Wrong mouse back button behavior in Firefox with Emby v4.8.1.0

FreshDog

FreshDog

Hi,

with the Emby Server v4.8.1.0 the mouse back button (mousebutton.4th) doesn't work on Firefox correctly.
E.g. if I open the "Edit Images" dialog in movie details and then click the mouse back button I land on the movie list page again instead of just closing the "Edit Images" dialog.
The same approach works correctly in Chromium and MS Edge.
I looked into the Firefox/Chromium console logs and it seems that the dialogHelper is responsible for the issue.

Here is the console output from Chromium if I press the mouse back button on "Edit Images" dialog:
image.png.8821365fc924d27af2278228997315da.png
The first line is the output after the first press on back button. Here the "Edit Images" dialog is just closed as expected.
The next three lines are the output after a second press on the back button, after which I land on the movie list, too.

And here is the same console output from Firefox:
image.png.abc52f83a3b3866d796af24aa211050a.png
In this case however the three lines are executed right after the first press on mouse back button and I land straight on the movie list page.
The dialogHelper seems not to be processed at all.

I've tested this with a clean Firefox profile without any plugins.
I'm not sure about the Emby v4.7 but in v4.6 the mouse button worked correctly in Firefox.

What can we do to solve this issue?
As Firefox is my main browser it is very annoying to not be able to use the mouse back button with Emby as before.

hi, the issue is that Firefox provides no way to intercept those mouse buttons, which means we can't stop it from doing a full browser navigation backwards. 

FreshDog

But it was (and is still) working in Emby v4.6. So it looks like it's possible. 🤔

What did change in Emby 4.8 (or maybe 4.7) that it's suddenly not possible anymore?

The problem is that things change over time. We used to incorporate the dialog into the url and change it dynamically and that's why it didn't occur before, however there are good reasons not to do that. That leads to tough choices such as this about what's best for all browsers as a whole vs. what's best for one.

FreshDog

Hi Luke,

thank you for your response and the short explanation of the background.
I was also able to find out that Firefox doesn't trigger the mouse events (in this case "mouseup") for the mouse forward/backward buttons while e.g. Chrome does.
That's pretty stupid but I see that this is not Emby's fault.
While I personally would wish that you could keep the old dialog handling I understand if you say there were reasons for not doing this.

But I was able to kind of solve this issue with external tools.
While it's of course not as neat as integrated support it works at least. :)

• Thanks 1