DDNS (no-ip.com) for external remote access?

chrisrobbins1970

chrisrobbins1970

How can I setup DDNS (no-ip.com) for remote external access?

I have the host created. I put in the host under external access on the synology. Under External domain on the emby network I also added the host name. Under the dashbaord it shows for extneral Remote (WAN) access http://(hostname):8096. I have also added the HTTPS on the router for port forwarding. I can access the server remotly using the public ip address but not using DDNS.

What am I missing ?

Edited by GrimReaper
Link removed

Q-Droid

Let's assume that by hostname you mean the fully qualified domain name you got from no-ip. 

Is that domain resolving to your public IP address? nslookup <domain> or ping <domain>

DDNS needs a method to update the IP should it change. Can your router or Synology box do this? The IP address can be updated manually until you get the updater configured.

mattl1979

I set up a DNS name using DDNS/No-IP and then set up my Asus router to use it. In Emby, I set the full DNS name, i.e. customdomain.ddns.net, as the External Domain under Network. Finally, I port forward the Emby HTTPS port from my router to my NAS. Make sure you have a trusted SSL certificate as well.

chrisrobbins1970

where do I get the a trusted SSL certificate ?

Edited by chrisrobbins1970

Q-Droid

You should remove your URL from the first post, it's going to a valid Emby server login.

chrisrobbins1970

My origianl post I am unable to edit

update: GrimReaper  thank you for removing the link

still unable to EDIT. i was going to remove it all together

Edited by chrisrobbins1970

Happy2Play

Yes the text is masked but the url in under the text is not.  If you can't figure it out the @GrimReapershould be able to fix it.

chrisrobbins1970

I have the host setup on my TP-LINK router and its successful. Also port forwared the 8920 for the synology. On emby I added the host to the external domain.

but still not connecting....

Q-Droid

Are you trying to connect with HTTPS on port 8920? You need to configure Emby with SSL (TLS) for that.

mattl1979
50 minutes ago, chrisrobbins1970 said:

where do I get the a trusted SSL certificate ?

No-IP provides one as part of your plan. They call it the "No-IP Vital Encrypt DV". In terms of the CSR, getting the certificate in the right format, etc., I believe there is an FAQ somewhere.

chrisrobbins1970

I am using the FREE no-ip. It i don;t see where to get a SSL certificate. Do I need to have a PAID version to get the certificate ?

7 minutes ago, chrisrobbins1970 said:

I am using the FREE no-ip. It i don;t see where to get a SSL certificate. Do I need to have a PAID version to get the certificate ?

Hi, there's lots of ways to setup SSL. Have you taken a look at this?

Q-Droid
44 minutes ago, chrisrobbins1970 said:

Explore the options available on Synology. I believe you have options on the platform like DDNS service that can update no-ip, built-in reverse proxy and the ability to obtain certificates from Let's Encrypt. As far as I know they are free.