Only loading when direct playing 4k Dolby vision HEVC video file

tuxabyte
Go to solution Solved by rbjtech,

tuxabyte

I am running Emby in docker, my igpu for transcoding is an intel uhd 730 i5-11400 processor.

My television is an Philips 65PUS Television with the Android TV operating system.

I'm trying to direct play an classic 4K Dolby Vision HEVC file (it's a wonderful life) on my television using the AndroidTV app and it's only loading no playback or audio is shown.

Casting the same file from my Android phone to the TV seems to be working.

How can I make it work on Android TV and are my transcoding settings optimal for my hardware?

See attached images for transcoding settings and ffmpeg logging.

Screenshot_20240310-111315.png

Screenshot_20240310-111313.png

Screenshot_20240310-111309.png

Screenshot_20240310-111305.png

Screenshot_20240310-111259.png

Screenshot_20240310-111251.png

Screenshot_20240310-111238.png

ffmpeg-remux-8b4c07b1-00d7-4830-95b1-5c43e68b337f_1.txt

tuxabyte

I couldn't find any errors in the logging. Also, on the server dashboard it's showing as my media playing.

tuxabyte

I have more 4K atmos files and some files work others don't. Any help is appreciated.

jaycedk

In your first example it looks like client does not like audio truehd.

And the video is direct playing.

09:39:20.368 Stream mapping:
09:39:20.368   Stream #0:0 -> #0:0 (copy)
09:39:20.368   Stream #0:1 -> #0:1 (truehd (native) -> aac (native))

Can you try with AC3 audio ?

tuxabyte
Posted (edited)

Just tried playback with AC3 audio same file result is only loading.

Edited by tuxabyte

Hi.  The log you provided is from playback on your phone.

App: Emby for Android 3.3.66
Pixel 7

RanmaCanada

AKAIK you can only tone map DV Profile 5 and possibly 7.  No other profiles can be tone mapped, and they will refuse to play.  DV is proprietary and playback and support is a can of worms that will eat your face if you don't understand it.  What is the metadata of the file you are trying to playback?  If it's from a UHD, it's more than likley profile 8 which can not be tone mapped and you would need to use the DVVT Tools to either add an HDR layer to the file (if it wasn't copied across during the ripping process), or to strip the DV completely from it.

Can you post the mediainfo of the file in question?

tuxabyte
4 hours ago, RanmaCanada said:

AKAIK you can only tone map DV Profile 5 and possibly 7.  No other profiles can be tone mapped, and they will refuse to play.  DV is proprietary and playback and support is a can of worms that will eat your face if you don't understand it.  What is the metadata of the file you are trying to playback?  If it's from a UHD, it's more than likley profile 8 which can not be tone mapped and you would need to use the DVVT Tools to either add an HDR layer to the file (if it wasn't copied across during the ripping process), or to strip the DV completely from it.

Can you post the mediainfo of the file in question?

Screenshot_20240311-075451~2.png

tuxabyte
12 hours ago, ebr said:

Can you please play that item for a few seconds and then follow the instructions to send a log from the app?

Unfortunately, there is no logging available, even when the debugging information is enabled on the TV app. I think it has to do with the fact that no playback is happening at all. Only the loading circle spins. It seems to be that only titles with Dolby profile 7.6 are unable to do playback on my TV.

RanmaCanada
7 hours ago, tuxabyte said:

Screenshot_20240311-075451~2.png

Well part of the problem here is there is no such thing as DV Profile 7.6.  I would recommend using MakeMKV or DVVT to "fix" the file by removing the DV layers so your TV plays it as HDR10+.  

• Solution
rbjtech
Posted (edited)

On Android - the Shield Pro is one of the few devices to support DV7.   Built in Android (on your TV) does not.

The best way to get any DV7 file to play (as DV), is to convert it to DV8 - use tools available online.

If you just want HDR10, then it should play using the base layer without any further processing needed.

Edited by rbjtech

rbjtech
3 minutes ago, RanmaCanada said:

Well part of the problem here is there is no such thing as DV Profile 7.6.  I would recommend using MakeMKV or DVVT to "fix" the file by removing the DV layers so your TV plays it as HDR10+.  

DV7.6 is a valid single layer DV7 Profile ?  

