Use the API, Luke said...

jhyler

jhyler

In response to another post, Luke told me that I ought to use the API for something I wanted to do. I was hesitant, for I've had experience in the past of things like this not being as simple as suggested - documentation gets stale, developers learn what works and don't always fix things that don't, but I thought I'd trust Luke and give it a shot.  Browsing around in the user support pages, I finally found a pointer to the developer documentation, and there I found a page that told me all I had to do to get started with the API was to go to the bottom of the dashboard and look for an "API" link. Just find it and click it.  Sure enough, I found it right where promised.  I clicked on it and got this:

image.png.95f869fc6d2a06327e2efce5724dfde9.png

I don't know if there was bad/old info in the Wiki, a bug in the server, or what.  But so far I have to tell you that my hesitancy in using the API is growing. 

Anybody know what happened?

Edited by jhyler

jhyler

Yup, that post describes what happened to me too.  I'm not sure what to do about "Insecure Content" -> Allow.  My browser is Brave - an offshoot of Chrome which is serious about security. If that's the issue, I'm SOL.  Unless there is another way to get at the API.

Happy2Play

Sounds like the same as changing it this way, go to brave://flags/ but both methods worked in Brave for me.

otherwise requires localhost or https.

jhyler
Posted (edited)

I can use #unsafely-treat-insecure-origin-as-secure to work around this, but I set up a sandbox in which to try it and wouldn't do so outside it.

I hope this doesn't mean that the use of the API is inherently insecure?  Once I've figured out exactly what I want to do with the API I'll need it to work in a secure enviroment.

EDIT: Forgive my stupidity, obviously the API can function securely or Emby wouldn't be working for me in the first place.  So I will be playing in my sandbox to get the feel for the API and how to do what I want to do with it.  Where can I learn how to take what I learn from the sandbox and plug it securely into my code?

Edited by jhyler

HI, what you can do is setup https for your server and then require that if that's what you wish to do.