Anyone know of a good way to alphabetize an XML EPG file for mapping?

currentsitguy

currentsitguy

So I've got an M3U file with maybe 30 or so channels. I did a lot of digging and found an XML file for an EPG that seems to have most of the channels in it. The problem is twofold. When I go in to map the channels to the guide I find that the dropdown is both not in alphabetical order and there are about 1600 channels in the dropdown. It's makes it impossible for me to locate the correct channel to map to.

Is there any practical way to sort the listings in the XML in alphabetical order?

Edited by currentsitguy
Fat fingers typing

Hi, are they displayed in the order they appear in the m3u?

currentsitguy
16 minutes ago, Luke said:

Hi, are they displayed in the order they appear in the m3u?

Not even close. To be fair, I put the m3u together myself from a few different sources. The XML file comes from the epg_ripper source. It has a ton of listings, but they are in no particular order.

By just scrolling up and down I found a few channels at the cost of my eyes threatening to fall out. When you actually manage to map a channel the guide data seems to be correct, it's just miserable going through all of these one line at a time to find the right channel and it possibly not even being there, or thinking you may have missed it.

• Like 1

fridgefins
On 3/6/2024 at 10:56 PM, currentsitguy said:

Not even close. To be fair, I put the m3u together myself from a few different sources. The XML file comes from the epg_ripper source. It has a ton of listings, but they are in no particular order.

By just scrolling up and down I found a few channels at the cost of my eyes threatening to fall out. When you actually manage to map a channel the guide data seems to be correct, it's just miserable going through all of these one line at a time to find the right channel and it possibly not even being there, or thinking you may have missed it.

seconded - ive found ways to mitigate this suffering like using zap2it listings set to the same provider as the emby guide data in question to search and find channel numbers.  Sometimes you get lucky keying in the first letter of the channel youre looking for.  Id really love an option like the [United Kingdom (extended) (National)] for the US and Canada, so helpful to have a pile of most all the unique channels in a country in alphabetical order.

We'll look at improving this. Thanks for the feedback.