Linux Mint VM can see SMB shares but will not Scan Library Files

grnerd2021
Go to solution Solved by grnerd2021,

grnerd2021

I apologize in advance for my noobiness. I have created a VM, installed Mint, installed Emby Server, shared my medial folders from the host machine, can see them in the VM, added them to the new Emby server, but can't get them to scan.

I am not very familiar with Linux, so I am sure I have done something wrong in setting up the shares. Can anyone help me figure it out?

SMB.PNG

richt

One question you need to resolve is if the emby user (account created when emby was installed and) can read and write to the folders.  Luke requested the logs and that will help him determine if the error is there or someplace else in the process.

If it is a folder access issue, one solution is to make the emby account owner of the folders and files.  Another is to give read / write access to everyone.

grnerd2021
Posted (edited)

I set up the shares on the host as read/right for everyone originally. I could not access them at that point, so I found another article that said to create a local user on the host machine called smbuser, and gave that account read/write to the folders. At that point I was able to open the share with file manager in the VM. I know that I can read and write to the folders because I moved this log file into one of them and it copied fine to the host.

Here is the log file. I have not looked at it yet, but thought I would post it anyway in case you can spot the problem before I do.

embyserver.txt

embyserver(1).txt

Edited by grnerd2021
The second file is one I did after clicking scan library files, so you can see what is happening at the bottom.

grnerd2021
1 hour ago, richt said:

One question you need to resolve is if the emby user (account created when emby was installed and) can read and write to the folders.  Luke requested the logs and that will help him determine if the error is there or someplace else in the process.

If it is a folder access issue, one solution is to make the emby account owner of the folders and files.  Another is to give read / write access to everyone.

Added the emby user like you suggested, restarted, removed the libraries, and tried again. I am still getting a denied error.

System.UnauthorizedAccessException: System.UnauthorizedAccessException: Access to the path '/media/sf_Movies' is denied.

grnerd2021

Here is what the permissions on the share in the VM look like. On a whim, I added a user called root, but no change.

permissions.PNG

n8tie

I use samba here and also had some trouble in the beginning.

i have...

samba server:

user emby (id 2000)

group emby (id 3000)

with user password.

emby server:

user emby (id 2000)

group emby (id 3000)

mounted via fstab:

//192.168.107.7/Media/   /mnt/media      cifs    vers=3.0,iocharset=utf8,username=emby,password=embypass,_netdev,uid=2000,gid=3000,cache=none,file_mode=0664,dir_mode=0755  0     0

this runs fine. just needs some playing with https://www.cyberciti.biz/faq/linux-change-user-group-uid-gid-for-all-owned-files/ two times chown -R emby:emby /dirs and it should run.

grnerd2021

Thanks n8tie, but I have no idea what any of that means :) This is my first foray into the Linux world, and I will do my best to try and figure it out. 

Are you saying that in Linux, I need to give the Emby server rights to those folders? I don't seem to be able to change the permissions there, see the screenshot above. 

• Solution
grnerd2021

Well, I didn't officially figure out the permissions thing, but I made a new user in Emby that matches my Linux user, and it works now. Thanks for all of your help!

• Thanks 1