Access denied on shared folder used in libary

Paddy31

Paddy31

Hi,

Today I upgraded my Synology NAS to DSM 7.1.1-42962 Update 6 and installed Emby Server Version 4.8.1.0 for DSM 7. I used the migration instructions on the Emby website (emby.media/community/index.php?/topic/99745-dsm-6-to-dsm-7-emby-migration-instructions/).

After finishing the upgrade and after using Putty, I reinstalled Emby and checked my libraries to see if I could access my music, movies and family photos. While I can play my music and movies, I cannot see any of my photos. I treid removing the Home Videos and Photo library, did a full library scan and then created a new Home Videos and Photo library. Without results. None of my photos are shown in the library. I use shared folders on my NAS and my library paths are set like this:

Folder: /volume1/Photo
Optional SF path: \\pgnas\photo

Folder: /volume1/Music
Optional SF path: \\pgnas\Music

Folder:/volume1/Video/Movies
Optional SF path: \\pgnas\video\movies

Folder: /volume1/Video/Music Videos
Optional SF path: \\pgnas\video\Music Videos

After checking the server logs, I noticed error reports like the one below. While I understand the access denied error, I can't figure out what I am doing wrong. I set read/write permissions for Emby under 'System Internal User' on all of my shared folders that Emby needs access to (see screenshot). Can someone give me advice?

2024-02-27 17:04:51.542 Error App: Error in GetFileSystemEntries for /volume1/Photo/Photo/1971 tot
    *** Error Report ***
    Version: 4.8.1.0
    Command line: /volume1/@appstore/EmbyServer/system/EmbyServer.dll -programdata /var/packages/EmbyServer/var -ffdetect /var/packages/EmbyServer/target/bin/ffdetect -ffmpeg /var/packages/EmbyServer/target/bin/ffmpeg -ffprobe /var/packages/EmbyServer/target/bin/ffprobe -nolocalportconfig -ignore_vaapi_enabled_flag -pidfile /var/packages/EmbyServer/var/EmbyServer.pid -defaultdirectory /volume1/Public -updatepackage emby-server-synology7_{version}_x86_64.spk
    Operating system: Linux version 3.10.108 (root@build4) (gcc version 8.5.0 (GCC) ) #42962 SMP Mon May 29 14:35:41 CST 2023
    Framework: .NET 6.0.25
    OS/Process: x64/x64
    Runtime: volume1/@appstore/EmbyServer/system/System.Private.CoreLib.dll
    Processor count: 2
    Data path: /var/packages/EmbyServer/var
    Application path: /volume1/@appstore/EmbyServer/system
    System.UnauthorizedAccessException: System.UnauthorizedAccessException: Access to the path '/volume1/Photo/1971 tot' is denied.
     ---> System.IO.IOException: Permission denied
       --- End of inner exception stack trace ---

Screenshot.png

embyserver(3).txt

Hi, did you set the permissions recursively? What if you add one new photo under /volume1/Photo, then run a library scan. Does that get detected?

Paddy31

Hi Luke,

Your comment about recursive permissions got me thinking because i did not understand why I only had troubles with the Photo shared folder and not the other ones. And before I ran the DSM 7.1 update everything was working fine. Then I found a msg on the Synology forum that Photo is a special shared folder name and you have to manage permissions with the Synology Photo app (which I don't use). And I could see in the File Station app that the (system internal user) Emby account had no permissions on the subfolders in the Photo folder. And I could not add those permissions with File Station.

So I resolved the issue by creating a new shared folder with a slightly different name, gave the (system internal user) Emby account r/w permissions, added the new path to the Photo library and copied one photo to that new share. It was immediately found by Emby. After that I copied all of my photos to that new share and run the library scan. I can now see of all of the photos in Emby again.

Thanks for responding and setting me on the right track!

• Thanks 1