Shuffle a Genre Doesn't Work

HFBoroni

HFBoroni

So I was in the "Shuffle All issue" post on the forums, but I was in the "Android TV / Fire TV" section. I found it with a search and didn't pay much attention after that. Once that solution was posted, I thought my identical issue with my Samsung TV was resolved... BURMP! I was told I needed to post in this, the Samsung TV section. So here we go...

I just re-tested the problem. In a nutshell, doing a "Shuffle" within a Genre is all over the map. Right now, I picked my "R&B & Soul" genre (Yes, one I named uniquely for my own use). I shuffled that genre. The first 3 songs? "Hot Blooded" by Foreigner (genre: "Classic Rock"), "Keep on Lovin' Her" by Jeff Lorber ("Jazz"), and "I'll Make Love To You" by Richard Elliott ("Smooth Jazz"). Clearly, something about the "shuffle" in a genre is broken.

HI there, what version of Emby Server are you on? What version of Emby for Samsung?

HFBoroni

The server is on my Windows 10 Home laptop, version 4.8.3.0. And Emby for Samsung 1.2.6.

FYI, I switched last night to using "Instant Mix" and I'm not so sure that's working as designed. I chose some older pop/rock artist and first songs were Christmas.

HFBoroni

I get my Samsung apps from the app store. Right now it says 1.2.6 is the latest version and I'm on it. I went to the web page to install via USB and it appears all the older versions (the most current is 10 years old?) aren't applicable to my 3-year-old TV.

Thanks for looking into it! As a retired Software Engineer, I know how much "fun" this debugging can be.

Hi, the tizen usb install can be used with your tv.

HFBoroni

Okay, tizen USB installed. Genre shuffle still not working. I picked one genre, shuffled it, and got songs from all over the map.

7 hours ago, HFBoroni said:

Okay, tizen USB installed. Genre shuffle still not working. I picked one genre, shuffled it, and got songs from all over the map.

Hi there, what version number did you install?

HFBoroni

Emby for Samsung 1.7.6.

Interesting, minor difference, the word "MediaServer" (my name for the music server on my Windows laptop) is surrounded by a green background in the old version 1.2.6; in the new version, 1.7.6, it's surrounded by a white background. (Odd, but that way I can then tell if I'm on the old vs. new version.)

Anyway, when I click on a genre and choose "Shuffle" it is definitely not sticking with that one genre. In my latest test, not even the first song was in the same genre.

Then I thought, "I'll create a playlist from my entire Blue-Eyed Soul genre, cleverly call it "Blue-Eyed Soul". When I clicked "Create" it went round and round and never completed. I thought it froze (see below), so I restarted the server and re-started the app on my TV. Now there's a new option: "Playlists". I chose that and it was empty. I re-did the creation of a Playlist with all the songs in the Blue-Eyed Soul genre (222 songs). As my TV whirled and twirled (doing the "Create" playlist), I checked Task Manager on my laptop -- it was using a lot of CPU. When that went to almost zero, I saw my TV was back. So, I checked my new genre (it had been created!). But instead of 222 songs it had 1,709 tracks!

It just seems when I pick a "Genre" it does not have the right guardrails on just that genre. So, when I shuffle the genre, it's really shuffling a whole bunch of songs. Same with picking a genre and trying to create a playlist -- no limit (by genre), instead, a lot of songs. I did see that a lot (most? all?) of the genre's songs WERE in the new playlist, but I can't figure out how to verify they all (222) were in it.

Hope this helps.

Interesting, minor difference, the word "MediaServer" (my name for the music server on my Windows laptop) is surrounded by a green background in the old version 1.2.6; in the new version, 1.7.6, it's surrounded by a white background. (Odd, but that way I can then tell if I'm on the old vs. new version.)

Hi, it's hard to visualize this. Can you show a screenshot example? Thanks.

HFBoroni

The background thing is a bit of a red herring (er, "green" herring)! It's more of a curiosity, not an "issue". I can't show the difference unless I uninstalled the 1.7.6 tizen version on my Samsung TV and re-installed the 1.2.6 one. So, I made up a JPEG that simply points out a difference I noticed. Namely, when I make a selection on the main screen between "MediaServer", "Playlists" or "TV Shows", the 1.7.6 version that I now have installed shows my choice with a white border; in the 1.2.6 version, the selection would be green instead. image.jpeg.f7b593cfcfd6c391555341dc0adad8ff.jpeg 

13 hours ago, HFBoroni said:

The background thing is a bit of a red herring (er, "green" herring)! It's more of a curiosity, not an "issue". I can't show the difference unless I uninstalled the 1.7.6 tizen version on my Samsung TV and re-installed the 1.2.6 one. So, I made up a JPEG that simply points out a difference I noticed. Namely, when I make a selection on the main screen between "MediaServer", "Playlists" or "TV Shows", the 1.7.6 version that I now have installed shows my choice with a white border; in the 1.2.6 version, the selection would be green instead. image.jpeg.f7b593cfcfd6c391555341dc0adad8ff.jpeg 

Right OK. The color change is just our newer design.

• 3 weeks later...
HFBoroni

Any update? This seems to have gone into a black hole. (No worries; I assume you have more pressing issues!) 

HI, we are looking into the genre shuffle issue. Thanks.

HFBoroni

@Luke I am also watching the other thread on this, under Google TV I believe. (https://emby.media/community/index.php?/topic/126643-shuffle-all-issue/) @ebr appears to be the analyst on that. I'm travelling in the insanity of Texas eclipse land right now without my laptop where my server (v4.8.3 IIRC) is located, so I can't attach logs or the like.

Everything seems to point to a server issue, not client. My additional info for debugging, I also use multiple genres (like "Rock; Pop"), but out of 20K+ MP3s, I'd say less than 2-3% have more than one genre. The genre shuffle is not tied to those exclusively.

Cheers!

• Thanks 1