Pass-thru on Android version of App

JackBowman

JackBowman

So, I am starting to use the Android version as opposed to the Android TV version on my TV and surround sound system.  I have ran into an issue with Audio Pass-thru. The settings for Audio Output, Allow DTS Pass-thru, Allow DTS-HD Pass-thru are missing from the Playback area of the settings. As a result I have some DTS, and Dolby Videos that are getting played as PCM format with no surround sound. Any thoughts on this? They all work fine in the Android for TV App. Thanks

Jack

EDIT: At this time it appears to be AAC and TRUEHD formats that are not playing, so the Audio Output setting or lack of could be the issue. DTS formats are playing correctly.

Edited by JackBowman
EDIT

JackBowman

As a follow up the files that do not play correctly are demo sound files. They are pretty non-standard and probably are not a real issue, but the Android TV version does play them all. I do think this is the Audio Output setting that plays them all as it shows them as Dolby Digital format.

Hi, what version of the Emby android app do you have installed?  If you're referring to our standard app, there is no setting for passthrough because it auto-detects, although settings may get added at some point.

• Agree 1

JackBowman

Luke, I have the latest beta/release of both Apps running. The DTS pass-thru are working correctly, as well as Dolby. It is just anything the Audio Output setting in the TV App would catch and play as Dolby Digital that have issues. Like I said I have a set of Demo files for the purpose of testing different formats. I really enjoy Emby and have a lot of fun with it. I am a retired computer IT and Network guy, and geek of 34 years in the field. Thanks for all your hard work!

Jack

CBers
10 hours ago, Luke said:

Hi, what version of the Emby android app do you have installed?  If you're referring to our standard app, there is no setting for passthrough because it auto-detects, although settings may get added at some point.

Been waiting almost 2 years for the options to be added.

I can't use the standard app as my daily use, as it doesn't transcode non-supported audio to Dolby Digital like the Android TV app does.

• Like 2

FrostByte

Luke the misconception a lot of people make is that the option in ATV is for allowing passthrough when actually it's designed to stop passthrough for those who don't want boxes like the Shield converting to PCM 2.0 and instead want the server to convert to AC3 5.1

• Agree 3
  • Thanks 1

• 1 month later...
On 01/03/2024 at 16:07, CBers said:

Been waiting almost 2 years for the options to be added.

I can't use the standard app as my daily use, as it doesn't transcode non-supported audio to Dolby Digital like the Android TV app does.

Yes I have been waiting for this option as well in the standard Android version. Right now I am using the Android TV version to force unsupported audio to DD in Formuler Z8 Pro to get surround sound to Sonos Playbar (optical connection).

The standard Android version will pass through DTS/TrueHD as-is and hence I only get PCM sound ;-(