Issue playing video with FLAC audio on Roku App 4.1.15

greinhardt

greinhardt

I am having issues playing several videos which contain only a single audio channel which is FLAC.

Sometimes the audio won't play at all. Other times it will start to play but then the video will run like it is fast forwarding (sync issues).  Skipping around in the file usually results in no audio.

All of these functions work as expected on my other playback devices.

I've played some FLAC CD rips and they seem to play fine on the Roku.

My server is Version 4.8.1.0 on Linux.

The files play with no issue on the Web interface and on my LG TV (Emby for LG 1.0.41).

image.png.7fe77f977857878afefd674b4a36780a.png

embyserver-playback of video with FLAC audio .txt mediainfo.xml

greinhardt
Posted (edited)

If I try the "Attempt Playback correction" option, then the audio seems to works but I lose the Default ASS subtitles. 

I sent two sets of logs from the Roku at around 2:50pm and 2:54pm from user "Glenn".

The first is normal play from start and the second is with the playback correction attempt.

Edited by greinhardt

If I try the "Attempt Playback correction" option, then the audio seems to works but I lose the Default ASS subtitles. 

This is probably what we want to look at, because in your example we are direct playing the original file to the Roku without server involvement. That means it is a problem in the Roku video player and the only thing we can do is work around it by playback correction/transcoding. And of course report the problem to Roku in hopes that it might be fixed in a future OS update.

Using flac in video files is one of those things that yes it's a nice idea, and many devices claim to support it, but then in practice of actually trying to play it, if often doesn't play well. 

greinhardt

OK. 

I attached a server side log with the playback correction. The original log didn't include that but I sent device logs for both.

Using flac in video files is one of those things that yes it's a nice idea, and many devices claim to support it, but then in practice of actually trying to play it, if often doesn't play well. 

The FLAC in video files support seems pretty stable so far on the Web and LG TV interfaces.  But the subtitles look terrible on the LG.

embyserver-playback of video with FLAC audio (Attempt Correction loses ASS subtitles).txt

Can you please attach the ffmpeg log as well? Thanks.

• 3 weeks later...
legierk

Hi guys. My problem is similiar to yours except that I am playing a FLAC audio (only) file. It is on a Roku TV and the app is the latest version. At any rate, the audio is like REEEAAAALLLY slow. Worse than playing a 45rpm record at 33rpm. Weird. As far as I can tell, this is the only file that is doing this. I think other FLAC files are fine....anyhow, just thought I'd throw this out there. This screen shot probably doesn't help, but this is from the server....there is no "error". The file plays, but it's like 1 second is about 5 seconds. (The Judas Priest is mp3 and played fine btw). PS. Thought I'd add that I am now playing the file via my Denon AVR network HEOS (I guess DLNA or something) and it works fine.image.thumb.jpeg.b82007c740deca31c208920345abb6a6.jpeg

Edited by legierk

On 3/17/2024 at 4:54 PM, legierk said:

Hi guys. My problem is similiar to yours except that I am playing a FLAC audio (only) file. It is on a Roku TV and the app is the latest version. At any rate, the audio is like REEEAAAALLLY slow. Worse than playing a 45rpm record at 33rpm. Weird. As far as I can tell, this is the only file that is doing this. I think other FLAC files are fine....anyhow, just thought I'd throw this out there. This screen shot probably doesn't help, but this is from the server....there is no "error". The file plays, but it's like 1 second is about 5 seconds. (The Judas Priest is mp3 and played fine btw). PS. Thought I'd add that I am now playing the file via my Denon AVR network HEOS (I guess DLNA or something) and it works fine.image.thumb.jpeg.b82007c740deca31c208920345abb6a6.jpeg

HI, if it's only one file, perhaps try re-encoding it?

legierk

Thanks for replying Luke. Yeah, this is not that big of a deal to me. I realized that you guys are making the apps for every possible hardware/software combo out there, (eg. Windows, Apple, Roku etc) and sometimes stuff just happens. I can still play the file. I just enjoy the Emby interface more than any other. But it did happen to another FLAC file that I tried. I have never had an issue before this, but again, not a show stopper. 

• Thanks 1

legierk

As a follow up, I noticed that when using the Windows web Emby Theater, there is a setting for "Speed". I played the same FLAC files that play slow on the Windows app, and they play fine. Speed is set to "Normal". I cannot find this setting on the Roku app. It says to adjust Audio go to web app User settings. Anyhow, it only happens to FLAC files, so it is weird indeed. Not sure how the setting could have been changed if I can't even find it.

• Thanks 1

On 3/22/2024 at 5:20 PM, legierk said:

As a follow up, I noticed that when using the Windows web Emby Theater, there is a setting for "Speed". I played the same FLAC files that play slow on the Windows app, and they play fine. Speed is set to "Normal". I cannot find this setting on the Roku app. It says to adjust Audio go to web app User settings. Anyhow, it only happens to FLAC files, so it is weird indeed. Not sure how the setting could have been changed if I can't even find it.

Hi.  The Roku app doesn't have the playback speed setting so that isn't the problem.  It is probably a particular sample rate or something that the Roku doesn't support.

• Agree 1

legierk
15 minutes ago, ebr said:

Hi.  The Roku app doesn't have the playback speed setting so that isn't the problem.  It is probably a particular sample rate or something that the Roku doesn't support.

Yes, I have learned that the files that play slow are only FLAC 96khz/24 bit. All other FLAC files play fine.

• Thanks 1

Just now, legierk said:

Yes, I have learned that the files that play slow are only FLAC 96khz/24 bit. All other FLAC files play fine.

@speechlesdo we have enough info in the app to force a transcode on just 96/24 FLAC?

legierk
8 minutes ago, ebr said:

@speechlesdo we have enough info in the app to force a transcode on just 96/24 FLAC?

ebr, from a end-user standpoint, I just figured it was a limitation in my Roku TV. It (the TV) cannot even pass through Dolby TrueHD (comes out as DD) even when set to bitstream. (Side note: my HTPC failed and I need to build another so that I can stream AV in the native format without my TV limiting what is sent to the AVR).

On 3/25/2024 at 2:00 AM, ebr said:

For music and audio, yes, we probably can since we tell the app what to do. But for the video content which has that audio with that FLAC content we would need to adapt the media profile. I am sure we can do this at this point.

Reference: Issue #1588: [Audio] Fix issue with 96/24 FLAC

Edited by speechles
  • Like 1