upgrade my NAS SYNOLOGY

yoyo77yo

yoyo77yo

Hello, I have a Synology DS 916+ nas and I would like to change it because I have 6 cameras which work with station surveillance and which takes some resources in addition to Emby. Therefore I would like to have a QNAP or SYNOLOGY brand server in order to be able to support the transcoding of emby videos without problem. I have 1500€ maximum. Thank you in advance for your advice. (if possible a recent Nas)

RanmaCanada

You'd be better off to build a new NAS out of new or older computer hardware for your Emby server, and then keep the old NAS just for your cameras.  I know power is expensive overseas, but the Synology you have will sip power while recording for the cameras.  You can easily build something "inexpensive" and far superior for your budget.  An i3 12th-14th gen will be sufficient, and it would just be a matter of getting a case that has enough HDD slots, Coolermaster N400.  This guide is geared towards Americans and uses older hardware, but you can easily substitute similar parts in the EU.