Missing Episode Detection

jhyler

jhyler

It might sound unintuitive, but one of the most important uses of my Emby library is to keep me informed as to the episodes of TV Series that I do NOT have.  To that end I have a set of scripts that periodically pull information out of the Emby database and keep me up-to-date on episodes that are missing from my collection.  This is helpful in a couple of ways - I get notification of when new episodes of ongoing series have become available, and it keeps me current on episodes I should be looking for when I interact with other collectors.

As of 3.8, my scripts no longer work. A little research shows the Emby database has changed, no doubt associated with the change that missing episodes are no longer shown in the season listings but only via the context menus.  I'm not complaining, I completely understand the schemas are subject to change and my use of them is at my own risk.  But since the information is still available via the GUI (just a different way), I am hoping the missing episode information is still in the database somewhere, and that someone can point me in the right direction towards finding it.

I suppose it's possible that the new mechanism to display missing episodes is a scrape-on-demand kind of thing. I hope not. I've always liked how Emby has tried to be lightweight with the providers and not done more scraping than necessary. 

Can anyone point me in the right direction here?  Thanks.

(To those of you who are about to bring up the Reports plugin - thanks, but no. I have always - no offense meant - found the thing cumbersome and somewhat buggy, not to mention it needs to be manually run.  Also not to mention that it only provides a static picture, it can't tell me that an episode is now missing that wasn't missing before - i.e., a new episode has come out.)

Edited by jhyler

GrimReaper
18 minutes ago, jhyler said:

I suppose it's possible that the new mechanism to display missing episodes is a scrape-on-demand kind of thing. I hope not. 

It is on-demand query now. 

18 minutes ago, jhyler said:

To those of you who are about to bring up the Reports plugin - thanks, but no.

That functionality in Reports plugin is not working any more as missing episodes are no longer in the db. 

Edited by GrimReaper

jhyler

Thanks, GrimReaper, I appreciate the quick reply. Though it's sad news for me.

I am presently restoring a backup to get me back to my previous version. (I tend to be skeptical about reinstalling older versions on top of newer ones when databases are involved). That will put me back in business while I debate whether I want to include scraping in my scripts or switch to the other guys and see how long my luck might hold there.

Cheers!

What was in the reports plugin before is now available in the Metadata Manager. There is a missing episodes section there.

Why not have your scripts use the api instead of the database?

Happy2Play
21 minutes ago, Luke said:

What was in the reports plugin before is now available in the Metadata Manager. There is a missing episodes section there.

Just need to be able to export it now

Edited by Happy2Play
  • Thanks 1

jhyler
Posted (edited)

Luke,

29 minutes ago, Luke said:

Which, unless the medadata manager is doing on-the-fly scraping, which I really hope it would not do, means the info is out in the database somewhere.  That was my question. If it's out there I'd love to know where. (It is easy to infer, if you have s1e3 but not s1e2, that s1e2 exists and is missing.  But you can't infer that if the last episode you have is s1e10, whether s1e11 is missing or non-existant.  Same for s2e1).

28 minutes ago, Luke said:

Why not have your scripts use the api instead of the database?

Well, it's not flattering to me to say so, but it's because at the time I was (and pretty much still am) lazy.  I know SQL fairly well, I didn't (and don't) know the API. It's not just that I'm unwilling to learn, but you might be surprised at the number of community-run projects where I've put effort into obtaining documentation and learning how something works, find out that it doesn't work that way, and later get told "yeah, the documentation is old, we haven't kept it up for a while" or "you are working an edge case, we don't really think what you are tryng to do needs to work".  I am NOT saying that about Emby, Luke, but I admit  I have gotten kind of gun-shy about it as a general rule. That contributes to my "laziness".

But if you are telling me that (a) you have faith in the completeness and correctness of the API documentation, and (b) the data I want is out there if I am willing to make the effort,  I'm willing to give it a shot.

I appreciate your involving yourself here.  Thanks.

Edited by jhyler

It is on the fly, with some caching to speed up subsequent requests. So no, not in the database. The best way is really the api.

/shows/missing

You can use parentId to scope it to a library.

• Like 1