't know of any offhand. @pwhodgesmight know.

pwhodges
2 hours ago, Luke said:

hi, I think there are tools to convert between these formats but I don't know of any offhand. @pwhodgesmight know.

Yes, there is a Java program to do this conversion: BDSup2Sub.  It's over ten years old - but so are the formats.  It will be tedious, as you need to extract the subs first, convert them, and then remux them in - for each affected file.  

For the files with multiple subs you can omit the unwanted ones in HandBrake, if you're using it, or separately using MKVToolNix.

But I agree with Luke - what needed is to find out why these PGS subs are not being shown on your TV, and fix that.

Paul

• Thanks 1

badous

What if you disable hardware transcoding and see if with software transcoding it will display them?

lancelot381
On 3/12/2024 at 4:00 PM, Luke said:

But can we look at your original issue? You should be able to play PGS.

Thanks.

The Panasonic DMP-BD84P-K will not transmit/display the PGS sube see the attached manual excerpt. 

IMG_20240311_083914.jpg

lancelot381
On 3/12/2024 at 6:48 PM, badous said:

What if you disable hardware transcoding and see if with software transcoding it will display them?

As I stated before, I am an amateur and would not know how to perform this step. Thank's for your effort. 

lancelot381
On 3/12/2024 at 4:00 PM, Luke said:

But can we look at your original issue? You should be able to play PGS.

Thanks.

The Panasonic DMP-BD84P-K will just not do it. It does display the VOB/SUB of my video files of the two formats

IMG_20240311_083914.jpg

lancelot381
23 minutes ago, Luke said:

@lancelot381

Hi there, let's look at an example. Please attach the information requested in how to report a media playback issue. Thanks!

There is no example to look at. The player just displays VOB/SUB, the least amount of my video files, but not the PGS subs of the majority of my files. 

pwhodges

An example involves trying and failing, and then providing the server log that covers the period so the devs can work out what the server is failing to do to get around the problem - then thy can fix it.  Saying " it doesn't work" is describing a symptom; providing additional information such as logs is helping diagnosis.

Paul

seanbuff

I'm unclear as to how Emby is involved here. Are you using the Panasonic BD player to connect to your Emby Server via DLNA or something?

• Agree 1

rbjtech

The panasonic devices does not support PGS subs over DLNA - its says so in the specifications.

The user will need to use text based subs - not ideal for possible sync reasons, but by using a 'DVD' or 'Bluray' sourced/identified text based subtitle version via Emby's own subtitle functionality (open subtitles) - this should work out ok.   

Using your example above - this is manually retrieved, but emby will get them for you automatically as well (in multiple languages if you wish)

image.thumb.png.18545f2d21bd2e091e79d4d95d07770f.png

Edited by rbjtech

badous
7 hours ago, lancelot381 said:

As I stated before, I am an amateur and would not know how to perform this step. Thank's for your effort. 

image.png.36c641739105767452420c4aaaebe0bd.png

You can find the option here.

pwhodges
1 hour ago, rbjtech said:

The user will need to use text based subs - not ideal for possible sync reasons, but by using a 'DVD' or 'Bluray' sourced/identified text based subtitle version via Emby's own subtitle functionality (open subtitles) - this should work out ok.

Alternatively, if the subtitles are always required, the required PGS ones can be burned in when processing through Handbrake.

Paul

Edited by pwhodges
  • Agree 1

rbjtech
23 minutes ago, pwhodges said:

Alternatively, if the subtitles are always required, the PGS ones can be burned in when processing through Handbrake.

Paul

Agree, but I presume as the user opted to keep all the subtitles - they want the option to select from multiple languages.. ?  or maybe they were not aware they could choose the subs to bring across .. 🤔

• Like 1

lancelot381
2 hours ago, pwhodges said:

Alternatively, if the subtitles are always required, the required PGS ones can be burned in when processing through Handbrake.

Paul

Here I go again, I am interested of being able to display all available subs of any particular movie on  the TV screen, as I have many friends with different nationality backgrounds. There are only two solutions in my opinion. First, the best for my situation is to convert the PGS to VOB/SUV, or #2, find a play, which is capable of displaying both types of subs on my TV screen.

