Video's will not play on chromecast app with home wifi

hotzy19

hotzy19

Hopefully, someone can help me shed light on this issue. I am having some trouble streaming movies from my Emby server to my Google Chromecast using the Emby app. I believe it's related to the internet connection, but I can't make sense of it.

Here is my setup:

Location 1: I have an Emby Server running on Windows, with a stock install and no premium subscription.

Location 2: I have a Google Chromecast with Google TV connected to Wi-Fi. I have the Emby app installed and have paid to unlock the features for streaming content from the server at location 1. Movies and TV shows stream without any problems here.

Location 3: I have another Google Chromecast with Google TV connected to Wi-Fi. I have the Emby app installed and have paid to unlock the features for streaming content from the server at location 1. However, I cannot get the Emby app at this location to play videos on the house Wi-Fi. The server loads up, and I can view all available content, but when I press play, the video never loads. If I switch the Wi-Fi that the Chromecast is connected to, to my phone's mobile hotspot, the content can be played without a problem. Initially, this makes me think there is a bandwidth problem. However, when I use my laptop connected to the house Wi-Fi via a web browser, the videos load without a problem. Why is the app on the Chromecast having playback issues on the house Wi-Fi when the laptop has none?

I should also mention that the server and both Chromecast devices are at different locations, and I have port forwarding set up for streaming over the internet.

Log sent via Emby app at: UTC-5 4:23 05/03/2024

Emby user: hotzy19

Emby server ver. 4.8.3.0

Hi.  The call to get playback info is timing out.  The fact only that call and not general browsing is timing out makes me suspect some sort of security software on the network or router that may be blocking it.

Hi, can you please attach the Emby server log as well? Thanks.

hotzy19

Hi, Thanks for the response. Here is the log file. There is also hardware detection log and ffmpeg log also available from the emby server, should i post that as well?. I also tried to put the chromecast at location 3 under a DMZ on my router to see if that would resolve the issue without success. I also believe that the internet connection at location 3 is under a CGNAT provided by the ISP. Not sure if that is a factor in the issue I'm experiencing. 

embyserver-63845280000.txt

• 2 weeks later...

@hotzy19are you still having an issue with this? Can you please try it again? Thanks.

• 4 weeks later...
hotzy19

Unfortunately I'm experiencing the same issue's. Still find it Strange that i can browse and play movies just fine through the web portal on the same WI-FI, but can only browse and not play through the google tv (Chromecast) app. Is the ISP blocking that particular traffic via a different port or deep packet inspection? Unfortunately I don't have enough knowledge in this area.