new hard drive wont pick up media

donmega

donmega

I have installed a new hard drive in my PC

but when I go to to libraries in the server settings and try to add new folder, it cant seem to get the media to add into the library and show up on the server.

the server picks up the hard drive and I can navigate through the folders that I have created, but when i click ok and press refresh data nothing is picked up.

also I now cannot remove the folder from the library, the server just keeps spinning round until i click on a different section.

I have checked the hard drive settings and they match the same as the other two i have, shared drive all permissions the same as the others

any advance you be appreciated.

hi there, can you please provide an example? Thanks.

donmega

as i said

when i add a folder to a library, the harddrive is visable on the drop down menu and the folders are visable. i am able to pick a folder.. the folder is added to the list in the library. when i press refresh..nothing is added to it

i cannot now delete the picked folder from the list.

please advise anyone

when i press refresh

Hi, what exactly do you mean by this? We don't have a button that just says "refresh".

i cannot now delete the picked folder from the list.

Hi, what exactly happens when you try?

donmega

Sorry I meant to say scan library files there, see pic 2 attached

Cant delete folder, see pic 3 attached,. the pop up just closes, I now have multiple folders the same, as they wont delete

pic 1 shows that emby has picked up the hard drive (z) put when scan library files is carried out, the data is not available on the main app.

pic1.PNG

pic2.PNG

pic3.PNG

donmega

Hi

Does anyone have any ideas how to fix this issue?

as I really don't want to re install Emby to try and fix the issue

stevehoffman203

Your Z drive appears to be a shared folder on a computer different than your Emby Server.  Make sure that your Share and it's child folders have correct permissions on them for Emby to access.  It could be that Emby is able to access the shared drive, but not it's contents.

as they wont delete

What exactly happens when you try?

donmega

Nothing happens the page just stays there, until I click on something else

donmega
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, stevehoffman203 said:

Your Z drive appears to be a shared folder on a computer different than your Emby Server.  Make sure that your Share and it's child folders have correct permissions on them for Emby to access.  It could be that Emby is able to access the shared drive, but not it's contents.

Yes, this hard drive wasn't purchased new as the others are. this was purchased off Ebay as used.

I have given permissions and shared all folders

Capture100.PNG

Edited by donmega

10 hours ago, donmega said:

Nothing happens the page just stays there, until I click on something else

Can you please attach the emby server log from when you tried to do that? Thanks.

donmega

anyone found anything from the log file

really dont want to reinstall everything after getting it all setup

rbjtech

Did you format the HDD when you got it, or was it already formatted and you just plugged it in ? 

Using the normal windows file explorer and the same login account you use for emby - are you able to browse to the folders on this hard drive ?  If you click on the mp4/mkv files - do they 'attempt' to open with Windows Media Player or something like that ?     

Yes those are good questions that would be helpful to know the answers to. Thanks.

donmega
Posted (edited)
23 hours ago, rbjtech said:

Did you format the HDD when you got it, or was it already formatted and you just plugged it in ? 

Using the normal windows file explorer and the same login account you use for emby - are you able to browse to the folders on this hard drive ?  If you click on the mp4/mkv files - do they 'attempt' to open with Windows Media Player or something like that ?     

Hi

No I didn't format the hard drive as it was already formatted to NTFS,

Yes I have no issues playing or storing anything, works as a normal hard drive as my others, the hard drive was empty, all folders created by myself and files transferred over with no problems

as stated the emby server sees all folders but just wont add the files to the system

Also when clicking on " scan library files " the server now crashes, ie starts lagging in performance, and slows down, I have to close it all down and restart it

Edited by donmega

rbjtech
1 hour ago, donmega said:

Hi

Yes I have no issues playing or storing anything, works as a normal hard drive as my others, the hard drive was empty, all folders created by myself and files transferred over with no problems

as stated the emby server sees all folders but just wont add the files to the system

Also when clicking on " scan library files " the server now crashes, ie starts lagging in performance, and slows down, I have to close it all down and restart it

ok - if you can see the files outside of emby, then I guess there are no OS level issues.   Sounds like Emby is not healthy at all .. :(

3 hours ago, donmega said:

Hi

Hi there, please attach the emby server log from when this happened:

Thanks.

donmega

Just a quick update to this issue

I have managed to get the files into server by picking the root folder (i.e Z/) rather than a folder (ie Z/movies) therefore the server picks everything thing up and puts it into the chosen folder.

the only downside now is that I cant use the drive to pick up other folders.

Maybe the issue is that my other drive also has a folder called "movies" could this be the issue? both drives with the same name for a folder.

any other ideas

donmega

Another update, finally sorted the problem out

As suggesting in last post, YES having both folders named "movies" was the issue at the end, now I have renamed it movies2 it has finally picked up the files, and i am able to set new folders within the new hard drive, maybe an issue that needs fixing or notifying users

Thanks to everyone who replied back with suggestions

• Thanks 1