NVIDIA drivers

Marco3G
Go to solution Solved by Marco3G,

Marco3G

I am trying to install NVIDIA drivers.. Off of the NVIDIA homepage mind you.

The instlaler tells me that something is already installed on my ubuntu server. Do I just ignore this? Or what do I have to remove for this to work properly? And why oh why is this not adressed, at all, here?

dpkg -l | grep nvidia returns zilch.

Then again:

marco@emby:~$ sudo ubuntu-drivers list
ERROR:root:aplay command not found
nvidia-driver-525-server, (kernel modules provided by linux-modules-nvidia-525-server-generic)
nvidia-driver-535, (kernel modules provided by linux-modules-nvidia-535-generic)
nvidia-driver-418-server, (kernel modules provided by nvidia-dkms-418-server)
nvidia-driver-525, (kernel modules provided by linux-modules-nvidia-525-generic)
nvidia-driver-470, (kernel modules provided by linux-modules-nvidia-470-generic)
nvidia-driver-535-server, (kernel modules provided by linux-modules-nvidia-535-server-generic)
nvidia-driver-390, (kernel modules provided by linux-modules-nvidia-390-generic)
nvidia-driver-545, (kernel modules provided by linux-modules-nvidia-545-generic)
nvidia-driver-470-server, (kernel modules provided by linux-modules-nvidia-470-server-generic)
nvidia-driver-450-server, (kernel modules provided by linux-modules-nvidia-450-server-generic)
open-vm-tools-desktop

First I thought that's gotta be a list of drivers I COULD instsall because who would isntall several nvidia drivers in parallel... but then:

marco@emby:~$ sudo ubuntu-drivers install nvidia-driver-535-server,
ERROR:root:aplay command not found
All the available drivers are already installed.

What do I do with this?

Edited by Marco3G

Lessaj

Are you looking to have your package manager install/maintain the driver? Did you try to manually install it?

Lessaj

Also just wondering, your command has a comma at the end of it, probably from copy pasting above. What if you run it with the comma removed?

Marco3G

Huh, I didn't notice the comma.

However I wanted to not use any distribution's driver.The recommendation from Emby is to use the official NVIDIA download... however that script tells me nvidia drivers are presumably installed already by another method. For the life of me I just can't find where that's supposed to be.

At the end of the day I don't much care about the method. I just want transcoding to work. I don't think the driver not being up to date will impact that all that much on an aging Quadro P400.

Have a look at the screenshots and transcoding log, please.. .do you see anything obviously wrong?

During movie.PNG

Transcoding.PNG

ffmpeg-remux-7b4221a5-b1c4-4c55-93bd-d2f455bf548b_1.txt

• Solution
Marco3G

Hah, upon posting all that I notice the problem... the movie I used isn't transcoding... it's remuxing. Silly noob me didn't realise there was a difference.

With an actual transcode, it works. Sorry bout that. Let my shame be a lesson for future noobs to learn the difference ;).

• Like 2

Surprised you were getting a black picture though. Did you try Chrome for comparison purposes?

Marco3G

Black picture? I'm sorry, I don't understand what you mean.

darkassassin07

You misunderstand @Luke, it's a video with a mostly black scene, not a black (errored) video output.

The screenshots illustrate how playback is using purely cpu to transcode; with nothing running on the gpu. Ie no hw transcoding.

Well in this example there is no video transcoding period, right?