Moving media between library locations.

pgriffith

pgriffith

Hi all

I have to move a lot of Movies and TV Shows between already existing library locations due to space restrictions (added a new larger drive etc), and aligning content with another location I am going to sync my libraries with, so folder contents need to have the same content in them.

I have done this in the past (some time ago now) and a lot movies (not all though) were scanned in after being moved as new content and had their date added metadata changed, stangely the date added data in the NFO file for the movie was still showing the older date. Manually editing the metadata in Emby puts it back where it should be in the timeline, but manually doing this for many hundreds of movies is just not practical, does Emby not read the date from the NFO file? I sort my movie library by date added and so do other users, this really wrecks that being able to be done.

TV series get added as new shows getting added to Latest TV series on the home page. This isn't an as annoying a problem as they quickly get moved off the home page as new episodes roll in.

It's the movies I mainly want to address, is there a way to move movies between library locations without any changes being made to their date-added metadata?

does Emby not read the date from the NFO file?

Hi, yes, date added is read from nfo files.

pgriffith

The last time I moved some movies, that was not the case. The NFO contained the date it was originally added (years ago) but Emby insisted the added date was the day I moved them. Many library scans/restarts did not change this. This was recently on one of the new 4.8.x series of server builds. The only way I could get them back where they should be in the library (date-wise) was to open the NFO, take note of the date and then change it in Emby from the Edit Metadata option from the 3 dots menu.

This behaviour is not consistent, it's not every movie I moved only some of them. I shut the server down before I moved them and restarted it after.

I was consolidating 3 drives into one (Media1, 2 & 3). Cloned media 1 to the new drive, Emby unaware anything had happened. Then I moved content from Media 2 & 3.

OK well we’d have to look at a specific example, but yes the added value in nfo is supported.

pgriffith

Does a library scan read the NFO of every movie, if not is there a way to force a re-read?

When the date modified timestamp of the nfo file changes, then the next library scan will pick up the changes.