Roku "slow motion" video playback with HEVC

rotational467

rotational467

My wife has run into this on a couple of different movies now, and everything has been HEVC.  Playback will be normal and the problem will "suddenly start".  Server reports direct play for everything. On the Roku client video playback is in "slow motion", really just skipping frames at a fixed rate, while audio seems unaffected.  Stats for nerds reports direct playback and nothing odd (I haven't tried playback correction).  Simply stopping and restarting playback does not correct it.  Nothing apparent in the server logs.  Reproduced with the same and different media files on both a 3820 stick and a 4802 Ultra.  This started fairly recently, I think she first mentioned it in January.

pic1.jpg

pic2.jpg

embyserver.txt hgcf.txt

Edited by rotational467

Hi.  Do those same files exhibit issues direct playing in any of the other apps?

Does the issue resolve if you use the "Playback Correction" option during playback?

rotational467

The only other client that sees significant use here besides Roku is Kodi, and there have been no playback issues there.  The problem is not constant, and the same media will sometimes play through normally on Roku.  The only common factor I've seen is that everything she's had this issue with has been HEVC.

I've got standing orders to leave it alone the next time it happens so I can try Playback Correction.  Will provide logs with that when I'm able to try it.

Settings >> System >> Power >> System Restart

Have you restarted the Roku and seen if it repeats this behavior? The Roku uses the audio signal to time the video so if you change the Audio settings on Roku without restarting it might happen. It can also happen in reverse and the video will move in slow motion rather than sped up.

https://developer.roku.com/docs/developer-program/release-notes/roku-os-release-notes.md

If you look here you can see the notes for the almost released OS13 for Roku. Part of this appears to be video player work. Hopefully they address this issue because everything was direct playing. That means Roku has full control and Emby is just passing the file to the Roku over HTTP. If you use Playback Correction this might correct it. If you press it once it will copy both streams and use a new container. If you press it a second time it will transcode the video stream from hevc to h264. So just press it once and see if it fixes this. No need to press it twice that of course will. After OS13 comes out for Roku it should correct this issue.

https://community.roku.com/t5/Solving-playback-issues/bd-p/audio-video

You can also make a thread on Roku forums about this issue directly. Mention you are using Emby with all the same details you brought up here. Their support people should escalate this higher. They will ask if you also have the same problem with Roku Media Player since it can reach your Emby server via DLNA. If you play the same file using Roku Media Player does it also play choppy in that same manner? It should since Emby was direct playing everything which is exactly how Roku Media Player works. There is one video player node on Roku. We only get aliased high level access to a few variables within it. We cannot control low level access of the video player. This is why we cannot fix it alone. It requires Roku pitch in. Hope you understand.

You can always push the playback correction button twice to force the transcode to h264 if you must. That will always correct it.

https://community.roku.com/t5/Channels-viewing/Roku-Media-Player-and-choppy-video-when-viewing-H-265-1080p-files/td-p/847053

Same issue you have is on the Roku forums while using Roku Media Player.

Bigger question, if you remux from MP4 into an MKV does it still have this issue?

Edited by speechles
  • Thanks 1

rotational467
Posted (edited)

Sorry in the middle of some unexpected home construction, have not had much time to watch TV :)

Bigger question, if you remux from MP4 into an MKV does it still have this issue?

I believe that all affected media has been HEVC in MP4 - I will try remuxing one of the movies that she's had trouble with consistently.

Edited by rotational467

OK please let us know how that goes. Thanks.