Emby server not running. Only Emby tray

VBElec

VBElec

After update of Emby and Windows, Emby server not accessible try local host and/or network.

When start Emby server, Emby server and Emby Tray startup in task manager, after few seconds the Emby server shutdown by itself.

image.png.6f60e9b41ba3bd8801bc068e43bcb19d.png

Hello VBElec,

** This is an auto reply **

Please wait for someone from staff support or our members to reply to you.

It's recommended to provide more info, as it explain in this thread:

Thank you.

Emby Team

VBElec

Before was running 4.7, now upgrade ro latest version, but never work on new version. Had problem from first tine with new version, I have a lot of log files, can only access them true the windows directory. A add some when it started this morning.

Logs.zip

I think there's a couple things going on, but first things first. Can you ensure the server is shutdown, and then install the latest version from our website on top of your existing version?

https://emby.media/windows-server.html

Hopefully that gets the server to start and then we can move onto the other issue that I spotted. Thanks.

VBElec

I did, but still same problem, after installing it starts up, but only Emby tray is working in task manager.

Happy2Play

Do you have any anti-virus/malware programs flagging Emby as it looks like missing files or bad install?

2024-03-01 11:21:42.834 Error Main: Error in appHost.Init
	*** Error Report ***
	Version: 4.8.3.0
	Command line: C:\Users\VB Media Server\AppData\Roaming\Emby-Server\system\EmbyServer.dll
	Operating system: Microsoft Windows 10.0.19045
	Framework: .NET 6.0.27
	OS/Process: x64/x64
	Runtime: C:/Users/VB Media Server/AppData/Roaming/Emby-Server/system/System.Private.CoreLib.dll
	Processor count: 4
	Data path: C:\Users\VB Media Server\AppData\Roaming\Emby-Server\programdata
	Application path: C:\Users\VB Media Server\AppData\Roaming\Emby-Server\system
	System.IO.FileNotFoundException: System.IO.FileNotFoundException: Could not load file or assembly 'Emby.Web.GenericUI, Version=4.8.3.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=null'. The system cannot find the file specified.
	File name: 'Emby.Web.GenericUI, Version=4.8.3.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=null'
	   at Emby.Server.Implementations.ApplicationHost.GetComposablePartAssemblies()
	   at Emby.Server.Implementations.ApplicationHost.DiscoverTypes()
	   at Emby.Server.Implementations.ApplicationHost.Init()
	   at EmbyServer.HostedService.StartAsync(CancellationToken cancellationToken)
	Source: Emby.Server.Implementations
	TargetSite: System.Collections.Generic.List`1[System.Tuple`2[System.Reflection.Assembly,System.String]] GetComposablePartAssemblies()

2024-03-01 11:21:42.836 Info Main: Shutdown complete

But had no issues updating to 4.8.3.0 here.

And looks like there previous version 4.8.1.0 was showing a corrupt database per the zipped logs.

Edited by Happy2Play

2 minutes ago, Happy2Play said:

Do you have any anti-virus/malware programs flagging Emby as it looks like missing files or bad install?

2024-03-01 11:21:42.834 Error Main: Error in appHost.Init
	*** Error Report ***
	Version: 4.8.3.0
	Command line: C:\Users\VB Media Server\AppData\Roaming\Emby-Server\system\EmbyServer.dll
	Operating system: Microsoft Windows 10.0.19045
	Framework: .NET 6.0.27
	OS/Process: x64/x64
	Runtime: C:/Users/VB Media Server/AppData/Roaming/Emby-Server/system/System.Private.CoreLib.dll
	Processor count: 4
	Data path: C:\Users\VB Media Server\AppData\Roaming\Emby-Server\programdata
	Application path: C:\Users\VB Media Server\AppData\Roaming\Emby-Server\system
	System.IO.FileNotFoundException: System.IO.FileNotFoundException: Could not load file or assembly 'Emby.Web.GenericUI, Version=4.8.3.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=null'. The system cannot find the file specified.
	File name: 'Emby.Web.GenericUI, Version=4.8.3.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=null'
	   at Emby.Server.Implementations.ApplicationHost.GetComposablePartAssemblies()
	   at Emby.Server.Implementations.ApplicationHost.DiscoverTypes()
	   at Emby.Server.Implementations.ApplicationHost.Init()
	   at EmbyServer.HostedService.StartAsync(CancellationToken cancellationToken)
	Source: Emby.Server.Implementations
	TargetSite: System.Collections.Generic.List`1[System.Tuple`2[System.Reflection.Assembly,System.String]] GetComposablePartAssemblies()

2024-03-01 11:21:42.836 Info Main: Shutdown complete

But has no issues updating to 4.8.3.0 here.

