Emby crash after choosing a genre to play.

markpainter

markpainter

Hi Folks. Just come to Emby from Plex, and have bought the lifetime licence.
Running it on a Synology DS218+ Nas, and just about everything works perfectly, and much faster than Plex., so I am very happy with it.
However, I have around 50,000 music tracks and it plays them perfectly if I select an album or playlist, or individual track.
But if I select  to play a genre, Emby hangs with the error message in the logs:-

System.IO.IOException: System.IO.IOException: The configured user limit (8192) on the number of inotify watches has been reached, or the operating system failed to allocate a required resource.

I am sure I have read somewhere it's a Synology or Lynux specific issue, but has anyone a suggestion for how I can overcome it please? 
I am able to log into the NAS using Putty, but am defiantly no expert in command line work!

Edited by markpainter

HI, what genre did you try to play?

markpainter

Hi Luke

It was Ska. 
FYI I have implemented the fix described elsewhere for the "System.IO.IOException: The configured user limit (8192) on the number of inotify watches has been reached" , so that is no longer a factor with this.
As a test, this morning I restarted the server and tried again in the hope that the above fix would have cured it. Sadly there was no change. 
All that happens is the circle  rotates on the screen and nothing else happens.
EMBY also becomes inaccessible from other clients and not a lot more happens.
I left it like this for 10 minutes but it didn't change.
Attempting to restart the Emby server from the NAS control panel just leaves it in a 'Shutting Down' status, so I end up having to force a restart of the NAS.

markpainter

** Update **
Tried to play another genre that only had a handful of tracks - with exactly the same results.
However, I was able to stop the server from the Synology desktop, without having to reboot the NAS.  

markpainter

Curiouser and curiouser!
Rather then mess around I completely removed the music library from Emby and started again adding a handful of albums at a time in case the Database was corrupt.
Now, if I go into the music folder everything works correctly, unless I select a genre. Then, instead of a music track of that genre, it's playing a music video of that genre instead of an audio track. 
Now, as a newbie this may be a setting somewhere that I have switched, but it's confusing the heck out of me!

Hi there, can  you please provide a specific example? Thanks.

markpainter

Hi Luke

Something is definitely amiss - it's back to crashing again when I try to play a genre.
It happily plays the audio from a selected file from within a genre, but crashes if I try to play that genre.
I have made a video of it happening here :- https://mega.nz/file/czED0YCI#VGB50n0w7VqI1xR1jHwrXa1PCjvmhnpod8yeqxRTTMo

After it does the circle as seen on the video  it gives the attached error message. 

image.png.bb560e13b74a67ea76f2137539154c2d.png

I have also attached the log file.

Log.txt

On 3/12/2024 at 6:18 AM, markpainter said:

Hi Luke

Something is definitely amiss - it's back to crashing again when I try to play a genre.
It happily plays the audio from a selected file from within a genre, but crashes if I try to play that genre.
I have made a video of it happening here :- https://mega.nz/file/czED0YCI#VGB50n0w7VqI1xR1jHwrXa1PCjvmhnpod8yeqxRTTMo

After it does the circle as seen on the video  it gives the attached error message. 

image.png.bb560e13b74a67ea76f2137539154c2d.png

I have also attached the log file.

Log.txt 76.65 kB · 0 downloads

What play button exactly did you click on?

markpainter

Hi Luke, thanks for getting back to me. 
It's the big play button that shows when you hover your mouse over the genre icon as in the screenshot. 

image.jpeg.6f38b03b66cd46e9849ad11f28cc7486.jpeg

markpainter
1 hour ago, Luke said:

OK we're looking into it. Thanks.

Oh that's great - Thank you. 

• 2 weeks later...
TheFarCyanide

Hey guys,

@markpainterThanks for submitting the information, you saved me some time! I have the same symptoms happening with my Synology.
@LukeIf there is any additional information I could provide which could be helpful, please let me know.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TheFarCyanide said:

Hey guys,

@markpainterThanks for submitting the information, you saved me some time! I have the same symptoms happening with my Synology.
@LukeIf there is any additional information I could provide which could be helpful, please let me know.

Please attach the emby server log from when the problem occurred:

Thanks.

• 2 weeks later...
markpainter
On 17/03/2024 at 19:31, Luke said:

OK we're looking into it. Thanks.

Hi Luke - have you had a chance to investigate yet? 

Hi, yes we are looking at it. Thanks.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi, can you please try updating to Emby server 4.8.4 and try again using the Emby web app? Please let us know how things compare. Thanks.

markpainter

Sadly I have already moved onto beta 4.9.xx. (To see ig that had fixed the issues) 
Tried to put 8.4 back on and it said I couldn't downgrade, so I uninstalled the Beta and installed 8.4 again.
However Emby won't start after doing that. It starts up and then stops.
If I manually start it up again it does the same - starts then stop.  
So I put 4.9.0.14 back on and it's all running again. 

Tried the play genre again using the web version of the player and there is no difference - it still crashes everything. 
Will try to install 8.4 again shortly, and will let you know if it will run this time.  

markpainter
Posted (edited)

Tried to install 8.4 again, and it ran this time. But although all the media showed up, it appeared to have no access to the files themselves.
Even if I tried to re-add them it said it had no access. (Although nothing had changed on the Synology permissions)

Gone back to 4.9.0.14 and all is ok again - except the 'Play Genre' which still crashes the system. 

Edited by markpainter
Error in version number

OK yes you can't roll back from 4.9 to 4.8 due to database changes in 4.9. Once 4.9 goes stable, then you can switch back to the stable channel at that time. Thanks.