Emby Fails to Start After Restore on Truenas Scale

ZACHxAxROO

ZACHxAxROO

Hello, I am moving my Emby instance from a Ubuntu VM on proxmox to an app in Truenas Scale. The install goes fine but when I restore the configuration from recent backup of the same version of Emby Server it then fails to restart the app. I don't know how to access logs on Truenas for Emby it just gives me the info below.

Back-off restarting failed container emby in pod emby-64664d4d8d-llxb5_ix-emby(e7ab4a35-731d-4c32-8609-a81234d1116e)

This is after i restore and it goes to restart emby.

Version 4.8.3.0

I don't know what else to do. I am trying to avoid starting from scratch and redoing every setting I have.

ZACHxAxROO

Any idea how to access the log on Truenas Scale with it located in the ix-applications folder? I can't get into emby server to pull it either. Let me see if I can try to access it in the shell.

ZACHxAxROO

I guess I could run a temporary setup of storing emby's config in a different dataset that I can access to test. See what error it causes.

ZACHxAxROO
Posted (edited)

So update. If I set the data location to a folder in one of my existing datasets that I can access via SMB. It deploys after a restore. I went to go check the logs and noticed it deployed fine.

Permissions are set with the apps user which all truenas apps use by default. I do set the group to a group I created to access the media and config backups. That group has apps in it as well as one other user for access to my media. Emby deploys just fine with those permissions initially and I can access the server gui no problem. Its only when I restore the config that it fails. I do know that access to the media via my extra user is fine as I access my config backups through that same user when initially deploying the server. (I like to store the backups in a dataset that I can access so I can move them if needed)

Do you still want the log even though the test server deployed just fine?

Edited by ZACHxAxROO

ZACHxAxROO

Maybe its best to just create my own Apps dataset for all my apps so I don't run into this issue?

On 3/8/2024 at 7:04 PM, ZACHxAxROO said:

So update. If I set the data location to a folder in one of my existing datasets that I can access via SMB. It deploys after a restore. I went to go check the logs and noticed it deployed fine.

Hi, what location was that?

On 3/8/2024 at 7:12 PM, ZACHxAxROO said:

Maybe its best to just create my own Apps dataset for all my apps so I don't run into this issue?

HI, what do you mean by this?

ZACHxAxROO
Posted (edited)

So Truenas creates its own dataset called ix-applications. If I let the emby app default to storing everything there it works until I restore. I tested creating my own dataset with my own permissions and it worked fine after that. I ended up just creating my own dataset called apps for all my apps.

I don't know exactly why restoring upset it with permissions after a restore because it doesn't modify that. And the dataset locations it access's weren't any different than before the restore.

I'm using emby's built in backup and restore.

Truenas also doesn't let you modify the ix-applications permissions so I don't know how to get the old log out for reference.

Edited by ZACHxAxROO
  • Thanks 1

Baenwort
On 3/12/2024 at 9:14 PM, ZACHxAxROO said:

So Truenas creates its own dataset called ix-applications. If I let the emby app default to storing everything there it works until I restore. I tested creating my own dataset with my own permissions and it worked fine after that. I ended up just creating my own dataset called apps for all my apps.

I don't know exactly why restoring upset it with permissions after a restore because it doesn't modify that. And the dataset locations it access's weren't any different than before the restore.

I'm using emby's built in backup and restore.

Truenas also doesn't let you modify the ix-applications permissions so I don't know how to get the old log out for reference.

We might have to check with some of the Linux guys as TrueNAS Scale runs on Linux and my experience is only with FreeBSD (e.g. TrueNAS Core) as it sounds like they are doing things very differently (and more locked down) with Scale.

ZACHxAxROO
18 minutes ago, Baenwort said:

We might have to check with some of the Linux guys as TrueNAS Scale runs on Linux and my experience is only with FreeBSD (e.g. TrueNAS Core) as it sounds like they are doing things very differently (and more locked down) with Scale.

Either way it's just weird that a restore specifically triggers the issue. I would understand if it was trying to access a dataset it didn't have permissions for.

• 3 weeks later...
AmigaZoid

I've had this issue before where Emby just stayed at the "deploying" status in TrueNas.  Go to your shares in TureNas and disable your SMB shares then start Emby.  I'm not sure why this hangs it up.  I can't even get to the logs when it's like this.  I'll go look at the logs and see if I can find anything weird now that it's running again.

BTW, this may not be Emby related.  I've had this happen with other apps in TrueNas and it's the same fix.  I have not turned the shares on again since this fix today, but you can just turn the shares back on or recreate the share.

I hope this helps you get back running.

ZACHxAxROO
Posted (edited)

I am aware of the issue with the shares and apps accessing the same path/dataset. It has to do with a setting truenas has where they cannot share the same path. It can be disabled in the advanced application settings, which it was. My issue also pertained to the ix-applications folder specifically and not my shares. I setup my own apps folder and stored the configuration there while still using the same media shares and now it has worked. It did not like something about the applications folder situation. I wonder if it has to do with moving from a linux vm to truenas and the path to the configuration folder using different paths. Once restored maybe it was trying to access a path that didn't exist. But I couldn't get into it to tell it where the files were. I would tell the app where the configuration is stored but maybe internally truenas was doing something since creating my own folder fixed it?

At this point though I cannot test the exact situation anymore as I set up the separate apps folder.

Edited by ZACHxAxROO
  • Thanks 1