And looks like there previous version 4.8.1.0 was showing a corrupt database per the zipped logs.

Right the database is the second thing but I think he has antivirus or security software that is tampering with the contents of the server system folder.

@VBElec?

VBElec

We have only the standard Windows 10 anti-virus, even switched is off for testing. now running 4.7.11.0 without any problem.

If I update to 4.8.3.0, everything seems to be ok, when Emby prompt for restart, and show message that it will take about 2 minutes, after that it is not working anymore.

Seems like Emby 4.8.3.0 try to rebuild data base but not succeed. My folder containing program data seems to be read only, but this is now working with 4.7.11.0

With 4.8.3.0 installed, when start Emby server, it comes active for 2 seconds and task manager and shutdown.

Emby.jpg

Happy2Play

@Lukewould have to confirm but 4.7.11.0 skipping versions may be an issue.  Is there changes in .12/.13/.14 that would affect this?  Then same question skipping 4.8.0.80/4.8.1.0?

As no real testing is done skipping releases.

Edited by Happy2Play

2 minutes ago, Happy2Play said:

@Lukewould have to confirm but 4.7.11.0 skipping versions may be an issue.  Is there changes in .12/.13/.14 that would affect this?  Then same question skipping 4.8.0.80/4.8.1.0?

As no real testing is done skipping releases.

I think that’s ok.

7 minutes ago, VBElec said:

We have only the standard Windows 10 anti-virus, even switched is off for testing. now running 4.7.11.0 without any problem.

If I update to 4.8.3.0, everything seems to be ok, when Emby prompt for restart, and show message that it will take about 2 minutes, after that it is not working anymore.

Seems like Emby 4.8.3.0 try to rebuild data base but not succeed. My folder containing program data seems to be read only, but this is now working with 4.7.11.0

With 4.8.3.0 installed, when start Emby server, it comes active for 2 seconds and task manager and shutdown.

Emby.jpg

What are the contents of the system folder?

VBElec

Contents, see printscreen, but this is now from 4.7.11.0

system.jpg

Can you upgrade to 4.8 again and then show us what it looks like?

VBElec

I will Try it later, for the moment get the server back running on 4.7.11.0.

I still have print screen from files of data when 4.8 was installed, it look strange. 

Emby Data.jpg

Happy2Play
2 hours ago, VBElec said:

I will Try it later, for the moment get the server back running on 4.7.11.0.

I still have print screen from files of data when 4.8 was installed, it look strange. 

Emby Data.jpg

What looks strange?

You should do is delete the wal and shm files as they should not exist for closed databases only open ones.

• Thanks 1

adminExitium
52 minutes ago, Happy2Play said:

You should do is delete the wal and shm files

If they are present, that means the server & DB were not closed cleanly and deleting them may actually result in data loss. There's no harm in keeping them since SQLite can read them while starting up for any uncommitted data. The only reason to delete them would be if they were taken at different times from the DB and are not an atomic snapshot/copy of the data folder.

Happy2Play
9 hours ago, adminExitium said:

If they are present, that means the server & DB were not closed cleanly and deleting them may actually result in data loss. There's no harm in keeping them since SQLite can read them while starting up for any uncommitted data. The only reason to delete them would be if they were taken at different times from the DB and are not an atomic snapshot/copy of the data folder.

It may be platform prevalent, but users get corrupt malformed database or locked databases reopening databases that were not properly closed.

adminExitium

Yeah, I have only seen that behaviour rarely when I did a non-atomic copy of the database and it's files. I am a Linux user and have never encountered that issue when doing filesystem snapshots when Emby is running or even copies if Emby is stopped.

VBElec

I will continue another time. and first work on a backup server.