Advice-Moving from Media centre

ads

Hi Guys

I need help before i wind up totally confusing myself

So long time media center user xp, vista and then stopped at 7 so probably more than 10 years

In the past 2 years i moved Music library off the media center onto sonos as i found browsing i nicer experience with the ipad and iphone we have in the house

I been watching the project for months and now its time to dip my toe

Live TV for me is the deal breaker.  I am in UK and getting DVB-T streams

Current setup is 

RL80 Revo connected to TV with USB stick for dual tuner

My movies running in windows server essentials 2012 running on HP Proliant micro server with 8TB movies, TV and music

So the rig is getting a little long in the tooth, Since swapping to a Revo 2 years ago with a usb stick tuner it never ran as smooth as my home brew with internal tuner, Mainly graphic card issues with the screen black or taking an age to wake up after being idle (its on 24/7) Would be nice to get 3 tuners and HD source but the Revo seems a little under powered

The plan once i played around with media browser backend is :-

Something like Amazon fire HD or Roku (streaming device) to replace Revo and run the TV. The remotes on these look bad (i looking for one remote for all devices and this seems impossible)

Run some Ethernet tuner (like HD home run)

Get windows 8 on the micro server so it can use the back end for the TV server duties with WMC. Also it would be hosting Media browser server and mirroring/backup my collection of movies and TV that been cataloged by mymovies

So the questions

1.  Does this make sense.  I looking to replace a PC connected to TV with a streaming device

2.  Would it be better to keep the "TV server" backend separate to the movie server.  Reliability is better for me than the problems with multiple machines

3.  Does it make sense if i do split server and TV back end into 2 boxes to get a HDhome run (if i can even find one in UK) or build a small box and get internal tuners

Feel free to rip it apart. I don't have an unlimited budget, i can re-purpose a lot of "stuff" i got sat around but in the same way i don't want to compromise on stability. I probably do it in stages anyway due to time.

Vidman

For a streaming device I can recommend the MINIX neo x8h . I have just received mine and it's almost perfect device.... It supports up to 4k video output and 24fps refresh rate and one of the few android device that supports hdmi-cec so everything can be controlled by your original TV remote (if your tv supports hdmi-cec too) the only issue with it is some streaming android apps like Netflix is limited by Netflix to SD quality... But Netflix isn't available in my country anyway

Edited by Vidman

Hi Ads,

I too am moving from a long term MyMovies + MCE setup. I've spent weeks playing with various combinations, and currently have MediaPortal + MB3 plugin on a front-end NUC, Argus TV server in a HP Microserver running 2012R2. I'm hoping that the ArgusTV plugin is soon functional so I can ditch MediaPortal completely and just use MBTheater.

However the TV capability in MB3 is still in it's infancy. The user experience in using it is not a seamless as MCE or MP in the way that TV functions - it's more like selecting a channel to play a movie than switching between channels easily like a normal STB would do. I'm spent some time using the ServerWMC plugin as well, and while it works the front-end is just not stable enough yet IMHO to use in anger as an MCE replacement.

But the project is moving at break-neck speed and I think they will get there soon - at which point you can use just MB3 for everything. 

• 2 months later...
vand3537

I also would like to abandon WMC if possible, but live TV and the shared control of recording/scheduling is what matters to me. 

there are so many of these live TV servers, or "back-ends."  has any risen above the rest?  is there one that is as smooth and reliable as WMC yet?

Edited by vand3537

WarrenH

For UK DVB-T or DVB-S, you're best bet is to stay with a physical tuner USB or Pci Card, and Windows 7 unless you're lucky enough to find drivers for Windows 8. In my opinion, for all it's evils, Win 7 MC still works about the best for viewing and scheduled recording. In my experience an internal card is for more stable than USB, speed, no sleep issues, etc; I use an internal BlackGold card which is the main method or TV viewing and recording thru in 7 MC in our house. And actually, I like the Windows no nonsense guide, it's very responsive and easy to use, without all of the over-complication of Sky or BT Vision.

Spaceboy

I would concur, I have the dvblink plugin set up and working but wmc's functionality and stability keep me using it for now