Mixed content library no longer displaying correctly

joetoml1n

joetoml1n

I have a few mixed content libraries. Some are working well (for example, my MCU one that contains the films and TV series), and one that used to work flawlessly, but has just started displaying incorrectly. The movies show as folders, when previously they just used to show as movies. Example below or my working library (MCU) and no longer working library (Children's). As far as I can tell the settings for both libraries are the same, I've been through to check and the folder structure for the children's library is also Library Root\File Name (Year)\Film.mkv

It used to be fine and I've been on the beta channel for as long as I can remember, but just recently it's changed on its own to no longer display correctly. Any advice? 

2024-03-01_19-10-39.jpg

2024-03-01_19-08-55.jpg

pwhodges

That's a recent change, but I see the same as you.  I think there have been changes in other areas to make folder views more consistent in actually following the folder structure and not collapsing it, and this is a byproduct of the changes.

If you go to the Movies tab, that is as it would be expectedto be.

I suspect that to change back to showing the movies directly in the Folder view would require to be programmed as an explicit exception, and I don't know if that would be deemed appropriate.  But it is necessary to use the Folder view in mixed libraries, because it's the only way to see both movies and series together, so an an exception might be logical.  @Luke??.

Paul

• Agree 1

Happy2Play

Yes this is a per library option on <CollapseSingleItemFolders>false</CollapseSingleItemFolders> (new default).  Since you are seeing mixed library results the system.xml option is already at false.

But now that these options have move to db only it is a little harder to change and require to be set via the api or directly in the database.

If option is change it is destructive and will rebuild the entire library.

Edited by Happy2Play

pwhodges

This change in behaviour has happened without requiring a rebuild, so why would changing it back need a rebuild?

Paul

I think the best solution is that we should keep the folder view more accurate and do what you're seeing now.

To remove the extra click layer, I think the solution for that is that the UI should automatically drill down when a folder only contains a single item.  Windows explorer has an option to do something similar if I recall. I also see apple's finder app does that.

But it is necessary to use the Folder view in mixed libraries, because it's the only way to see both movies and series together, so an an exception might be logical.

Well actually I think we should merge the tabs into Movies and Shows anyway, but that's another topic.

7 minutes ago, pwhodges said:

This change in behaviour has happened without requiring a rebuild, so why would changing it back need a rebuild?

Paul

Maybe the rebuild is not as destructive as it used to be. i haven't tested flipping this option back and forth in a long time, and flipping it back and forth isn't really what it was meant for, so I think it's still right answer to say just to set expectations. If it turns out better than that, then great.

Happy2Play
11 minutes ago, pwhodges said:

Paul

Haven't tested this recently but that is the way it use to be.  And would assume this happened behind the scenes and you have never notice it per the server log.

joetoml1n

Quick Q - this change, where in DB is it or how do I make it? I don't mind a library rebuild if that's the case, I just want it to show correctly again

Thanks

• Agree 1

joetoml1n
19 minutes ago, joetoml1n said:

Quick Q - this change, where in DB is it or how do I make it? I don't mind a library rebuild if that's the case, I just want it to show correctly again

Thanks

Ignore this - found it and fixed it. Cheers all

joetoml1n
10 hours ago, Luke said:

What was the solution?

<CollapseVideoFolders>true</CollapseVideoFolders>

Added this line to the options.xml for the relevant library, which matched the other, working libraries. I then rescanned the library and it sorted itself out.

scb99

Sorry to jump in, I have a Q

It was my understanding that

<CollapseVideoFolders>true</CollapseVideoFolders> was for system.xml

and

<CollapseSingleItemFolders>true</CollapseSingleItemFolders>

was the equivalent per-library option for options.xml (with the system wide option overriding the library setting)

But based on the above it seems like I understood wrong? I wish there was some better documentation.

joetoml1n
Posted (edited)
5 minutes ago, scb99 said:

and

was the equivalent per-library option for options.xml (with the system wide option overriding the library setting)

But based on the above it seems like I understood wrong? I wish there was some better documentation.

Not sure, I just compared the options.xml of my "not working" library to the options.xml for two "correctly working" libraries.

The two working ones both had the CollapseVideoFolders and CollapseSingleItemFolders settings as true. Whereas my not working library did not have CollapseVideoFolders but did have CollapseSingleItemFolders. 

I added it and it worked.

Edited by joetoml1n
Spelling and grammar
  • Like 1

Happy2Play
3 hours ago, scb99 said:

and

You are correct as the <CollapseVideoFolders>true</CollapseVideoFolders> will override all library configs. system.xml  But these were never meant to be user switches so they were not documented and will continue to change at the devs will.

@Lukeare the library options.xml still read if they exist?  

As Emby no longer creates the /root/default/per library folders as it is database only now at least on a new install.

So <CollapseVideoFolders> needs to be false in order for <CollapseSingleItemFolders> false to be honored.

Unless something has changed again and the options no longer sync with each other.

Edited by Happy2Play
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, scb99 said:

and

You are correct. There is no documentation because this was never meant to be something that users flip back and forth based on a preference.

4 hours ago, Happy2Play said:

You are correct as the <CollapseVideoFolders>true</CollapseVideoFolders> will override all library configs. system.xml  But these were never meant to be user switches so they were not documented and will continue to change at the devs will.

@Lukeare the library options.xml still read if they exist?  

As Emby no longer creates the /root/default/per library folders as it is database only now at least on a new install.

So <CollapseVideoFolders> needs to be false in order for <CollapseSingleItemFolders> false to be honored.

Unless something has changed again and the options no longer sync with each other.

When you upgrade to 4.8 the library options are imported into the database. After that they are no longer used.

• Thanks 2