Cannot access server remot

MunchkinDaddy

MunchkinDaddy

Hmmm I have to look into that. Never had to check for cgnat before 

23 hours ago, MunchkinDaddy said:

Hmmm I have to look into that. Never had to check for cgnat before 

@MunchkinDaddyplease let us know what you find. Thanks.

MunchkinDaddy

Hmm interesting findings. When I go to whatismyip.com on the desktop computer where my Emby server is hosted, and copy that IP into a blank browser window, the browser says the site cannot be reached. I logged into my router from my phone and the IP address under my WAN MAC Address; that IP address does fall into the range of IP addresses described into the CGNAT instructions, it looks like I am behind CGNAT. This is the first time I have experienced this. It must be due to using my own purchased router and not using the ISP's equipment anymore. Do I need to run everything behind a VPN?

MunchkinDaddy

I also noticed in my router settings, it's a dynamic IP. Should it be a static IP?

MunchkinDaddy

I tried switching to a static IP and after needing to add the IP, subnet mask, dns; I actually lost all connectivity to internet. I will have to either play with each individual setting or setup a VPN. If I setup a VPN, how would I set it up to allow Emby to connect remotely through a VPN?

jaycedk

Did you get an actual Static IP from your ISP = Internet Service Provider ?

By calling them an asking for 1.

MunchkinDaddy

No, I tried switching to a static IP in the router settings.

jaycedk

Your ISP need to issue you a static IP.

You can't pick and choose.

11 hours ago, jaycedk said:

Your ISP need to issue you a static IP.

You can't pick and choose.

I think he means he assigned a static IP on the local network, which is good, but @MunchkinDaddythat does not give you a static remote IP address. That needs to come from your ISP, if that's what you want.

Does that help?

MunchkinDaddy

Used the IP of my computer along with the subnet mask and dns from the command prompt ipconfig command. Used the values to assign the statis IP address. Ok, guess I can't use those values. I'll have to contact the ISP. While reading the instructions about the CGNAT; I found out about setting the Static IP, and my router settings have a drop down menu to change from a Dynamic IP to a Static IP, but if you select the Static IP from there, you have to manually input the IP, subnet mask and dns. That is why I used the ipconfig command to find out the subnet mask and dns.

jaycedk

FYI a Static IP from your ISP, is for the most times delivered to you as an Dynamic IP.

They simply add you routers mac address to there DHCP scope.

If they give you an Static IP, you will simply have to restart your router, or wait 24 hours depending on lease time to live (TTL)