What are Dolby Vision profiles and levels? - table 2.1 from Dolby's own documentation .. ;)

tuxabyte
2 hours ago, RanmaCanada said:

I am so confused... a different movie Title with identical Dolby profile (7.6) works fine. Anyways I stripped down the Dolby layer from Its a wonderful life and it is currently uploading it to my share. Hoping that it will be able to do playback on my TV.

tuxabyte
Posted (edited)
8 minutes ago, tuxabyte said:

I am so confused... a different movie Title with identical Dolby profile (7.6) works fine. Anyways I stripped down the Dolby layer from Its a wonderful life and it is currently uploading it to my share. Hoping that it will be able to do playback on my TV.

It works without Dolby layer. I said that a different version with same Dolby profile used to work fine but this was on jellyfin. I'm kinda disappointed that I have to manually remove the DV layer so emby on Android TV can work with it.

Issue solved i suppose? It's still weird to me why I can't playback dolby profile 7.6 on my android tv in  the emby app.

Edited by tuxabyte

rbjtech
4 minutes ago, tuxabyte said:

Don't be confused.   There is a lot of misinformation, varied quality and competing standards out there.    The very best way to get the consistency back is to always create/remux the files as you want them to be using a mature toolset.    I personally even remux mkv's created by makemkv, as then you KNOW they have a consistent build and have been created 'properly' by tools that are dedicated to do that (mkvmerge, from the creator of the mkv container).

rbjtech
4 minutes ago, tuxabyte said:

It works without Dolby layer. I said that a different version with same Dolby profile used to work fine but this was on jellyfin. I'm kinda disappointed that I have to manually remove the DV layer so emby on Android TV can work with it.

Issue solved i suppose? It's still weird to me why I can't playback dolby profile 7.6 on my android tv in  the emby app.

DV 7.6 works just fine in the AndroidTV App (on my Shield Pro) - but the devices have to report that they are capable of playing it.    

If it works in JF, then perhaps emby is not receiving the correct info that it should play - but I'm fairly certain that all 'TV' versions of Android do not support DV7 - as this is not a 'streaming' version of DV, thus only DV5 and DV8 are supported.    DV7 is of course supported by the TV itself but only via HDMI. (UHD Blu-Ray Player).

tuxabyte
Posted (edited)
10 minutes ago, rbjtech said:

DV 7.6 works just fine in the AndroidTV App (on my Shield Pro) - but the devices have to report that they are capable of playing it.    

If it works in JF, then perhaps emby is not receiving the correct info that it should play - but I'm fairly certain that all 'TV' versions of Android do not support DV7 - as this is not a 'streaming' version of DV, thus only DV5 and DV8 are supported.    DV7 is of course supported by the TV itself but only via HDMI. (UHD Blu-Ray Player).

I'm going to try resetting my Television. Maybe somehow jellyfin has some leftover files on my TV that might interfere with emby. As it's a fork of emby. Just a wild guess.

I'm 100% certain it worked before with jellyfin.  And with my current  emby setup from the android app on my phone I'm able to cast to the same tv, same title without any problems whatsoever.

Edited by tuxabyte

rbjtech
1 minute ago, tuxabyte said:

I'm going to try resetting my Television. Maybe somehow jellyfin has some leftover files on my TV that might interfere with emby. As it's a fork of emby. Just a wild guess.

I'm 100% certain it worked before with jellyfin.  And with my current  emby setup from the android app on my phone I'm able to cast to the same tv, same title without any problems whatsoever.

It's possible JF played the HDR10 version ?

Alternatively, convert it to DV8(.1) then it has a much better chance of playing as DV on any 'DV' enabled device that would normally play streamed DV from the likes of NF, Prime etc

tuxabyte
16 minutes ago, rbjtech said:

It's possible JF played the HDR10 version ?

Alternatively, convert it to DV8(.1) then it has a much better chance of playing as DV on any 'DV' enabled device that would normally play streamed DV from the likes of NF, Prime etc

Jf might have played hdr version I'm not sure. Resetting didn't work. I will strip down the Dolby from now on.

RanmaCanada
2 hours ago, tuxabyte said:

Welcome to the wonderful world of proprietary codecs.  It's a mess.  I quoted the dev of the dovi Tools (used in the DVVT Tools), and then rbjtech posts the actualy Dolby documentation, so not even devs know WTF is going on in regards to Dolby stuff.  DolbyVision is a mess and will be for quite some time.

As for Jellyfin being able to play it, they do use a different build of ffmpeg than Emby does, so it's possible their build might be newer, I honestly do not know.  DV was apparently reverse engineered by ffmpeg, but at this point I don't even know if that is true.