No Emby 4.8.3.0 for Freebsd12?

cgcmgr

cgcmgr

Hello,

I have two Emby servers.  One is based on TrueNAS Core 12 and the EmbyJail is 12.3-RELEASE-p12.  The other is based on TrueNAS Core 13, 13.1-RELEASE-p9 is the Jail.  I see there is an Emby update to 4.8.3.0 for the 13.1 Jail , but nothing available for the 12.3 Jail.  Has Emby stopped supporting TrueNAS Core 12?

I do not see any reference to freebsd12 here at all - https://github.com/MediaBrowser/Emby.Releases/releases

Thanks,

Chris

Baenwort

TrueNAS Core 12 is based on FreeBSD 12 which has reached EOL: https://www.freebsd.org/releases/ 

TrueNAS Core 12 is also not on the supported list any longer: https://www.truenas.com/software-status/ which can be implied to be EOL.

I think Emby only develops for currently supported OS versions to keep their support requirements down.

When this came up last time I did have success for a couple versions to manually use the next version up's Emby release until I found time to update my base OS.

Edited by Baenwort

cgcmgr

Thanks for your reply.

I just updated Emby on both my 12.3 Jail and my 13.1 Jail to 4.8.1.0 on February 23rd and the 4.8.1.0 update was available for FreeBSD 12.  I guess it was time and no further development is being done.  Oh well.  My goal was to get the Emby server on the 13.1 Jail to completely mimic the one on the 12.3 Jail and then delete the one on the 12.3 Jail.  Well, it mimics it completely now, so I guess I can delete it.

Chris

cgcmgr

I guess so.  Can you confirm that there is no longer any Emby support for Freebsd12?

On 3/6/2024 at 5:39 PM, cgcmgr said:

I guess so.  Can you confirm that there is no longer any Emby support for Freebsd12?

12 is end of life and not even receiving security updates anymore. We recommend updating to at least 13.

cgcmgr

Thanks Luke. 

I already have an Emby server running on Truenas 13 Core.  I had installed a fresh install of Core 13 and imported my Pool that was created in Core 12.  So, the Emby server that got imported is based on Jail 12.3.  I also created a new Emby server based on Jail 13.1.  Would I be able to update Emby 4.8.1.0 on the 12.3 Jail to 4.8.3.0 using the Freebsd13 Emby update even though the jail is 12.3?  Or is it just time for me to retire that server?

Chris

Baenwort
On 3/11/2024 at 6:37 AM, cgcmgr said:

Thanks Luke. 

I already have an Emby server running on Truenas 13 Core.  I had installed a fresh install of Core 13 and imported my Pool that was created in Core 12.  So, the Emby server that got imported is based on Jail 12.3.  I also created a new Emby server based on Jail 13.1.  Would I be able to update Emby 4.8.1.0 on the 12.3 Jail to 4.8.3.0 using the Freebsd13 Emby update even though the jail is 12.3?  Or is it just time for me to retire that server?

Chris

You have two options as I see it.

1) You can attempt to use iocage upgrade: https://www.truenas.com/community/threads/how-to-update-upgrade-true-freenas-jails-updated.96640/ to upgrade your existing jail (snapshot first incase this falls on it's face) to 13.2 or 13.3 (I've done this several times, it often works) then go into that Jail console, add all the dependences and update packages before upgrading Emby-Server. 

2) You can create a backup of your current Emby via the Emby backup plug in. Create a new 13 jail and install Emby per the install instructions(you may wish to force the older FreeBSD13 version that matches your current jail to maximize the Emby Backup plugin compatibility) then restore that Emby Backup plugin backup. Then upgrade to the newest version of Emby.

Edited by Baenwort

FreeBSD is the hardest platform for us to support, and puts a very demanding workload on our build and packaging developer. We have to have unique environments for every version we support, and it's just a lot. So yes I gave the OK to drop 12 as there's two newer versions available now.

cgcmgr

Thanks guys, and I understand stopping the development of Emby for Freebsd12.  It had to happen some time.  As for upgrading my jail form 12.3 to 13.2, I've tried that n the past and just had errors.  I can always try again.  I mean it's not really a big deal as I already have the newest version of Emby on a 13.2 Jail and it is pretty much an exact copy of the Emby on the 12.3 Jail.  I'll mess around with it and see what I can do.  If all else fails, I can just create a backup of the 13.2 Emby server Jail and restore it to a new 13 Jail.

Thanks for all responses and help.

Chris

• Thanks 1

Please let us know how it goes. Thanks.