FR - Remove 'Various Artists' as candidate for image provider

ginjaninja

ginjaninja

Not the biggest issue but perhaps not too difficult to improve?.

The genre images are peppered with 'low value' "various artists" image. Could this candidate be removed from image generation. 

image.thumb.png.d9aac761970a3c4eabd4af9cbfa05347.png

image.png.62c01ef454c019526a18f7abc31c740d.png

MBSki

So you don't want any image for various artists?

ginjaninja
9 hours ago, MBSki said:

So you don't want any image for various artists?

to clarify i am requesting "various artists" image isnt included in automatically generated [genre] images. Its too bland/low information and has too heavy a weighting....(~80% of my genre images include "various artists" image)

• Like 1

Happy2Play

Quess the question is what is the criteria for genre images?

Shouldn't albums outweight Artists?

ginjaninja
Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Happy2Play said:

Quess the question is what is the criteria for genre images?

I wonder if there is any chance of a consensus on this. My vote would be albums weight higher than artists.

From a data perspective - On the basis that an Album more often than not falls into one genre and an Artist will more often than an album fall into multiple genres, then  perhaps Albums should weight higher than Artists.

From a consistency perspective - Film and TV Genres are based on Movies and Shows not actors.

From a hearts and minds perspective - one can imagine some people having more affinity to artist images than album images...and vice versa...

At the risk of derailing the request...even more important than Artist vs Albums (although 1 needs to come before the other in any case - only mix as a last resort), could candidate weighting be based on

• Played Count
  • Favourites

So Genre images are as familiar as possible.

definitely not enough important to worry about it seems 🙂

Edited by ginjaninja

user24

I can understand the annoyance of all those Various Artists images diluting the pictorial differentiation between Genres. I also noticed that Playlist images are used (in my library) for the auto-generated Genre quadrant composites. This also has the potential to cause the same type of OP issue. Therefore any new changes should consider this as well, along with any other non Artist | Album images.

I have no personal preference with this at all though, because anywhere in the music categories/views that Emby uses composite images (e.g. Genres, Tags, Playlists, etc.) I create my own custom images and prefer to use those instead, as a quick way to navigate my largish library. Perhaps many others may do the same? I only want to see People images when looking directly at Album Artists | Artist | Composers and Cover images when looking directly at Albums | Songs.

3 hours ago, Happy2Play said:

This question almost takes us back to the reason for having the new Genre views in the first place, as every individual has their own heart and mind!!!

Edited by user24