Roku Ultra, slow movie search alphabet

chrisrobbins1970

chrisrobbins1970

Have a Roku Ultra., hardwired

Is there a way to make the search/scrollng go faster. I can start from the # and go to the letter Z and it can take up to 5mins.

IMG_20240229_141833.jpg

Gilgamesh_48
1 hour ago, chrisrobbins1970 said:

Have a Roku Ultra., hardwired

Is there a way to make the search/scrollng go faster. I can start from the # and go to the letter Z and it can take up to 5mins.

I have seen this problem in the past but I do not currently remember what was done that fixed it. It might have just gone away.

FWIW: I had all my Rokus hardwired and it seemed quite necessary but I picked up a better router and it was suggested that things could actually improve if i went wireless. I tested wireless for a while and discovered that there actually was a slight improvement. I really do not know why but the difference is really noticeable during times of heavy network use. wireless connections on my Roku Ultras is actually better for streaming than wired. It might be just my environment but it is something to check on. I do not think it will improve your search times but it is something to try. 

I have a quite large library (over 800 TV Shows with nearly 40000 episodes and over 4000 movies and a fairly large number of other media files)Currently, on my Rokus, the first scan from #-Z seems quite slow but only actually took about 1.5 minutes. However it did not reach "Z." the search stopped in the "J"s and it was then impossible to get to the rest of the movies. There also was a message in the middle of the screen saying "NO Items found" however there are more items. 

I then switched to my "favorites" by clicking on the "heart' icon on the far left (I have about 600-700 favorites) and i was able to scroll to any item.

After all that I then switched back to showing my entire library and I tried searching two letters at a time and i got to "P" where I encountered the same problem.

I then tested TV and in "shows" the search worked fine but, when I switched to "episodes" it failed just like movies had. 

I suspect there is a problem with timeouts in the search process but, for my movies, right now, there is no way to play the movies past "P" if they have not already been favorited.

I also tested in my browser and it is Ok and I then tested my Fire Stick and it too is OK. The only place i am currently seeing this bug is on my Rokus.

I do not really much like using my Fire stick so it would be good to get this fixed, at least for me.

Edit to add: I have now tested all my libraries and the only ones that are slow are my full movie library and my TV library when showing "episodes." 

It appears, in this case, size does truly matter.

Edited by Gilgamesh_48
addition

chrisrobbins1970

Thank you for the response back. I guess there is really nothing that can be done.

Gilgamesh_48
2 minutes ago, chrisrobbins1970 said:

Thank you for the response back. I guess there is really nothing that can be done.

There is "something" that can be done as Emby can fix the problem. I just hope we don't get a "fix" like taking your dog to the vet to have him "fixed."

chrisrobbins1970

I know if I just scroll through the movies and not use the letters. It goes very fast, but I don;t want to scroll through 6000 movies to get to 'Z'.

Gilgamesh_48
5 minutes ago, chrisrobbins1970 said:

I know if I just scroll through the movies and not use the letters. It goes very fast, but I don;t want to scroll through 6000 movies to get to 'Z'.

I guess we are just talking ot each other. This needs to come to the attention of @ebror @speechlesso the Roku team will become aware. It is irritating but, at least for now, it does not prevent use of our Rokus. :( 

Hi, so what part takes several minutes, when you click Z?

• Facepalm 1

chrisrobbins1970

yes, if start at the top and click on 'Z'..takes a loooong time to get to the bottom using Roku Ultra

Gilgamesh_48
3 minutes ago, Luke said:

Hi, so what part takes several minutes, when you click Z?

I believe that was obvious from the posts above. But maybe, just like you have implied in other threads, we are just lying to make your job harder and there really is no problem. 

After all it seems to be just a few that are effected and only large libraries so it is unimportant.

I see the same problem

3 hours ago, Gilgamesh_48 said:

I have a quite large library (over 800 TV Shows with nearly 40000 episodes and over 4000 movies and a fairly large number of other media files)Currently, on my Rokus, the first scan from #-Z seems quite slow but only actually took about 1.5 minutes. However it did not reach "Z." the search stopped in the "J"s and it was then impossible to get to the rest of the movies. There also was a message in the middle of the screen saying "NO Items found" however there are more items. 

I then switched to my "favorites" by clicking on the "heart' icon on the far left (I have about 600-700 favorites) and i was able to scroll to any item.

After all that I then switched back to showing my entire library and I tried searching two letters at a time and i got to "P" where I encountered the same problem.

I then tested TV and in "shows" the search worked fine but, when I switched to "episodes" it failed just like movies had. 

I suspect there is a problem with timeouts in the search process but, for my movies, right now, there is no way to play the movies past "P" if they have not already been favorited.

I also tested in my browser and it is Ok and I then tested my Fire Stick and it too is OK. The only place i am currently seeing this bug is on my Rokus.

I do not really much like using my Fire stick so it would be good to get this fixed, at least for me.

Edit to add: I have now tested all my libraries and the only ones that are slow are my full movie library and my TV library when showing "episodes." 

It appears, in this case, size does truly matter.

Just so you know I also have the same problem with the jump not working going to Z. Mine will freeze somewhere along the line. Because of the way the Roku works and the way the mechanism hammers the server to get these jumps. Sometimes you get a timeout during a fetch. Presently there is no recovery on the fetch.

I have a personal build where I have a work-in-progress build with a watchdog process that keeps the jumps from locking up. It completes the rendezvous that the timeout prevented and then restarts the fetch process. I can put this on our tracker as an issue and see if we can somehow get this resolved once and for all.

---

@chrisrobbins1970It should not takes 5 minutes to complete the jump process. We may also have to investigate the mechanism that loads the metadata/images and make sure that isn't slowing things down.

Apologies this is still an issue. We will have something soon to resolve this. Please stay tuned.

Gilgamesh_48
3 hours ago, chrisrobbins1970 said:

That works, sort of but it is VERY inconvenient. Just as a point (actually 2 points) of info:
1. You can speed up the scroll a bit by using the FF remote key as it jumps several rows instead of just one. (It pauses from time to time but does get to "Z."
2. Once you do scroll to the end subsequent jumps in the library are nearly instantaneous.

I wonder if some kind of pre-load might speed up the search in the future. Of course it also might slow down initial loading and that would be bad. 

One thing on a jump to any point not the current one it seems that every entry in between loads and that appears to be at least part of the problem but once that index is built it does not need building again. That is Emby dynamically makes the index on the fly but it will NOT jump so to go to entry 2000 in a 4000 movie library all indexes between # and whatever is chosen loads first. I wonder if somehow the in between entries could be skipped? 

Edit to add: It does not take me 5 minutes to go from "#" to "Z" it take a infinite amount of time. It just keeps drawing the little spinning circle or it produces a time out and/or an error message.

Edited by Gilgamesh_48

chrisrobbins1970

so I did a few tests. On the Roku that is hardwired.. I did a scroll test by going from #-M; around 20secs.. then from M-Z around the same 20secs.

I did the same on another Roku that is wireless; #-M around 1mins; then from M-Z, same around 1min,

Then had a remote user (my test subject). Try the same #-Z.. froze; had to go out of emby and back in. But the scroll throught goes really quick. Then same test subject; #-M; around 3mins, them from M-Z; same around 3mins

its just the alphabet thats the issue, if I just scroll through with the down arrow on the remote..goes really fast. However going through nearly 6000 movies that way is a pain.