Metadata Bulk edit in Music Category

rawzef
Go to solution Solved by user24,

rawzef

Is there any option for bulk edit metadata for songs? also lock them after you edit the content.

My issue is that everytime I add new music and scan the music folder, all the songs that I previously had come back the way I didn't mean to be organized, so I have to update again all the metadata, it will be good to have the lock option in all the metadata content. Which lead me to my second questions, for example I want to edit 10 songs the artist album, instead of doing it one by one I can pick and choose the one that I need and change the album artist for all the ones I chose (for example)

Thanks community!

wordlover

Better to edit your media files directly using MP3Tag or similar software.

• Agree 1

user24

Yes, MP3Tag works quite well. You can edit a whole album (or even multiple albums) at once if you want to. If changing Album Artist tag, remember to view Extended Tags to check that there is no hidden AlbumArtist tag potentially causing problems. (Both these tags need to be the same, if present).

Also, once you have updated everything with MP3Tag (or similar) you may want to turn off the Album Metadata Downloaders in the Library settings before rescanning the library.

Edited by user24

Hi, bulk edit features are planned for future updates.

However having said that, since music is largely dependent on the embedded information within your audio files, even once we have bulk editing you might still prefer to use an external tool to update your files and make the changes more permanent.

rawzef

Thanks to all for your recommendations! It definetly worked out with the MP3Tag with the new songs I uploaded, though I'm having trouble with the ones that I previously added, I tried and tried to edit the metadata but the old ones keep changing back to the previous metadata everytime I refresh with new MP3 in other folders. Is like is stored somewhere else as well and it reads there.

I tried wiping down the metadata to blank then write it again didn't work :(

23 hours ago, rawzef said:

Thanks to all for your recommendations! It definetly worked out with the MP3Tag with the new songs I uploaded, though I'm having trouble with the ones that I previously added, I tried and tried to edit the metadata but the old ones keep changing back to the previous metadata everytime I refresh with new MP3 in other folders. Is like is stored somewhere else as well and it reads there.

I tried wiping down the metadata to blank then write it again didn't work :(

Hi there, can you please provide an example?

rawzef

In this example I have in my album artists the ones in the red square belong together as they have the same artist album (Armin van Buuren), and the green square also have the same artist album (Avril Lavigne) but they are separated, if you take a look on the metadata that emby have and compared to the one in MP3tag its not the same. I tried to edit on emby the metadata and works but everytime I scan for new files added it ignore the changes I did and goes back to the wrong metadata. This only happens with the files I already had on emby because later I started to edit the metadata first and then add it to my music directory then it works fine only for the new.

emby 2.jpg

emby 3.jpg

emby1.jpg

wordlover

Stop all editing of metadata in Emby. Do all your edits in MP3Tag. Then rescan your whole music library. 

rawzef

Yes I tried that already, used ONLY MP3Tag for metadata then rescan, nothing happens :(

• Solution
user24
Posted (edited)

Hi  @rawzef Your second picture in only showing the Tag Side Panel from MP3Tag. To show ALL of the tags applied to your music you need to View Extended Tags (from the top menu) to get a popup window, as shown below:

Picture3.thumb.jpg.efdfdc58b79154b9b7bc06ea73160e79.jpg

My example shows that it is the ALBUMARTIST test example tag is the one that corresponds with what you will see in the Tag Side Panel.

The ALBUM ARTIST Gary Primich & Friends tag (which in this case is actually correct)  is associated with the individual track selected BUT is HIDDEN from the tag panel.

Perhaps try exploring the hidden tags and see what you find? Sometimes you will just see what is in the side panel and other times there will be many more tags that could be causing problems because you don't know that they are there, BUT Emby is still reading them and importing the data.

Please let us know if this helps or not!

Edited by user24
formatting
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1

rawzef

IT WORKED!!! @user24the hidden tags were the problem! Thanks so much for your time and help! :D

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1