How good is support?

Marco3G

Marco3G

Hi everyone

First this isn't my original user but the website absolutely refused to send me a password reset email. It did inform me that my account got locked but resetting the password was a no-go. There also doesn't seem to be a contact email on the website, which I find disheartening.

Which kinda brings me to my question. I have been using Jellyfin for several years now, and when you get used to the lack of obvious function, when it works, it works well enough. When it doesn't is where you start investing tons of time because there's a good chance you'll brick your installation and then have to redo all metadata edits again. No backup and restore possible.

I was on Plex before but even as a paying customer they just don't give a rat's ass about your needs.

Under support, I see no professional support listed on this website either. So my question to current users (not admins or mods. Your opinion carries no weight in this) is how good is Emby support? Will I be completely at the mercy of some community members taking an interest in me or will have the security of someone knowledgeable and if necessary a company representative with actual deeper knowledge of the product assisting me?

I am getting real tired with hobbyist OSS projects at this point and I am unwilling to pay money just to get the same treatment here.

Hello Marco3G,

** This is an auto reply **

Please wait for someone from staff support or our members to reply to you.

It's recommended to provide more info, as it explain in this thread:

Thank you.

Emby Team

pwhodges

Welcome to the community.

This forum is the official place for support.  The main developers of Emby are here, and take an interest in your problems.  Some things get fixed promptly, and others take time - obviously the more information you provide the easier it is (see the link at the top of the forum), and providing the server logs from the time a problem occurred is very important (just link the whole log - extracting parts loses the context which the developers need).  The process is not one-on-one - you will find other people piling in as well, either to complain about the same issue, or to help you fix it when out of the developers' time zone.

No money is paid specifically for support; either you pay a tiny amount to unlock some clients (the web client is always free), or you pay a Premiere subscription which gives access to additional facilities, such as free use of any client, access to live TV (OTA or IPTV), hardware support for transcoding, etc.  Even if you are using Emby for free, the support is the same.  As with any setup, you will find people praising the support, and others complaining about it; your experience will be your own, not just theirs.

Paul

Marco3G

So in short, there IS actual support? That is more than I can in, good conscience, say about either Plex or Jellyfin.

Dreakon13

Just my two cents and it's gonna sound like they're paying me, but I think Emby's support is phenomenal.  Especially compared to the other guys... at least Plex, who I don't think ever once actually answered me on their official forums.

Almost everything I've asked on the forums here has gotten an answer, and most issues I've posted about (even some complex ones that required months of back and forth) have gotten fixes.  YMMV of course depending on the questions/issues and how well you cooperate with the team as they request info, but as much as I like and use the software daily, the support and interaction is a big reason I want to see Emby succeed and invest in the software as a customer.

Edited by Dreakon13
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

Marco3G

Thank you, that gives me hope.
I have just isntalled emby on a VM and I am excited to see what it can do. It's obvious that Jellyfin forked from Emby at some point but this seems to be a much more polished product and I'm saying that after a mere half an hour...

Dreakon13

I don't really know the full extent of the team... sometimes its hard to tell who's an actual Emby developer, who's like a plugin developer, who's just a more prominent community member, etc.  They'll all typically come out to help.  But one thing I know for sure is @Lukeis one of the head guys and an absolute monster on support.  He's in on almost every thread that gets made, and has personally helped me and pushed fixes out to the software on a number of occasions.  Being on the beta track helps to see/test changes quickly if you're comfortable with that sort of thing.

Just to clarify that the actual Emby team is heavily involved in support, not just other community members.

• Thanks 1

skidmarks

I've been with EMBY before it was EMBY...  I used PLEX off and on over those years.  You will not find a better community or team of developers than right here.  You have come to the right place for support and any problems you might encounter are addressed in a timely manner.  All the development team are in here.  It's not like the other experiences you have had along the way. 

Welcome In!  You will enjoy the change... 

Marco3G

To be frank, the library scan is already not working the way I would want so maybe I'll open my first real call for support already :D.

But it's good to hear. While I am an IT pro and do have a homelab in which I sometimes tinker, my mediaserver is something I and the family use to relax and wind-down which does not work all too well when something inexplicably breaks every few weeks. This is something I want to "just work".

Now since that is naive to expect, at the very least I don't want to feel like I'm on my own fixing it. I think I'll start with a monthly membership and if it works out for a month, I'll buy lifetime.

Although with my luck the moment I do, the project gets sold to Oracle or Broadcom :D

rbjtech
38 minutes ago, Marco3G said:

To be frank, the library scan is already not working the way I would want so maybe I'll open my first real call for support already :D.

That is the best way to test the support - if you follow the guidelines on how to report a problem (link at the top of the page or here) which as a IT Pro you should be familiar with ;), then I'm sure it will get quickly answered for you. 👍

Marco3G

Familiar, absolutely but I will admit I too sometimes get lazy ;).

adminExitium
1 hour ago, Marco3G said:

inexplicably breaks

For everything critical, I generally tend to maintain my own backups irrespective of how much the software claims to have automated backups or not. In Linux, it takes only a few seconds to take a full filesystem snapshot which can be exported elsewhere and easily restored later in case of any issues.

Marco3G

I have Veeam backups. The problem is even from restores, Jellyfin keeps acting up and after getting no further on their forum, being sent to GitHub and back, what is there left to do? Reinstall most likely. And in that case, an application backup that could be reapplied would be very helpful.

pwhodges
1 hour ago, Marco3G said:

I have a couple of comments, but I'll wait until I see a topic which explains the specific problem.

Paul

Marco3G

If you mean you want to see the support thread, here it is:

pwhodges

Ah - I don't generally check the Linux parts of the forum, being a Windows man (I ran many large Windows servers commercially during my career as a system manager), and to limit my forum reading to the time I can reasonably give it.

Paul

Marco3G

Totally understandable. I myself am in storage, virtualization and compute these days but linux kinda comes with the territory to a certain degree. It seems less of a headache to me in a homelab, especially since many cool tools that are interesting for home use usually prefer linux or freebsd. What I can tell you is I totally get it... I'm getting too old for the amount of UIs I have to wrap my head around on any given day ;)