Thanks 

rbjtech
1 minute ago, lancelot381 said:

Here I go again, I am interested of being able to display all available subs of any particular movie on  the TV screen, as I have many friends with different nationality backgrounds. There are only two solutions in my opinion. First, the best for my situation is to convert the PGS to VOB/SUV, or #2, find a play, which is capable of displaying both types of subs on my TV screen.

Thanks 

Why rule out the 3rd and most compatible option - which is to use txt based subtitles ?   

Most devices do not support PGS subs - and when they are attempted on devices that do not support them - it forces transcoding.   srt is supported on 100% of devices.

The very first thing I do for all my media is strip the PGS - as it was never designed for streaming as it's a graphical overlay not 'data'.

VOB/SUB is also an ancient format, I would not put any time/effort into converting to that format. 

lancelot381
10 minutes ago, rbjtech said:

Why rule out the 3rd and most compatible option - which is to use txt based subtitles ?   

Most devices do not support PGS subs - and when they are attempted on devices that do not support them - it forces transcoding.   srt is supported on 100% of devices.

The very first thing I do for all my media is strip the PGS - as it was never designed for streaming as it's a graphical overlay not 'data'.

VOB/SUB is also an ancient format, I would not put any time/effort into converting to that format. 

Chip chip cheerio, please don't knock the VOB/SUB format, as they display just fine. Now tell me how to turn / convert the PGS format into text based subs, as you suggested. What do I do after stripping the PGS subs and why?

This bloody situation doesn't make sense to me at all. All my PAL from across the channel DVD and BD discs display all the subtitles fine, when plaid in my multi player. However, when convert with make MKV and Handbrake to MKV files and burned on to an 25gb BD, the PGS subs just won't show up on the TV screen. 

rbjtech
16 minutes ago, lancelot381 said:

. However, when convert with make MKV and Handbrake to MKV files and burned on to an 25gb BD, the PGS subs just won't show up on the TV screen. 

So you are not playing back via Emby ?

Edited by rbjtech

lancelot381
18 minutes ago, rbjtech said:

So you are not playing back via Emby ?

Actually, I have no idea what Emby is. This is my first encounter with this word, sorry I am as stated an amateur. 

• Confused 1

rbjtech

You posted in the DLNA section of an Emby forum - then you mention that you are burning to UHD for playback - we are just confused what you are trying to do  ?

If your query is about burning UHD disks and why they don't playback PGS subs on your or anybody elses player - that is not related to Emby, thus has no place in this forum .. ;)

If you query is why is DLNA playback (via your panasonic player) not showing PGS subs - then this is what this topic/thread is about and we are trying to help you resolve it ...  we have given suggestions.   It's not something we can solve if your panasonic player will not play them, you need to convert to something that it is compatible with - see above for various suggestions.

30 minutes ago, rbjtech said:

You posted in the DLNA section of an Emby forum

Actually I moved this topic here once we determined (what we thought) he was using.

It was originally in the Feature Requests section.

@lancelot381you are not using Emby?  This entire forum is for Emby support.

lancelot381
7 hours ago, rbjtech said:

You posted in the DLNA section of an Emby forum - then you mention that you are burning to UHD for playback - we are just confused what you are trying to do  ?

If your query is about burning UHD disks and why they don't playback PGS subs on your or anybody elses player - that is not related to Emby, thus has no place in this forum .. ;)

If you query is why is DLNA playback (via your panasonic player) not showing PGS subs - then this is what this topic/thread is about and we are trying to help you resolve it ...  we have given suggestions.   It's not something we can solve if your panasonic player will not play them, you need to convert to something that it is compatible with - see above for various suggestions.

My humble apologies for having stumbled into your emby forum, truly.  An earlier PGS subs-v-VOBSUB forum somewhere on the Internet transferred me, but I don't know how into your forum.

I do thank you very much for your kind attempt to help me to solve my problem.

I am bidding you friendly people goodby. Thanks for your kindness, truly. 

• Like 1