DLNA between synology NAS and Denon HEOS

1ksw1

1ksw1

I have Emby 4.8.3.0 installed on a Synology DS120j NAS.  Seems to be working well except HEOS doesn't find the Emby Server.  However, Emby can see the Denon AVR as one of its devices.  I can play music from EMBY to the AVR using the EMBY interface on a PC but not through HEOS.  Anyone have any luck setting up an Emby DLNA server between Synology NAS and HEOS? Denon claims HEOS is compatible with Emby and should recognize it as a server.

mattl1979
4 minutes ago, 1ksw1 said:

I have Emby 4.8.3.0 installed on a Synology DS120j NAS.  Seems to be working well except HEOS doesn't find the Emby Server.  However, Emby can see the Denon AVR as one of its devices.  I can play music from EMBY to the AVR using the EMBY interface on a PC but not through HEOS.  Anyone have any luck setting up an Emby DLNA server between Synology NAS and HEOS? Denon claims HEOS is compatible with Emby and should recognize it as a server.

I've been having similar issues with DLNA too. Some apps see it, but most don't, including Windows. Every other DLNA server I've thrown into my network, including Jellyfin, is seen by all clients, except the Emby DLNA server. Could never figure out why and unfortunately Luke was not able to track down the issue either.

Edited by mattl1979

1ksw1

I contacted Denon about this issue and sent them a log file from HEOS.  Here's their response:

It's mounted as a CIFS share and it seems to be indexing, but then it's not able to play from it.

When you encounter an error 500, it means that the server has encountered an unexpected condition or configuration problem that prevents it from fulfilling the request made by the browser or client. The HTTP status code “500 – Internal Server Error” is one of the many 5.X.X.

You may have them check their server logs to see if that gives us any clues.  It looks like we are requesting data and then get back a 500 error from the server.

I enabled DLNA log on Emby.  Is there someone that can't take a look?

hi, please attach the emby server log. Thanks.

Are you sure the dlna server is enabled in Dlna settings?

OK thanks for reporting. We'll take a look.

1ksw1

Any findings yet?  Denon is also interested to know the findings from your log review.  Thanks

5 hours ago, 1ksw1 said:

Any findings yet?  Denon is also interested to know the findings from your log review.  Thanks

Hi, nothing obvious yet. We'll have to pick up a HEOS so that we can test it ourselves. Thanks.

• 4 weeks later...

@1ksw1I've had an opportunity to test directly with a Denon speaker and the Heos software and it's working just fine with Emby Server 4.8.3.

the Heos app is able to display Emby Server Dlna content and play it to the Denon speaker. Can you please try it again? Thanks.

Additionally, just searching the community for Heos, these users are able to play with it: