Random Fun Facts idea - maybe more of a plugin idea for someone?

Zander3768

Zander3768

I think this might be more of a plugin idea than a full emby server feature idea but I don't know. I cannot code for the life of me, so I am just posting this in case someone wants to make it.

I have no clue if it would be possible or how it would even work, but I thought it would be neat for a feature if there was some way to show random "fun facts" about a movie while watching it using the notifications feature. (see image)

FunFact_Example.png.0704a0dc615c17976f6f2bbecd6d1360.png

Maybe the server admin could drop a .txt file formatted a specific way into the movie folder and a random timer or something could pull randomized data from the .txt file? It could go a step further and have a time stamp to display the fact at a specific time in the movie. Idk if that goes beyond the scope of what plugins can do though.

A user-side toggle would be nice too but I'm sure that would be well beyond the scope of plugins. So maybe, eventually it could be an integrated emby feature?

I was just thinking and didn't want to waste an idea in case someone in the community can build off it.

It doesn't look like anyone else posted anything like it.

RaptorCentauri

This could be a fun plug-in. I don't think it would be necessary to have it be an integrated features. It would really just  need to be a subtitle file with trivia. 

• Like 2

rbjtech

It's a nice idea, similiar to the 'X-Ray' on Prime for example.   The API allows you to send a message to any client and it's trivial to read from a .txt file - but the main blocker here is who is going to put the 'facts' together ?   

• Like 1

crusher11

This is just a trivia subtitle track with extra steps.

• Like 1

Yeah, I would think subtitles would be the best way to do this.  In fact, it could be done right now without a single line of code needing to be written.  Just create a subtitle file with the "facts".

• Agree 1

Zander3768
10 hours ago, rbjtech said:

"but the main blocker here is who is going to put the 'facts' together ?   "

@rbjtech That's a good point, It would have to be someone with a lot of time on their hands. 😅

I know if I was to do it for my own stuff, it would only be a few of the really popular films.

Using the subtitles idea is a good idea. I wasn't thinking about those but your right, that has the timestamps functionality and all. 🙂