Updated pop up keeps coming up

Nom1fan

Nom1fan

Hi, 

I have a rather old TV with Tizen and I was told the app store does not provide auto-updates anymore (which is super sad and beyond me but ok). 
I installed manually via USB to v1.7.5.
Now I keep getting a big popup message saying there's a newer version. 
Is there really a newer version after v1.7.5 ? (Where can I reliably check this myself?). And if so, should I update manually via USB again?

Thanks!

jaycedk

Pined post in this section of the forum.

• Like 1

HI, please try updating to 1.7.6 and see if that helps. Thanks.

• Like 1

Nom1fan
12 hours ago, Luke said:

HI, please try updating to 1.7.6 and see if that helps. Thanks.

OK, might take me a while to get to it since it's manual, but will do. Thanks.

• Thanks 1

FrostByte

If your Tizen TV is older than 5 years, then you're going to need to download and reload manually every 30 days.  Once a TV reaches this point Samsung will no longer accept updates from Emby.

These manually updated test builds expire 30 days from the time they were compiled and uploaded to GitHub (not the date you actually installed).  Sort of a like a timebomb which is compiled right into the app.  Which means you will need to download the newest version every month and can't just reuse the one you had before.

Approximately 2 or 3 days before the app expires it will warn you to start looking for a newer version but allow you to still use it.  This allows you time to get the newer version without stopping you from watching before.

The only other option is to stick with the last version in the store that Samsung accepted before your TV reached the 5-year point.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Nom1fan
Posted (edited)
11 hours ago, FrostByte said:

If your Tizen TV is older than 5 years, then you're going to need to download and reload manually every 30 days.  Once a TV reaches this point Samsung will no longer accept updates from Emby.

These manually updated test builds expire 30 days from the time they were compiled and uploaded to GitHub (not the date you actually installed).  Sort of a like a timebomb which is compiled right into the app.  Which means you will need to download the newest version every month and can't just reuse the one you had before.

Approximately 2 or 3 days before the app expires it will warn you to start looking for a newer version but allow you to still use it.  This allows you time to get the newer version without stopping you from watching before.

The only other option is to stick with the last version in the store that Samsung accepted before your TV reached the 5-year point.

Wow, that's horrible !! I like Emby a lot, and I updated in order to get an important feature (the subtitles offset), and probably got a lot of other improvements and bug fixes with it, but from what you're saying it's either I give all of that up or buy a new TV ! And I already bought Emby for a year! What the hell Samsung?

Edited by Nom1fan

FrostByte

If you like your current TV and want to remain up to date with Emby and don't want to update via usb every month then an external box might be the answer.  I went ahead and bought a Shield, but there are other good devices out there also.

With my Shield plugged into my soundbar it has the added advantage of being able to play HD audio and PGS subtitles without Emby server having to transcode them.

Nom1fan
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, FrostByte said:

If you like your current TV and want to remain up to date with Emby and don't want to update via usb every month then an external box might be the answer.  I went ahead and bought a Shield, but there are other good devices out there also.

With my Shield plugged into my soundbar it has the added advantage of being able to play HD audio and PGS subtitles without Emby server having to transcode them.

Thanks, in my case I am already connecting via PC, and it's the one running the Emby server. For the longest time I just ran Kodi on it, and enjoyed the HD audio advantage, but I installed Emby giving up the HD audio for increased convenience on the smart TV (Using a single remote and single point of entry for all media. Netflix, YouTube, and my local media). So instead of going for Shield I guess I might as well can run Emby on the PC that's connected to my TV, but it's a whole lot less convenient than the Smart TV app. 

Edited by Nom1fan
  • Agree 1